Wikiposts

tick paralysis

Old Oct 4th 2005, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Jacs will become famous soon enoughJacs will become famous soon enough
Default tick paralysis

Hi

just some info for those that are bringing their dogs over

my dog nearly died last week after finding a paralysis tick on him he had only been back with us in Brisbane for 7 weeks

the vet that looked after him advises the use of tick collars and to frontline 2 weekly in tick season im a bit dubious of this because of all the chemicals but after seeing what the tick can do to a dog hes having it done

this tick kills more dogs than heartworm and my vet is having about 3-4 dogs a week at the moment

we were unlucky

hope this helps

Jackie
Old Oct 4th 2005, 1:36 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tick paralysis

Originally Posted by Jacs
Hi

my dog nearly died last week after finding a paralysis tick on him he had only been back with us in Brisbane for 7 weeks

the vet that looked after him advises the use of tick collars and to frontline 2 weekly in tick season im a bit dubious of this because of all the chemicals but after seeing what the tick can do to a dog hes having it done

this tick kills more dogs than heartworm and my vet is having about 3-4 dogs a week at the moment

we were unlucky

hope this helps

Jackie

Good reminder - the tick season here in North Shore Sydney NSW seems to have started earlier because of the warmth at the moment. Frontline is one option - our vet is recommending Advantix and a nightly check of the dogs.

Ticks checks on children also is a good idea if they tend to be in the bush or you have them in your area. Not that the kids get the paralysis but can make them feel groggy. I have had many a tick picking evening on my two - yuck.

PS - have also had fun picking ticks off the kids when camping in the New Forest.

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/public-health/pdf/tick.pdf

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/pubs/fa...f/ticks_fs.pdf

honestly not a big drama just be aware.

Cheers
Old Oct 4th 2005, 11:15 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jacs
Hi

we were unlucky

hope this helps

Jackie
Hows Dino feeling now Jackie?
I'm not sure about those chemicals every 2 weeks but i'd def use a tick collar in the bad months and be checking poppy after every walk now.

Lynn
Old Oct 5th 2005, 12:03 am
AC/DC!

yamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really nice

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Hows Dino feeling now Jackie?
I'm not sure about those chemicals every 2 weeks but i'd def use a tick collar in the bad months and be checking poppy after every walk now.

Lynn

Does these affect cats too? Ive got a cute wee black pussy and would hate anything like that to happen to him?
Is there Anything else we should be aware of that might pose a danger to him?
Old Oct 5th 2005, 12:07 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
Good reminder - the tick season here in North Shore Sydney NSW seems to have started earlier because of the warmth at the moment. Frontline is one option - our vet is recommending Advantix and a nightly check of the dogs.

Ticks checks on children also is a good idea if they tend to be in the bush or you have them in your area. Not that the kids get the paralysis but can make them feel groggy. I have had many a tick picking evening on my two - yuck.

PS - have also had fun picking ticks off the kids when camping in the New Forest.

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/public-health/pdf/tick.pdf

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/pubs/fa...f/ticks_fs.pdf

honestly not a big drama just be aware.

Cheers
Ugh, yes! Dave's a keen runner and found one that had settled down behind his ear that he had picked up during his morning run whilst over in Sydney.

Nicky