Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Three Months In and Disappointed....

Wikiposts

Three Months In and Disappointed....

Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:15 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Three Months In and Disappointed....

not to have seen a Huntsman Spider or any snakes, sharks or box jellyfish in the wild!

Still, I guess we've got plenty of time for that and meanwhile, we have both got our Queensland Driving licences, and I (along with another expat) have got a Queensland Marine Driver Licence for recreational craft - no limit to size, but accidents must be reported within 48 hours.

Things are going really well (Nikki has a job), the only hiccup has been the UK house sale - but nothing can ever be really perfect can it?

Good luck to everyone who's yet to get here and those who - like us- are still learning different things every day.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three Months In and Disappointed....

Originally Posted by arnie2oz
not to have seen a Huntsman Spider or any snakes, sharks or box jellyfish in the wild!

Still, I guess we've got plenty of time for that and meanwhile, we have both got our Queensland Driving licences, and I (along with another expat) have got a Queensland Marine Driver Licence for recreational craft - no limit to size, but accidents must be reported within 48 hours.

Things are going really well (Nikki has a job), the only hiccup has been the UK house sale - but nothing can ever be really perfect can it?

Good luck to everyone who's yet to get here and those who - like us- are still learning different things every day.

I`d be pleased that there has been no spiders, snakes, sharks & jellyfish!!!

Nice to hear you getting on ok, keep us posted

Sue
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

FFS, please don't tell me that they have given Jez a boat licence

Glad things are going well for you both.

I've had one Huntsman in my house - then the bugger went, and we have had a couple of cockroaches - FAR worse !!

Cas
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:25 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

You don't want a tangle with a box jellyfish, not only very painful but also can kill you unless you get medical aid pretty damn smartly!

Many aussies swim in public pools run by their local council/shire. This is my choice if I want to swim. Bugger the beach, it's over rated, can be over crowded and has nasties that every now and then like to affirm who's boss :scared:
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:38 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
FFS, please don't tell me that they have given Jez a boat licence

Cas

Yep! You guessed it!! :scared:
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

Yep! You guessed it!! :scared:
Blimey - bugger the jellyfish - you have enough danger in the high seas!

Send my love to Nikki, Jez and Laura

Cas
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:55 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey - bugger the jellyfish - you have enough danger in the high seas!

Cas
we had 3 people stung by box jeelyfish this weekend. they were locals swimming outside the enclosures. had a few saltwater crocs on the beach before xmas. regularly see heaps of spiders especially redbacks which they reckon are in every back yard in oz. there was a 4 metre hammerhead caught in the net off palm cove before xmas. (only 50 metres off shore). i caught a 2 metre shovelnose shark off palm cove jetty just after xmas and joanne of lee and jo who are regular users of this site had a snake over her foot while we were walking. the girls reckon it was a taipan but more likely a tree snake. then theres a little green tree frog which has taken up temporary residence in my umbrella. get yourself to cairns.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 12:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by youngy73
we had 3 people stung by box jeelyfish this weekend. they were locals swimming outside the enclosures. had a few saltwater crocs on the beach before xmas. regularly see heaps of spiders especially redbacks which they reckon are in every back yard in oz. there was a 4 metre hammerhead caught in the net off palm cove before xmas. (only 50 metres off shore). i caught a 2 metre shovelnose shark off palm cove jetty just after xmas and joanne of lee and jo who are regular users of this site had a snake over her foot while we were walking. the girls reckon it was a taipan but more likely a tree snake. then theres a little green tree frog which has taken up temporary residence in my umbrella. get yourself to cairns.
Plan to sometime.

Even here in temperate Melbourne there are spiders, snakes and jellyfish to be careful of.

Bit short of the saltwater crocs though
Old Mar 29th 2005, 12:03 am
Keeping Busy

Originally Posted by youngy73
Maybe one day when I get some good protective gear.. meanwhile I'm pretty content here in Cleveland thanks. Just thought I'd post to let others know this country/island/continent isn't totally covered with nasties (well there are some people - but they (in the minority) seem to be everywhere across the globe)
Old Mar 29th 2005, 12:04 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Plan to sometime.

Even here in temperate Melbourne there are spiders, snakes and jellyfish to be careful of.

Bit short of the saltwater crocs though
You want crocs go to Darwin but beware: the bastards will chase you ot of the water down the road, so have your runners ready :scared:
Old Mar 29th 2005, 12:08 am
Keeping Busy

Cas
Will do Cas, thanks.

Glad to see that you're 'living life to the full'

I thought two of us trained up would be safer in a boat but only time will tell!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 12:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kiwichild
You want crocs go to Darwin but beware: the bastards will chase you ot of the water down the road, so have your runners ready :scared:
Cheers - I'll give it a miss
Ugly bastards too !

Cas
Old Mar 29th 2005, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

Teri is a jewel in the roughTeri is a jewel in the roughTeri is a jewel in the roughTeri is a jewel in the rough

Don't complain too soon... news from Cape Town, South Africa this weekend

BRITISH SURFER ATTACKED BY SHARK

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_i...2010842411S162
Old Mar 29th 2005, 12:14 am
Account Closed

Will do Cas, thanks.

Glad to see that you're 'living life to the full'

I thought two of us trained up would be safer in a boat but only time will tell!
Mmmm...........
Just have to remember not to take a ride in any strange boats when we come to Brissie
Old Mar 29th 2005, 1:10 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't do that! From the title of this thread I thought you hated it or something! LOL

Where in QLD are you guys?
Hopefully we will be out on the GC early next year !

Claire
x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.