Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Time to open aus account?

Time to open aus account?

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Time to open aus account?

I have £30.000 to exchange in aus, I am waiting for my visa at the moment, we have sent everything off and we have a case officer, so hopefully should not be too long now, we are hoping to be in perth bu June.
Just wandered on your thoughts, is it worth holding off changing money for a better exchange rate or just setting up an aus high interest acount and changing now.
Does anyone know what the best account is, that you can set up from the UK.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Time to open aus account?

Originally Posted by ukdarren22
I have £30.000 to exchange in aus, I am waiting for my visa at the moment, we have sent everything off and we have a case officer, so hopefully should not be too long now, we are hoping to be in perth bu June.
Just wandered on your thoughts, is it worth holding off changing money for a better exchange rate or just setting up an aus high interest acount and changing now.
Does anyone know what the best account is, that you can set up from the UK.
Use Ozforex to transfer your money. They are the best. You can book a good rate and change when you're ready.
We opened a Commonwealth account in Oz. No complaints yet.

You could hold on to your money til later, either way it will gain interest. Check with the banks to see what rates are best.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

cavacharva is an unknown quantity at this point

We've looked a bit into HSBC international accounts. Does anyone know anything about them and if they are worth using?
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Swooty will become famous soon enough

I opened a Westpac account from the UK and it was so easy, I would recommend it !

It cant be activated till we arrive on 8th Feb, but can keep depositing money as we go along.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:17 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swooty
I opened a Westpac account from the UK and it was so easy, I would recommend it !

It cant be activated till we arrive on 8th Feb, but can keep depositing money as we go along.
Is it attached to any UK bank? I know some of them are.

If you dont mind me asking, how did you go about it? It is nice that you can pay money in though.

I havent a clue which bank to go with.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

2-hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

If you dont mind me asking, how did you go about it? It is nice that you can pay money in though.

Hi
You could leave your funds in account over here.The best account for this is the Nationwide flex account they dont charge you when you draw it out of the whole in the wall machines in OZ. Then when the exchange rate is good change it then.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

I did it online from the Westpac website, and they send you all the documents from the Westpac London Office. It was so easy, its not linked to a UK Bank I think, but they do charge you $10 for a deposit

I am also using my Nationwide Flexaccount in the UK and this is easy as well, as it can all be sorted online wherever you are.

My biggest problem is finding a rental for 8th of Feb.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:39 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

We opened an ANZ account when we were in Perth last year. We have since been in touch with HiFix who will transfer our money when we choose to ( waiting for the best exchange) Minimum you can exchange is £10,000 though.

Sam it takes minutes to open an account, so you can do it over there as some banks over here charge.

Just take with you you passport, visa and an address

Good luck love....not long hey !!!!
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

2-hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

I did it online from the Westpac website, and they send you all the documents from the Westpac London Office. It was so easy, its not linked to a UK Bank I think, but they do charge you $10 for a deposit

I am also using my Nationwide Flexaccount in the UK and this is easy as well, as it can all be sorted online wherever you are.

My biggest problem is finding a rental for 8th of Feb.
Hi swooty
We hope to arrive on the 8th Feb heading for Bunbury but we thought we would try to get in holiday let first, then check out the rentals when we get there.
Plan on flying out of Heathrow on the 7th ...subject to the house sale going through next week............fingers crossed.when do you fly out?
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:52 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Issie
We opened an ANZ account when we were in Perth last year. We have since been in touch with HiFix who will transfer our money when we choose to ( waiting for the best exchange) Minimum you can exchange is £10,000 though.

Sam it takes minutes to open an account, so you can do it over there as some banks over here charge.

Just take with you you passport, visa and an address

Good luck love....not long hey !!!!
I know, Im getting nervous as hell. I told my boss today

What bank is the best, how to pack our stuff, what to do with our bloody shoes? It's all going round in my head like a washing machine.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 2-hunter
Hi swooty
We hope to arrive on the 8th Feb heading for Bunbury but we thought we would try to get in holiday let first, then check out the rentals when we get there.
Plan on flying out of Heathrow on the 7th ...subject to the house sale going through next week............fingers crossed.when do you fly out?
We fly from Heathrow on the 4th, then have a couple of nights in Singapore to break it up a bit, then land in Brizzy on Friday 8th.

I am trying to secure a rental in Narangba at the moment but its prooving tricky, but im sure it will be ok.

We have left our house on the market as we cant sell it at the moment, then when it sells we will send the money over, if the exchange rate comes good ! ! !

Whats your situation ? PM if you want !
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

I know, Im getting nervous as hell. I told my boss today

What bank is the best, how to pack our stuff, what to do with our bloody shoes? It's all going round in my head like a washing machine.
I sure know how you feel

Head is spinning
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 3:04 pm

I sure know how you feel

Head is spinning
Suddenly I dont feel prepared at all even though I thought I was.