Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Timor - Give it or Sock it to 'em?

Timor - Give it or Sock it to 'em?

Old Apr 22nd 2004, 8:40 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Timor - Give it or Sock it to 'em?

East Timor - stuffed by Indonesia, invaded by Australian troops post independence vote. One of the poorest nations.

Oodles of natural gas on the Australian continental shelf closer to the Timor shores than to Australian shores - Timor wants more than 20% of royalties.

Give it to the poor buggers or stick to the letter of the law and previous agreements?

Neighbours battle for Timor Sea

Old Apr 22nd 2004, 9:27 am
Australian Flyer

Pedro Downunder is an unknown quantity at this point

You forgot something important in Timor's History "Portugal"... Timor is a Portugues ex colony, abandoned by Portugal.

Has for the oil, i read ( cant remember where now ) that legally Timor is entitled to much more than 20%

Kind Regards
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 10:47 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Pedro Downunder
You forgot something important in Timor's History "Portugal"... Timor is a Portugues ex colony, abandoned by Portugal.

Has for the oil, i read ( cant remember where now ) that legally Timor is entitled to much more than 20%

Kind Regards
The reason for the Timor "Gap": 1974-75 negotiations with colonial Portugal.

Defining the "Gap"

I think it comes down to: Are boundaries set by:
1. Geology (royalties derive from resources on the Australian land mass - but Papua is on it too),
2. Bi-lateral negotiation (Portuguese, Indonesian & East Timor)
3. International Law (not clear cut).

Last edited by Megalania; Apr 22nd 2004 at 10:57 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 10:50 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
Defining the "Gap"
"an overpriced American clothes retailer"
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 11:03 am
Banned

Originally posted by hevs
"an overpriced American clothes retailer"
That's 1 sock it to 'em then.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 11:08 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

OK mate, if you say so.

But my lifes filled with much more interesting and burning issues than these mere squabbles, like WHAT the heck am i gonna do to get out of the Tupperware party
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 11:21 am
Banned

Originally posted by hevs
OK mate, if you say so.

But my lifes filled with much more interesting and burning issues than these mere squabbles, like WHAT the heck am i gonna do to get out of the Tupperware party
With typical wily womanly duplicity say you are going to a pro-war rally outside the East Timor consulate whilst glintingly filing your chainsaw.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 11:26 am
High in the Dandenongs

GOOD CALL!!!!

I'm gonna put that on my thread, best excuse yet
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 12:40 pm
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

The body parts from your East Timor pro-war rally chainsaw massacre will stay fresh for weeks in your newly aquired tupperware containers
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 6:14 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I reckon Australia has a good claim on that oil.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 6:31 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by Megalania
With typical wily womanly duplicity say you are going to a pro-war rally outside the East Timor consulate whilst glintingly filing your chainsaw.
Obvious solution: the good people of East Timor should get payment in *Tupperware*, instead of cash.

(Anyone recall that bit in the movie 'Airplane' about Tupperware....?)

Sorry Megs to assist in the Hi-Jacking of yr thread (there's no emoticon for looking remorseful).

Anya.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 7:18 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by anya4oz
Anyone recall that bit in the movie 'Airplane' about Tupperware....?
Made me laugh anyway
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 7:45 am
High in the Dandenongs

missed this one earlier, pmsl at you all

Sorry megs (remorseful face needed)