Thunder storms

Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:00 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thunder storms

Originally Posted by Bumpkin
Pollyana thank you for telling me like it is - thats exactly what I need to know, and like you say other States indicate the same. I will now have a good look through the other threads on the Barbie.

Many thanks again
Bumpkin
I guess you wont be coming then?
Old Jan 8th 2009, 1:52 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Summer storms are one of the HIGHLIGHTS of life in Brisbane!

A fairly ordinary summers day sees us waking up to 30C temperatures at 7am and mercury climbing to mid 30's by 9am. Hummidity increases throughout the day and mid afternoon we can see clouds bubbling up.....

Afternoons in the coolness of the office air-con are often spent with at least one person leaving the radar website (http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR663.loop.shtml) up to check for storm progress and see if those with special needs (on bikes, long walks to station, cars parked outside etc etc) need to run home quickly or move vehicles under cover.

When a storm hits (any time from 3pm-onwards) it generally starts with "Big 'ole fat rain" that SPLATS loudly on the pavement and within a minute its raining HARD.... Sometimes the rain turns to hail, sometimes getting large (although I've never seen anything larger than golf-ball in my 10 yrs here). Occassionaly these downpours are accompanied by a minute or 2 of squally wind - but that usualy doesnt last very long at all. Most storms are long gone and have left a lovely cooler, fresher atmosphere behind them just 30 minutes after they arrived.

After a storm we all feel much better - the imediate drop in temperature and hummidity is tremendous relief.

This storm was EXCEPTIONAL - and even so didnt last too long.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=skrnDGl1LxQ

It may be hard to answer but what is your fear of storms based on? What aspect of a storm is it that scares you? Storms here may be potentialy voilent, but they are usually over MUCH quicker than any storm in the UK.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 1:57 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Summer storms are one of the HIGHLIGHTS of life in Brisbane!

A fairly ordinary summers day sees us waking up to 30C temperatures at 7am and mercury climbing to mid 30's by 9am. Hummidity increases throughout the day and mid afternoon we can see clouds bubbling up.....

Afternoons in the coolness of the office air-con are often spent with at least one person leaving the radar website (http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR663.loop.shtml) up to check for storm progress and see if those with special needs (on bikes, long walks to station, cars parked outside etc etc) need to run home quickly or move vehicles under cover.

When a storm hits (any time from 3pm-onwards) it generally starts with "Big 'ole fat rain" that SPLATS loudly on the pavement and within a minute its raining HARD.... Sometimes the rain turns to hail, sometimes getting large (although I've never seen anything larger than golf-ball in my 10 yrs here). Occassionaly these downpours are accompanied by a minute or 2 of squally wind - but that usualy doesnt last very long at all. Most storms are long gone and have left a lovely cooler, fresher atmosphere behind them just 30 minutes after they arrived.

After a storm we all feel much better - the imediate drop in temperature and hummidity is tremendous relief.

This storm was EXCEPTIONAL - and even so didnt last too long.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=skrnDGl1LxQ

It may be hard to answer but what is your fear of storms based on? What aspect of a storm is it that scares you? Storms here may be potentialy voilent, but they are usually over MUCH quicker than any storm in the UK.
To be honest, beauty or no beauty the storm that damaged our car last November (with large hail) scared the beejesus out of me and I'm known for welcoming storms (within my family) as I love to watch them from near or afar.

After that one, I've since found myself feeling grateful for each passing day when there are no storms.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

I'm actually disappointed at how FEW storms we get here south of Perth. I think I've only seen about 4 since we moved here nearly 3 years ago. I was hoping to witness some humdingers but alas it's not to be.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:09 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone

I am a newbie to this forum - husband and I have recently been thinking about moving to Australia, having not even decided on which area would be best for us, my first question has to be - Do you get really bad thunder storms?? Summer and winter storms??? and if so which areas are deemed to have a higher frequency of these??

Sorry I know this probably sounds really silly but I am absolutely terrified of storms and I have been in quite a few very bad ones in Europe. Where we are in the UK we seem to be lucky and not had a bad storm for years.

Thanks in advance - and I know it does sound a bit weird but I would like to know.

Bumpkin x

QLD and NT are basically out of bounds to you. NSW can get some huge storms as well but not with the same frequency as QLD.
http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/nsw/sevwx/
You really need to make this site your friend and keep checking the radars. You will see that storms are just a part of life here... http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/national/
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:02 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Eating too many beans maybe?

Look out for Cyclone Heinz....?!!
Variety is the spice of life.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Bumpkin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
To be honest, beauty or no beauty the storm that damaged our car last November (with large hail) scared the beejesus out of me and I'm known for welcoming storms (within my family) as I love to watch them from near or afar.

After that one, I've since found myself feeling grateful for each passing day when there are no storms.
Thats just how I feel - after being in quite a few extremely scary storms while in Europe this has left me with such a fear - I was ok before this and they did not bother me. One of them lasted over 4 hours with the loudest thunder and the loudest bangs I have every heard from lightening - being woken up like this was very scary. Also been in one where the hail was so large it dented our car, we had to pull off the road, you couldn't see anything except the lightening then the ground shook with the thunder - I can tell you it has left me terrified -this is the reason for me asking.

I want to be 100% about moving to Oz - I know its difficult for a time (home sick etc) I just dont want the storms to be another factor into me wantig to leave.

Thanks again to all for your help
Bumpkin
Old Jan 8th 2009, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Bumpkin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats just how I feel - after being in quite a few extremely scary storms while in Europe this has left me with such a fear - I was ok before this and they did not bother me. One of them lasted over 4 hours with the loudest thunder and the loudest bangs I have every heard from lightening - being woken up like this was very scary. Also been in one where the hail was so large it dented our car, we had to pull off the road, you couldn't see anything except the lightening then the ground shook with the thunder - I can tell you it has left me terrified -this is the reason for me asking.

I want to be 100% about moving to Oz - I know its difficult for a time (home sick etc) I just dont want the storms to be another factor into me wantig to leave.

Thanks again to all for your help
Bumpkin
Looks like I should be looking more at Western Australia - seems to be a lot less.

Had a look at the You Tube of the storm last November OMG that looked so scary - I would have been under the bed...lol

Bumpkin x
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

Why not consider Melbourne which has a more mediterranean/temperate climate (same latitude south as Athens is north). As I understand it, Perth can have lots of rain and pretty big storms. Not aware of the same extremes in Melbourne (Adelaide probably the same). Only been here 4 months, but have been checking forums for a year before and don't recall seeing much (a few mentions) in the way of really big stuff. You don't get the wall to wall sunshine here, but we don't mind the variety of the weather.

We are getting 37 degrees next Tuesday, looking forward to it to feel the heat, but unlike Perth (12 days over 30), we only have one day of it which suits me!

Weather a bit disappointing here for summer so far, but seems to be warming up now. Everyone tells us we will be moaning when we get the 40 degree heat at some point. If you told me before we came that my son would have 2 cricket matches cancelled in Oz (Melbourne in severe drought) because of the rain I would have laughed.

Last edited by carlap; Jan 8th 2009 at 10:00 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

I've heard about the bad weather in Cairns at the moment - unfortunately i have flight tickets booked for 10 Feb so no backing out now.

Here is a photo gallery of storm pics and flooding in the Cairns area.

http://tools.cairns.com.au/photo_gal...category_id=35

frightening.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Looking forward to Oz
I've heard about the bad weather in Cairns at the moment - unfortunately i have flight tickets booked for 10 Feb so no backing out now.

Here is a photo gallery of storm pics and flooding in the Cairns area.

http://tools.cairns.com.au/photo_gal...category_id=35

frightening.
Both Cairns and Townsville copped it pretty bad, even for an area that is used to monsoon rain. Hope all our BE people up there came through unscathed?