Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Threats from Terrorists.... Is Australia safer ?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Is Australia a safer option from terrorists attack than the UK
Yes
55.10%
No
27.55%
Dont know/the same
17.35%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Threats from Terrorists.... Is Australia safer ?

Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:27 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Threats from Terrorists.... Is Australia safer ?

Originally Posted by brisnick
Why would a terrorist bother attacking Australia. They would get much bigger impacts attacking US/UK/EU.
Your right, a security asalyst said terrorists would'nt want to waste their money, manpower and resources on a terrorist attack on OZ, but would rather put ttheir resources into an attack on The USA or UK because it would have much more of an international impact.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:33 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/...803076679.html
Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

BPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant future

Not emigrated to Oz yet but planned towards the end of the year.

I feel Australia is a little bit safer than UK/US purely down to how much headlines an attack in UK/US would cause, also the muslim population see US/UK as enemies (maybe even Australia to an increasing level). The Australian immigration policy I feel is a lot stricter than UK but not perfect as potential terrorists could still get through.
I would draw attention to the fact that the 7/7 bombers and also those plotting this attack were British born muslims and fully integrated into the British Society. By this method similar applicants could get into Australia and outside influence could cause them to turn to terrorism. I think maybe immigration departments should adopt similar approaches to that of Israel, whereas Muslims are automatically suspected. I know its racist but as far a national security and potential loss of life it does not matter.

I also feel that being a british born hindu who is totally integrated in bristish life and totally opposed to these kinds of terrorist attacks I may also be suspected because people cant tell the difference between muslims, hindus and shiks

All in all I feel Australia is safer but we should not get complacent as an attack could happen anywhere.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:45 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BPadhiar
...were British born muslims and fully integrated into the British Society.
I think blowing yourself up on a tube/bus puts you firmly in the NOT integrated in to the British society sub-section.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:54 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Without this thread going completely off topic I'm not sure I want any country I live in to adopt any Israeli migration or military procedure

I'm not convinced that Australia is as big a target as the UK and US, don't think the US would even notice if anything happened down here. I am also not going to lose any sleep over something that might happen but that is totally out of my control. Not burying my head, just being realistic.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

BPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant future

What I mean by fully integrated bristish born muslims it that they work and play exactly like everyone else but in there private life they are plotting terrorist activities. This makes then very difficult/imposible to find.

In terms of the Isreal migration policy it may be the case that this is the only way to stop terrorists.

Sorry to go off the topic
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Without this thread going completely off topic I'm not sure I want any country I live in to adopt any Israeli migration or military procedure

I'm not convinced that Australia is as big a target as the UK and US, don't think the US would even notice if anything happened down here. I am also not going to lose any sleep over something that might happen but that is totally out of my control. Not burying my head, just being realistic.

The US populace probably didnt take too much notice of the Madrid bombings either. Although we did here, and the UK certainly did. Also it changed the Spanish foreign policy..... which gave AQ even more fuel for their methods.

One thing that doesn't enter most peoples heads until they arrive here, is we are sitting right next door to Indonesia, which as mentioned before is the largest Muslim country on the planet. It doesn't always get along with Australia either. Could be well dodgy if things deteriorated badly....however I suspect Australia could cope in the same way as the above mentioned Israel.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:18 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

One thing that doesn't enter most peoples heads until they arrive here, is we are sitting right next door to Indonesia, which as mentioned before is the largest Muslim country on the planet. It doesn't always get along with Australia either. Could be well dodgy if things deteriorated badly....however I suspect Australia could cope in the same way as the above mentioned Israel.
Oddly enough, we used to train in the Army against a fictitious enemy called Mausuria. Strangely on the "maps" and in the briefings we were given at the time, this country located was slap-bang in the middle of the Indonesian archipelago.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Your right, a security asalyst said terrorists would'nt want to waste their money, manpower and resources on a terrorist attack on OZ, but would rather put ttheir resources into an attack on The USA or UK because it would have much more of an international impact.
And Madrid? Bali?
Old Aug 10th 2006, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
And Madrid? Bali?
Kenya
Old Aug 10th 2006, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Allow me to put a twist on Ozzie's poll:

Threat of panic being caused by 'Intelligene' agency, media.....is Australia safer?

In Oz how may panics have there been? Coburg...any others?

Well in the UK, we've had Ricin scare, Man UTD bombing scare, Forest Gate shooting....there r others too.

The UK is being led into a state of panic not only be terrorist activity but also by lack of intelligence.

Lets hope Oz doesn't/hasn't gone down the same road.

TC
Old Aug 10th 2006, 9:58 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
Allow me to put a twist on Ozzie's poll:

Threat of panic being caused by 'Intelligene' agency, media.....is Australia safer?

In Oz how may panics have there been? Coburg...any others?

Well in the UK, we've had Ricin scare, Man UTD bombing scare, Forest Gate shooting....there r others too.

The UK is being led into a state of panic not only be terrorist activity but also by lack of intelligence.

Lets hope Oz doesn't/hasn't gone down the same road.

TC
Where Bush/Blair (US/UK)lead, Howard (Australia) will follow.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
I hold my hand up to being a 'believer'...but a few things recently have changed my mind.

When the Forest Gate shooting happened..and no charges were pressed against the muslim fella, everyone admitted a mistake had happened.

Then a few weeks later, the same bloke was arrested for possessing indecent pics/child stuff.

This was a blatant attempt to discredit him and justify the shooting of him.

How many paedophiles in UK have you read about are non-white? The answer is none. So why should anyone believe that this bangladeshi guy is involved in child stuff ? This tied in with the fact that he was shot by police a few weeks earlier it so obviously dodgy .

(ps..I'm not muslim...just trying to understand what is going on here)
Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Has Australia still got troops in Iraq or have they been pulled out now?
Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Has Australia still got troops in Iraq or have they been pulled out now?

Australia still has troops in Iraq. Thats the reason Bin Laden named Australia as one of its next targets.

See since UK time joined in the poll has swung in favor of australia being safer, that was pretty predictable.

But as Ozzieeagle said how many in the UK understand australias relations with Indonesia, or the racial breakdown in cities like Sydney and Melbourne.

Last edited by jad n rich; Aug 10th 2006 at 10:47 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.