Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Time for goods to clear customs in Australia

Time for goods to clear customs in Australia

Old Aug 26th 2014, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Tom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really nice
Default Time for goods to clear customs in Australia

Not sure if we are being "messed about".

Our container arrived in Freemantle August 1st and the Agents of our shippers emailed us to say that we would have our stuff in 12 - 16 working days.

12 days ago they sent an automated email to say that t had cleared customs but now had to go for quarantine inspection.

On the 16th day of this process, I emailed them for an update and got a phone call to tell me that our stuff would be delivered this Friday (29th) and they had sent a confirmation email.

I read the email and find that our stuff will be "presented" for quarantine inspection this week!

My feeling is that they have dragged their feet.

Is it really the case that everything is inspected twice or am I getting the run around?
Old Aug 26th 2014, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time for goods to clear customs in Australia

Usually takes a couple of weeks. Quarantine inspections are unusual, but do happen. You sound very unlucky, but if it is official then it is not your movers fault I don't think.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Depends. Luck of the draw really. If I recall correctly my container was got shifted through various hands for a few weeks. They didn't like the grass stains on my golf clubs.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

Tom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really nice

Thanks guys, possibly we are unlucky but four weeks have passed and then we are told that our stuff will be presented to quarantine and delivered to us, all in just five days after I asked what was going on. (seems too much of a coincidence)

We have to ring Thursday to confirm what time that they will arrive at our house on Friday and still (touch wood) no call from quarantine that anything is amiss, so perhaps no problems.

Cant see that there would be, I cleaned everything as well as it was humanly possible (pressure jetting everything remotely connected with the outdoors and even dismantled all of my power tools (25 of them including a lathe and bench drill) to clean every nut, bolt and ball bearing of oil and sawdust etc)

Everything stinks of Jeyes fluid (made up a spray bottle and sprayed everything every day for weeks along with gallons of WD40 - if I didn't spray it, I left it in a bucket of solution for days) and I paid extra for the shipper to use some super duper kill anything spray (not that I saw them do it but it's on the customs documentation so that's all that matters)

However, there is a brand new barbeque, still in it's box, which we bought from Asda 4 yrs ago just after we put the house on the market, having been granted our visas. If customs have cleared it, then it passes the test that it was bought more than 12 months ago (though not strictly the "used" bit apart from taking it out of the box). Just hope that they don't insist on steam cleaning it as some forum members have said!)

Hopefully, the worst that could have happened is that the agents "forgot" about us and are using the quarantine as an excuse to give them breathing space (they said 13 days ago that they were presenting it then)

Or, I might be told tomorrow that it is delayed until quarantine do get at it :-(
Old Aug 27th 2014, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I guess if you have been pulled in for a quarantine inspection, there will be evidence of that if you want it. I think they do some at random. Removalists don't typically want to hang onto containers any longer than they need to, they like to get the container and the space back, so at this point I would still be inclined to take them at face value.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that mate.

Not sure if the container is even still in Oz as I understand that it is emptied out asap to reduce rentals.

Certainly, no-one I know has actually had a container arrive outside of their house in Oz, usually it arrives in a big van.

Having said that, my sister in law got her container delivered to her door when she moved back from Indonesia to the UK.

I remember it well as the driver told me that I had three hours to empty it (on my own!) :-)
Old Aug 27th 2014, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tom Pratt
Thanks for that mate.

Not sure if the container is even still in Oz as I understand that it is emptied out asap to reduce rentals.

Certainly, no-one I know has actually had a container arrive outside of their house in Oz, usually it arrives in a big van.

Having said that, my sister in law got her container delivered to her door when she moved back from Indonesia to the UK.

I remember it well as the driver told me that I had three hours to empty it (on my own!) :-)
Certainly on the three occasions I have made international moves, including my arrival in Australia, my belongings have been delivered in the same container they were packed into in the first place.. Perhaps you have just seen people that have made local moves with vans...
Old Aug 27th 2014, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

We must have been unlucky then mate, both my daughters had their stuff delivered in big vans after seeing it packed into containers in the UK.

Both of them had been physically checked by customs (opened and resealed boxes etc.)

Our shippers agent has definitely advised that it's coming in a big van with a tail lift, so guess it's the same.

I suppose the point is that it's not guaranteed that you will get a sealed container if customs etc. decide to take a look.

If they do take a look and the container is emptied, then the agents first priority is to get the container back to the shipping company to save costs?
Old Aug 27th 2014, 8:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

We must have been unlucky then mate, both my daughters had their stuff delivered in big vans after seeing it packed into containers in the UK.

Both of them had been physically checked by customs (opened and resealed boxes etc.)

Our shippers agent has definitely advised that it's coming in a big van with a tail lift, so guess it's the same.

I suppose the point is that it's not guaranteed that you will get a sealed container if customs etc. decide to take a look.

If they do take a look and the container is emptied, then the agents first priority is to get the container back to the shipping company to save costs?
Depends how much work Customs have on for one thing.
My stuff took about 9 weeks, turned up reloaded in the original container, and that seems to be the norm rather than the exception.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for that.

So pretty much not that exceptional for our shipment I suppose?

Hopefully, by tomorrow, we'll know if it's going to arrive Friday, I'll let you know.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 12:09 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

It really is the luck of the draw to be honest. We have always found that it is best not to declare things that you think might catch their eye, just dont list it on the contents. When they want to look at shoes but pay no attention to the 1000's of pairs walking through the airports every day you realise it just comes down to jobsworths.

*Not that I would recommend anyone doing this blah blah blah etc.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Goods arrived yesterday in a different container.

As I suspected, the original container was "de-hired" 4 days after it arrived in Oz.

Half way through unpacking the boxes and a little disappointed at some of the damage (broken glasses/vases including fragile items placed in boxes alongside heavy items with no packing (though maybe this was quarantine/customs)

Not, however worth claiming on insurance due to excess and "claims handling fee"

Will, of course, make a point of informing the shippers if only for "feedback"
Old Aug 30th 2014, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As I suspected, the original container was "de-hired" 4 days after it arrived in Oz.

Half way through unpacking the boxes and a little disappointed at some of the damage (broken glasses/vases including fragile items placed in boxes alongside heavy items with no packing (though maybe this was quarantine/customs)

Not, however worth claiming on insurance due to excess and "claims handling fee"

Gosh you have been unlucky. Although, having done three moves now, I sort of expect that something, somewhere along the way will be damaged. Still it is here now, another milestone day. Good luck with the settling in.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I don't recall an excess on my insurance. We made claims for about 600 quid of stuff, and all paid. Couple of breakages and mould.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 1:16 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

What a shame that some of your things were damaged through their carelessness, Tom It doesn't matter about the monetary value, they were things that meant enough to you and your wife to bring them with you. Good on you for letting the shippers know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.