Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tip the packers?

Tip the packers?

Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

lynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nice
Default Tip the packers?

John Mason are packing up our household goods today!! Is it customary to tip the chaps doing the packing? If so how much? ( we have a 20 foot container).
Also what is the norm in providing lunch, drinks etc?
Thanks!
Lynette
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tip the packers?

We didn't do anything during the day other that tea and biscuits/cake.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Just keep them fed and watered.

Charlie
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:31 am
Account Closed

aglassofwinehelps is an unknown quantity at this point

We fed, watered and tipped. They worked hard.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't tip either, just lots of cuppas throughout the day. Figured the £3400 we paid them was more than enough!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:53 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I tipped because they did such a great job and they don't get paid the 3400 quid, in fact they get crap money. 2 days of packing and loading. We had 2 guys and I gave them 20 quid each in addition to the copious amounts of tea and hob nobs!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

lynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nice

Thanks everyone. Will have to go with tips then as the first thing they packed was the kettle!! Am dying for a cuppa myself. Have to do a beverages/lunch run into town
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by northernbird
I tipped because they did such a great job and they don't get paid the 3400 quid, in fact they get crap money. 2 days of packing and loading. We had 2 guys and I gave them 20 quid each in addition to the copious amounts of tea and hob nobs!
I agree, they don't get a decent wage and they work bloody hard. I always tipped the dustmen at Christmas too
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:21 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
We didn't tip either, just lots of cuppas throughout the day. Figured the £3400 we paid them was more than enough!
Tight Arse , cant wait to see how your stuff roll,s up . if it doe,s .....mm
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mr mover
Tight Arse , cant wait to see how your stuff roll,s up . if it doe,s .....mm
Not sure tipping ensures a successful voyage, we had lots of damage, still trying to sort through the insurance, bloody nightmare.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:31 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

We just gave them lots of tea and coffee and the OH went out in the snow to get them bacon, fresh bread, biccies and crisps and crashed his car doing so, they didn't seem to appreciate the trouble we went to either, GRRR LOL
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:49 am
Account Closed

Whether it's appreciated or not I was always brought up to tip. My mom, being Irish, always gave a plateful of food and a large tip to tradesmen who worked hard, she couldn't help herself, in was in her genes
Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

sadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lynetteh
John Mason are packing up our household goods today!! Is it customary to tip the chaps doing the packing? If so how much? ( we have a 20 foot container).
Also what is the norm in providing lunch, drinks etc?
Thanks!
Lynette
We fed them and gave numerous cups of coffee / tea / juice etc.. and a nice tip. Service was very good, we had done this 3 times !!!!
God ! removal men must love us, We also gave drinks and tipped the people who dropped it all off. We had paid for the unpacking service 3 times, but in the end just got them to drop the stuff off anywhere they could and we did all the unpacking... On saying that we have about 30 boxes we haven't unpacked since 2006... God knows we paid for insurance as we wouldn't have a bloody clue who broke anything ha ha
Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:52 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute

We threw tea, coffee and biscuits at them like relief workers in Somalia.

I didn't tip the packers, but I tipped the unpackers. They did a brilliant job on a screaming hot day.

Old Apr 19th 2010, 4:50 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aglassofwinehelps
Whether it's appreciated or not I was always brought up to tip. My mom, being Irish, always gave a plateful of food and a large tip to tradesmen who worked hard, she couldn't help herself, in was in her genes

You could be talking about my Mum

Same here, I always tip, I would feel bad if I didn't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.