Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tip for buying a new car!

Wikiposts

Tip for buying a new car!

Old Feb 7th 2007, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tip for buying a new car!

Originally Posted by youngy73
you may think you got a good deal but the salesman is the real winner. know a bloke here who works for toyota. makes about 120000 a year selling new. scary really.
And sadly most simply see you as the $$$ in your wallet. That's why it's best to have as little to do with them as possible. Ditto for real estate agents.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 9:49 am
Just Joined

pfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

OK link to URL was removed - fair enough but here are the tips below... They should be useful to many of you. Cheers

Tips for Before you go

• Do as much research as possible before going out shopping. Read reviews from independent sources (don't just read the manufacturer's reviews - they always make the cars sound the best buy!), use the internet and call the NRMA technical advice line (free to members)
  • Gather together any information you have on the car including reviews, manufacturer’s specifications etc. Pop a calculator into your shopping pack too.
  • Speak to friends, family, trusted mechanics etc. Try to find someone in your circle of friends and family who owns or has owned the vehicle you are looking at.
  • Consider whether you will buy all the options through the dealer.Although convenient, you may pay more than if you bought the parts after the purchase from an independent retailer.You’ll also save on stamp duty (remember, though, that many people value ‘genuine’ options more highly)
  • Decide before you go whether you will trade-in your current vehicle or sell it privately.Accept that the wholesale price for your vehicle will be a lot lower than a potential private sale price.
  • If you are trading in your car, concentrate on the changeover price as that is what an upgrade will ultimately cost you (be aware that the wholesale value of your car will always be way less than you think!)
  • Set yourself a budget before you go. Write down this budget on a piece of paper and stick to it!
  • Organise to take a friend if possible. A friend can not only reduce the chance of 'buying on emotion' having an ally can build support when it comes to negotiating
  • If you are
financing , seek a pre-approval before you go out shopping.

Tips for At the Dealership

• Be firm but fair with dealers. No Dutch auctions (take one dealers price to the next and ask them to beat it then do the same with the next dealer) - in return promise to buy the car from the dealer who delivers the lowest price.
  • Be careful of the 'sacrificial lamb' - this is the car advertised at a massively discounted price but when you turn up it has sold or the dealer tries to talk you into something else.
  • Enjoy a thorough test-drive of the vehicle.Don’t even start negotiating until you’ve had a test-drive and 100% decided on the vehicle.
  • Never let a dealer know that you are desperate for a car.Even if you’re current car is on its last legs, adopt a casual take it or leave it attitude.
  • Never hand over your licence or credit card until you have 100% agreed on a price.
  • Don’t pay a deposit until you are certain that you want to purchase the car.Once you’ve paid that deposit, accept that the purchase has been made (relax) and stop shopping around!
  • Don’t end up dealing with two salespeople.If you feel you’re being ganged up on, either ignore one of the salespeople completely or walk out.
  • Don’t fall for sympathy votes by the salesperson! “Forgive me, I’m new at this — I’ve only worked here a week” or “I could lose my job if I don’t make my target today” are specifically designed to make you lower your guard.
  • Don’t make unreasonable offers or lie about prices that you may have been offered elsewhere.You will invariably get caught out and this will hinder your actual negotiation power.
  • Negotiate the vehicle price with all the options included if you are buying genuine options.
  • Get a confirmed delivery date in writing.Make sure that this is realistic.
  • Ensure that all on-road costs are included (dealer delivery, stamp duty, registration and compulsory insurance charges)
  • Be wary of “free extended warranties”. Dealer warranties are rarely as comprehensive as manufacturer’s warranties and often carry a vital (and expensive) condition — that you always service the car at that dealership for the period of the warranty. A six year guaranteed captive income is the only reason they can offer this “free” extra.
  • Be wary of the following classic dealer lines:
  • the car is the only one in the country
  • the price only applies for today (the bonus expires at 5pm!)
  • they'll have to speak to their manager
  • they or a member of their family drives the same car and loves it (what an amazing coincidence!)

{edit by mod - blatant advertising removed}

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Feb 8th 2007 at 7:52 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Fancy a visit to me in Melbourne around April 07?
God I know I do Will get you a fantastic deal on a car if you can put me up for a few weeks and cover air fares
Old Feb 8th 2007, 10:02 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

pfleet ... trying your company.. lets see what happens... It was a ballpark on a kia sorrento