Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tips for flying with 17 month old

Tips for flying with 17 month old

Old Jan 16th 2006, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

LisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really nice
Default Tips for flying with 17 month old

We are off to Perth on 4th Feb and this will be our first long flight with 17 month boy. We luckily have the seats at the front with a bassinet (which I am aware may be a little small).
Does anyone have any tips for making this comfortable for all three of us? And also can we use the bassinet to sleep him in?
Old Jan 16th 2006, 9:38 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Tips for flying with 17 month old

Originally Posted by LisaT
We are off to Perth on 4th Feb and this will be our first long flight with 17 month boy. We luckily have the seats at the front with a bassinet (which I am aware may be a little small).
Does anyone have any tips for making this comfortable for all three of us? And also can we use the bassinet to sleep him in?
My almost 2 year old slept happily in the bassinet (feet dangling over the edge!!). The only irritation with it is if there is turbulence or you're starting the descent. The kids' meals are always served first (along with the veggies etc) so you get to finish with their food before yours arrives.

Good luck!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

Ours slept in one with legs hanging over the end, they are allowed in them up to 17kg I think.

We took some small presents for the flight so when he started getting too bored and disruptive we could pull out something new to give to him to unwrap.

Some calpol half an hour before the flight is also a good idea, will prevent any pain in his ears which would of course make him grumpy and should make him sleepy (always a good thing).

Failing that drinking alot of gin should do it
Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

LisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really nice

Thanks for that. Good news.

I have been told of ear plugs a bit like gromets you can get that releases the pressure in the ears slower. Thought I might try these myself and see if I can get some for little man. Anyone used them?
Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. Good news.

I have been told of ear plugs a bit like gromets you can get that releases the pressure in the ears slower. Thought I might try these myself and see if I can get some for little man. Anyone used them?

Mine was still having a bottle so I just gave him one at take off and landing. The sucking relieves the pressure and helps. The stewards normally give out boiled sweets at take off for this reason.

Haven't heard of the ear plugs, but its getting a 17 month old to keep them in, I know mine wouldn't
Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Pay for the child's grandparents to take him over . WE took our lad who was 18months at the time, you just have to keep them occupied. So bring a few of his favourite toys and a few surprises for him. Good luck .
Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:44 am
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

We found the worrying about it was far worse than the actual experience Lisa.

One great advantage of having the seats you have is not only the basinet for when the nipper sleeps (yes they aren't huge but our youngest was nearly 2 but fitted ok) - but also that you have heeps of leg room compared to others in cattle class.

When he's awake he can play on the floor, and the other bonus is there are no people in front of you to stress about him disturbing.

As a contingency - see your pharmacist about Fennegan (I've probably spelt that wrong), or other sedative. It's just a little piece of mind, although we didn't need it with either of our two.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:47 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're still breastfeeding, then that would help immensely with take-off and landing for equalising the pressure in the ears.

Please resist medicating a child so young.

Sue
Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:48 am

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lewis Lapthorn
We found the worrying about it was far worse than the actual experience Lisa.

One great advantage of having the seats you have is not only the basinet for when the nipper sleeps (yes they aren't huge but our youngest was nearly 2 but fitted ok) - but also that you have heeps of leg room compared to others in cattle class.

When he's awake he can play on the floor, and the other bonus is there are no people in front of you to stress about him disturbing.

As a contingency - see your pharmacist about Fennegan (I've probably spelt that wrong), or other sedative. It's just a little piece of mind, although we didn't need it with either of our two.

hiya

the sedative is phenergen, i havnt used it myself (for the children!! ) but would be interested in how others have got on with it

i am going to travel with a nine yr old, 3 yr and 19 month old :scared:

so anything that would help, please post it here!!!

thanks all

mand
Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
If you're still breastfeeding, then that would help immensely with take-off and landing for equalising the pressure in the ears.

Please resist medicating a child so young.

Sue

do you have any alternatives in mind? would be happy to try them

mand
Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by amanda76
hiya

the sedative is phenergen, i havnt used it myself (for the children!! ) but would be interested in how others have got on with it

i am going to travel with a nine yr old, 3 yr and 19 month old :scared:

so anything that would help, please post it here!!!

thanks all

mand

Be very careful when using pherergen, it can have the opposite effect and send them hyper. I tested mine on it first and he was bouncing off the walls for about four hours and know a few other kids where it has done the same.

Test it at home first when your feeling brave.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

mand
I personally think calpol should always be used before a flight, they can suffer terribly with their ears, the drowsiness is just an added bonus from it. If they are in pain it won't help with anyones stress levels.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 11:45 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachel1978
Be very careful when using pherergen, it can have the opposite effect and send them hyper.
It had the same effect on my sister in laws kids too !
Old Jan 16th 2006, 12:06 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

mand
Sorry Mand - do you mean alternatives to breastfeeding or alternatives to medication?

If the latter, what would you be medicating them for? Ear problems, for example? Anxiety? Easier to make a suitable suggestion if I know what the medication is needed for.

Sue
Old Jan 16th 2006, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Sorry Mand - do you mean alternatives to breastfeeding or alternatives to medication?

If the latter, what would you be medicating them for? Ear problems, for example? Anxiety? Easier to make a suitable suggestion if I know what the medication is needed for.

Sue

yes sue, anxiety and generally calming littleuns down when they are out of routine

i have reasonably strict bedtime routine which makes bed time no problems, apart from when that routine is mixed up!!

am i right in thinking you are "in the know" alternative therapy wise, if so would you mind me pm ing you?

mand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.