Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Three Months In and Disappointed....

Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

sue and mick is a jewel in the roughsue and mick is a jewel in the roughsue and mick is a jewel in the roughsue and mick is a jewel in the roughsue and mick is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Three Months In and Disappointed....

Originally Posted by arnie2oz
Will do Cas, thanks.

Glad to see that you're 'living life to the full'

I thought two of us trained up would be safer in a boat but only time will tell!
Hi Graham

great to hear from you glad everythings going well

we're still trawling through mounds of boring paperwork for our tra

keep in touch

luv sue and mick
Old Mar 29th 2005, 5:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three Months In and Disappointed....

Hi Graham. Very pleased you haven't seen any nasties but sincerely hope that doesn't mean more will be traumatising us when we get there.

Just as a by the by, but really must get round to trying to set up a meet. Don't suppose you are coming back any time soon Busy making the house look pretty for the hundreds of eager buyers
Old Mar 29th 2005, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
You don't want a tangle with a box jellyfish, not only very painful but also can kill you unless you get medical aid pretty damn smartly!

Many aussies swim in public pools run by their local council/shire. This is my choice if I want to swim. Bugger the beach, it's over rated, can be over crowded and has nasties that every now and then like to affirm who's boss :scared:
Umm, not on the Coast, they don't! And those living inland try to get to the coast.

You weren't in Port Moresby in the early 1970s were you? I knew a couple of Kiwi girls who thought exactly the same about the beach then.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all
Question Re: Three Months In and Disappointed....

not to have seen a Huntsman Spider or any snakes, sharks or box jellyfish in the wild!

Still, I guess we've got plenty of time for that and meanwhile, we have both got our Queensland Driving licences, and I (along with another expat) have got a Queensland Marine Driver Licence for recreational craft - no limit to size, but accidents must be reported within 48 hours.

Things are going really well (Nikki has a job), the only hiccup has been the UK house sale - but nothing can ever be really perfect can it?

Good luck to everyone who's yet to get here and those who - like us- are still learning different things every day.

Is there a reason why you didn't sell your house before you went to oz?
Old Mar 29th 2005, 6:43 am
Merlot

not to have seen a Huntsman Spider or any snakes, sharks or box jellyfish in the wild!

Still, I guess we've got plenty of time for that and meanwhile, we have both got our Queensland Driving licences, and I (along with another expat) have got a Queensland Marine Driver Licence for recreational craft - no limit to size, but accidents must be reported within 48 hours.

Things are going really well (Nikki has a job), the only hiccup has been the UK house sale - but nothing can ever be really perfect can it?

Good luck to everyone who's yet to get here and those who - like us- are still learning different things every day.
Lovely to hear a true real life story, best of luck with everything.

Merlot

Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
Is there a reason why you didn't sell your house before you went to oz?
Yes, nobody bought it but don't lets go there.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:19 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Maybe one day when I get some good protective gear.. meanwhile I'm pretty content here in Cleveland thanks. Just thought I'd post to let others know this country/island/continent isn't totally covered with nasties (well there are some people - but they (in the minority) seem to be everywhere across the globe)
I've heard some people have a worse bite than the creatures/animals in Aus.....but the anti venom is lasagne, cream cake & plenty of alcohol

Old Mar 29th 2005, 12:06 pm
ABCDiamond

You had me worried for a second

Old Mar 30th 2005, 12:03 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Claire - we're in (getting crowded) Cleveland; good luck with your TRA
-------------------
Hi Sue & Mick - will keep in touch - let us know when your TRA is OK'd

------------------
Hi Penny,
Tempting though a trip to Hertford sounds, we shan't be in the UK for a visit until June/July 2006 for a wedding and to do the family rounds.
Glad you're keeping on top of the housework - hope those sightseers (sorry, prospective purchasers appreciate it!)
------------------
Thanks Merlot & Phoenix - plenty of cake still left - alcohol going fast!
-----------------
ABC - sorry! Feels good to be here - shame we're in rented at the moment.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 12:19 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Cheers - I'll give it a miss
Ugly bastards too !

Cas
LOL Smart Choice
Old Mar 30th 2005, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

leejo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by youngy73
we had 3 people stung by box jeelyfish this weekend. they were locals swimming outside the enclosures. had a few saltwater crocs on the beach before xmas. regularly see heaps of spiders especially redbacks which they reckon are in every back yard in oz. there was a 4 metre hammerhead caught in the net off palm cove before xmas. (only 50 metres off shore). i caught a 2 metre shovelnose shark off palm cove jetty just after xmas and joanne of lee and jo who are regular users of this site had a snake over her foot while we were walking. the girls reckon it was a taipan but more likely a tree snake. then theres a little green tree frog which has taken up temporary residence in my umbrella. get yourself to cairns.

It was NOT just a tree snake Youngy!! It was brown, mean and had an evil look in its eye!!! Don't go downgrading my brush with a snake... I like telling that story!! Jo xx
Old Mar 30th 2005, 7:43 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Graham you had me there for a mo I thought you were going to say you were coming back!!!!

I for one wouldn't be in the slightest bit disappointed not to see any spiders..that'd be fine by me
Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:56 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by kiwichild
You don't want a tangle with a box jellyfish, not only very painful but also can kill you unless you get medical aid pretty damn smartly!

Many aussies swim in public pools run by their local council/shire. This is my choice if I want to swim. Bugger the beach, it's over rated, can be over crowded and has nasties that every now and then like to affirm who's boss :scared:
Dangerous jellyfish are only in the far north of OZ . Millions of Australians swim in the ocean every year only 3-5 are killed by sharks or jellyfish compared to 600 drowning. l live in victoria and have been going swimming just about every summer day at the beach for the last 30 years and the only ceature that has ever bitten me at the beach was someones crazy dog.
It is perfectly safe to go swimming in beaches at OZ except in the far North of the country such as tropical Queensland and Darwin where there are Jellyfish. You are more likely to be struck by lightning while swimming at the beach then killed by a shark. Aussies only swim at public swimming pools if they live too far from the beach, most that live near the beach go swimming at the beach.

Last edited by wombat42; Mar 30th 2005 at 9:07 pm.

Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:02 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by artep
I thought you were going to say you were coming back!!!!
As if!!

Have you booked flights yet Petra? Looking forward to greeting you on this side of the Earth, and recounting stories about selling/not selling houses
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Three months and no huntsmen ?? I think we need to move to your area. Last week I squashed one on the windscreen of my car and last night we had two basking in the glow of the outdoor light - obviously waiting to catch insects - they got squashed too.

I know I shouldn't kill them because they're not poisonous and kill insects, but they just so revolting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.