Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tip for buying a new car!

Tip for buying a new car!

Old Jan 20th 2007, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tip for buying a new car!

I bought a new Toyota today and got a ace deal.

Here's what you do!
1 - Decide on make, model, colour and spec
2 - Get the yellow pages out and pick 5 large dealers
3 - Go to the first and say "how much"
4 - When he tell's the price say "last chance whats your best walk away price"
5 - He will give you a price and ask you to sign, so tell him you will at 4pm
6 - Go to the next dealer with the price you just got and deduct $500 and tell them that was the price and you want them to beat it, also tell him the above speil.
7 - Go the the next dealer and the next etc

At about 2'ish you will have the best price so go back to the dealer who give you the price and tell him you will sign if he gives you a further $500 discount mats, full tank of fuel and the first service free (which will be the 2nd service because the first service is free anyway) as soon as you have asked stay quiet

Remember the more they sell the better discount they get from Toyota so if they make a loss it does not matter that much because that sale might get them to the next level of discount.

Ian

Ps I am available for hire in the Brisbane area

You'll get a good deal.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

rangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nice
Default Re: Tip for buying a new car!

Yes and what car did you buy and how much?
Old Jan 20th 2007, 7:23 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon

Here's what you do!
6 - Go to the next dealer with the price you just got and deduct $500 and tell them that was the price and you want them to beat it, also tell him the above speil.

At about 2'ish you will have the best price so go back to the dealer who give you the price and tell him you will sign if he gives you a further $500 discount mats, full tank of fuel and the first service free (which will be the 2nd service because the first service is free anyway) as soon as you have asked stay quiet

Remember the more they sell the better discount they get from Toyota so if they make a loss it does not matter that much because that sale might get them to the next level of discount.

Ian

You'll get a good deal.
So the question we want to know is

Which model and series you got?
What extras that included?
What was the price?
Old Jan 20th 2007, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a 2007 Toyota Yaris 1.5, 5 door in metallic caribbean blue.

http://yaris.toyota.com.au/toyota/ve...01_662,00.html

Extras Included -

Toyota mats
Full tank of fuel
6 month Rego
2nd service
Paint protection (bought a house next to the sea and I can't picture the Mrs polishing it)
window tints (stops the heat)
undersealed (again the sea)
rust proofed (sea knacker cars)
all the seats and carpet stained proofed (two kids under 5)
all plastic (dash, door tops etc) heat proofed against the sun

And I paid $18,200 I'll pick it up when the Mrs gets here.

The Toyota web site quotes $19,690 but you have to add dealer delivery, statutory charges (gst + stamp duty) and optional extras like metallic paint and all the other stuff.

Here's a selection of used

http://www.autotrader.com.au/search-...ubs_Used+Cars_

So for me it was better to buy new.

I bought a house today as well

Ian

Last edited by Ian & Sharon; Jan 20th 2007 at 8:14 am.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Louiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to behold

thanks for the tip - very helpful.
just one thing, you have 2 kids and you bought a yaris???
what do you do with bikes, and all the stuff kids bring with them?
Louise
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:36 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what you do!

Ian

You'll get a good deal.
Excellent advice. You could also try using an online car broker such as private fleet. They do all the running around to get the best price then you knock them down from their best price by getting your local dealer to match it. By going back and forth between them and our dealer we managed to get $5.5K off our dealers original price and we got a full tank, watercraft carrier, free delivery, tow bar and window tints thrown in
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:38 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a 2007 Toyota Yaris 1.5, 5 door in metallic caribbean blue.

http://yaris.toyota.com.au/toyota/ve...01_662,00.html

Extras Included -

Toyota mats
Full tank of fuel
6 month Rego
2nd service
Paint protection (bought a house next to the sea and I can't picture the Mrs polishing it)
window tints (stops the heat)
undersealed (again the sea)
rust proofed (sea knacker cars)
all the seats and carpet stained proofed (two kids under 5)
all plastic (dash, door tops etc) heat proofed against the sun

And I paid $18,200 I'll pick it up when the Mrs gets here.

The Toyota web site quotes $19,690 but you have to add dealer delivery, statutory charges (gst + stamp duty) and optional extras like metallic paint and all the other stuff.

Here's a selection of used

http://www.autotrader.com.au/search-...ubs_Used+Cars_

So for me it was better to buy new.

Ian
Fancy a visit to me in Melbourne around April 07?
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:39 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ian
...and well done on the house!
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by busterboy
Fancy a visit to me in Melbourne around April 07?
Could visit me cuz at the the same time
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

...and well done on the house!
Don't want to start on that one
Used the "worst house best street" theory and very chuffed with the results.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Louiselondon
thanks for the tip - very helpful.
just one thing, you have 2 kids and you bought a yaris???
what do you do with bikes, and all the stuff kids bring with them?
Louise
Use my car and leave the wifes Yaris at home
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:56 am
A rather curious boy

Use my car and leave the wifes Yaris at home

I plan to buy a Yaris too. OH will buy meaty bloke type vehicle. What's yours?
Old Jan 20th 2007, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

I plan to buy a Yaris too. OH will buy meaty bloke type vehicle. What's yours?
Its a 12 month old commodore and I can't believe its not got traction control, I put my foot down at a set of lights the other morning, it was damp and the wheels just spun! It felt like I'd gone back to the 80's and I'd just past my test

Got to learn not to boot it when wet and at lights
Old Feb 7th 2007, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

pfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone!

First post! Was having a bit of a squizz as I'm a british expat (moved here in 1999) and I spotted on the front page an article "Buying new cars - do they discount in Oz?"

That took my interest because that's exactly what I do in my company - Private Fleet. We're a car broker and we buy cars for private buyers and use our buying power to negotiate a good deal etc etc..

From there someone had linked to this post and I was very surprised to see my company mentioned there!

Anyway, a while ago I put a bunch of tips on our website and thought they might be useful here -

{edit by mod - please pm member for details of their website, advertising is not permitted on the forum}

Also, let me just say that often the hard-nosed, playing one dealer off against each other and lying about prices obtained elsewhere isn't always the best method. Firm but fair is much better for everybody. Dealers often have a bad rep because they are always having to respond to these sorts of tactics - try and remember that they're only trying to do their job!

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Feb 8th 2007 at 7:34 am.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 7:25 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what you do!

Ian

You'll get a good deal.
you may think you got a good deal but the salesman is the real winner. know a bloke here who works for toyota. makes about 120000 a year selling new. scary really.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.