Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A tip for those without air conditioners

A tip for those without air conditioners

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 11:40 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default A tip for those without air conditioners

If all you have to beat the heat are fans, get yourself a water spray bottle (garden section of any k-mart). Sit yourself in front of the fan and spray towards the fan it really helps to cool you down, plus my 19 month old gets a real kick out of it !!
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 11:57 pm
WBB

Default Re: A tip for those without air conditioners

Originally posted by Luke I Amyofath
If all you have to beat the heat are fans, get yourself a water spray bottle (garden section of any k-mart). Sit yourself in front of the fan and spray towards the fan it really helps to cool you down, plus my 19 month old gets a real kick out of it !!

just hope the water does not hit any electrical parts, could be nasty.

Old Jan 4th 2004, 12:50 am
Banned

Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

nah, the idea is to spray towards the fan, not in it !! the fan blades blow the water mist away from the motor, but ya wouldnt understand seeing as Wales has no use for fans unless they blow heat towards ya :P

another hot one here, having lunch them off to the pool I spose

Old Jan 4th 2004, 1:04 am
WBB

Originally posted by Luke I Amyofath
nah, the idea is to spray towards the fan, not in it !! the fan blades blow the water mist away from the motor, but ya wouldnt understand seeing as Wales has no use for fans unless they blow heat towards ya :P
i hope your right.

Old Jan 4th 2004, 1:37 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i hope your right.

That's really sad, staying up until the wee small hours to get your 3000th post. Go to bed, for the sake of your sanity!

Steve
Old Jan 4th 2004, 1:38 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The northerly winds are welling up the deep ocean currents and the water in Sydney has dropped back down to 17c. It was 20 last week. Back to the springsuit.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 1:43 am
WBB

Originally posted by SteveBannister
That's really sad, staying up until the wee small hours to get your 3000th post. Go to bed, for the sake of your sanity!

Steve
lol

if only it were that simple......

Old Jan 4th 2004, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

davidw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Portable Evaporative Air Coolers

Thanks for the cooling tip, Perth's sweltering today, anyone have any experience of portable evaporative air coolers, eg Convair Millenia, in Perth? Alternatively, portable air conditioners?

Many thanks,

David
Old Jan 4th 2004, 6:54 am
Banned

Default Re: Portable Evaporative Air Coolers

Originally posted by davidw
Thanks for the cooling tip, Perth's sweltering today, anyone have any experience of portable evaporative air coolers, eg Convair Millenia, in Perth? Alternatively, portable air conditioners?

Many thanks,

David
Im stuck with the fans because the woman has one of those personal air conditioners. They arent very good, at least from my point of view !! They cost close to $1000 and wouldnt cool an area of 6' sq.
I used to use a 6000 BTU window air conditioner in Toronto Canada, they only cost about $250. I know they are a bit dated now but they work a charm but I think they are far more expensive here.
I find that the evenings do cool down outdoors but Im in an old type mining cottage circa 1900 and theres no insulation plus a tin roof so you can imagine the inside temp here !! We rent and the owners dont want us to put a/c in so were stuck.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 7:43 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Portable Evaporative Air Coolers

Many thanks,

David
I had a Convair Cooler in UK about 20 years ago, we had a hot summer ! And it didn't do much then !!!
Not been game to try one over here

I've been told that the portable air conditioners dont do much either, except in a small, fully enclosed room.

Old Jan 4th 2004, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Thanks very much,appreciate this, if the Convair didn't cut it 20 years ago in the UK, Ii'm also loath to try it in OZ. Do you know if wall mounted or ducted evaporative systems are good? I'd rather go ducted because of the lower energy use.

Best,

David
Old Jan 4th 2004, 8:06 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks very much,appreciate this, if the Convair didn't cut it 20 years ago in the UK, Ii'm also loath to try it in OZ. Do you know if wall mounted or ducted evaporative systems are good? I'd rather go ducted because of the lower energy use.

Best,

David
Have you looked at this thread
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=197348

A wall mounted normal air con unit will try to cool the entire area that is available to it, and will work hard to cool the furthest point in the house, but will nearly freeze anyone sitting under the unit.
Accidentally leave a few windows open, and it will keep working to cool the outside area too

Ducted is much more efficient, but more initial cost.

Old Jan 4th 2004, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Thanks very much for the helpful reply, I'll check the thread. having initially scoffed at airconditioning in Perth, I think I'm converted!

Best wishes

David
Old Jan 4th 2004, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Thanks very much for the helpful reply, I'll check the thread. having initially scoffed at airconditioning in Perth, I think I'm converted!

Best wishes

David
Old Jan 4th 2004, 8:23 am
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

I had a Millenia when I was in Perth last time, it was useless in the summer in the house we had (Ellenbrook). I wouldnt buy one again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.