Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A Thread about guilt !

A Thread about guilt !

Old Jun 9th 2006, 12:24 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Thread about guilt !

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc
just spoken to mum on the webcam there, she was giving me an update on how my brother is (understandably) heartbroken and then she came out with the comment.... well thats me and your dad back to having no grandchildren !!!! i got really angry at this and told her that regardless of what happens or where in the world we are, our 2 children and my brothers child will ALWAYS be their grandchildren, ive got a bloody thunping headache now, talk about making you mad

im off to have some panadol and a glass of wine
All you need to keep in mind is the fact that your family is only concerned with their individual needs and are taking a 0% interest in your personal needs and your family's needs. Don't feel guilty.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

SCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud of

just spoken to mum on the webcam there, she was giving me an update on how my brother is (understandably) heartbroken and then she came out with the comment.... well thats me and your dad back to having no grandchildren !!!! i got really angry at this and told her that regardless of what happens or where in the world we are, our 2 children and my brothers child will ALWAYS be their grandchildren, ive got a bloody thunping headache now, talk about making you mad

Hi Hun

My thoughts are with you I too have a very selfish mother. (although I love her she drives me to despair).

I can't believe she is basically disowning her grand kids because she isn't getting her own way. Has she heard of the naughty step?

All the best enjoy you wine hun, keep it flowing.

Regards
SCooper
x
Guess I have it all to look forward to!
Old Jun 9th 2006, 12:44 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

We've been in Oz now for a year and a half, and had our ups and downs like everyone else, but now we are getting to a stage where we feel 'settled', we are enjoying our jobs, have made friends and have a social life again, and neither of us have any desire to return to the UK, the kids are happy, have friends and love the school they go to, however, when we moved out here, my parents (in particular my dad) took it very badly, so much so that my dad was prescibed anti depressants, which made me feel like a complete b!tch for 'leaving them', they have got slightly better, but whenever we talk to them on the phone or the webcam, there is always a question or comment made asking us when we will be returning, it gets to the point where you dread talking to them, which is awful. Its not as if im an only child, i have brothers too, but anyway, last night i was talking to my mum on the webcam and she drops the bombshell that one of my brothers will be separating from his wife!! they havnt made it offical, nor does anyone know about it yet (i am not even supposed to know!!) and then my mum tells me it would be easier if we were here, that me and malc could go talk to them both and help sort it out- see this was the thing that used to really pi$$ me off, we would always be expected to help sort out any 'mess' or help out in any crisis. Then later that night, i get an email from my brother (the one who is separating) asking me how we are and also, when are we coming back home as things are not the same without us and they all really miss us and im missing out on seeing my niece grow up etc etc, this is just so unfair, we are really trying to make a go of our new life and loving out here, but yet im constantly getting asked when we are coming back, it constantly puts damper on things, i mean the thought of going back does not appeal as we have a far better quality of life here, but if anything happened healthwise to my parents i would feel responsible
i apologise for this thread, as normally i make my posts light hearted, but needed to 'offload' somewhere to people who (hopefully) understand.
You would think after a year and a half they would find it easier to accept that we are here, and i appreciate that having family around is very important when something like this happens, but im made to fell guilty for not being there to help sort things out, or for moral support, it sucks !!!

anyway, got that off my chest

fee

Fiona i have just read this and feel sick I haven't told my family yet, and i am glad coz my mum is in hospital and if i had told her before her hospitilization, me and everyone else would blame the fact that i am emigrating.

Things are motoring on with us now and we will fly in Nov , when am I going to tell them??? I don't know!!!

I do alot of the caring for my mother, and the family will be furious that i am bailing out, like you i have a big guilt complex about everything anyway

I don't understand why they are making you feel sooo bad, coz it sounds like there is quite a few of them and all in good health (although personal circumstances not great, but everyone goes through these). They have alot to be thankful for , try not to let them make you feel too bad
Old Jun 9th 2006, 12:57 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret2
Fiona i have just read this and feel sick I haven't told my family yet, and i am glad coz my mum is in hospital and if i had told her before her hospitilization, me and everyone else would blame the fact that i am emigrating.

Things are motoring on with us now and we will fly in Nov , when am I going to tell them??? I don't know!!!

I do alot of the caring for my mother, and the family will be furious that i am bailing out, like you i have a big guilt complex about everything anyway

I don't understand why they are making you feel sooo bad, coz it sounds like there is quite a few of them and all in good health (although personal circumstances not great, but everyone goes through these). They have alot to be thankful for , try not to let them make you feel too bad
Mags, have sent you a pm
Old Jun 9th 2006, 1:36 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh my, she's good ... Sounds like my mother ... we get back from Australia and she wants us to drive to my grandparents place in Manchester (bearing in mind we've had a 24 hour flight with a 6 week old baby!)
We refused because we had to drive to London before we passed out, and she... she did this crying histrionic thing sobbing that we were taking her only grandchild away from her.
Selfish to the core.

Good for you for kicking ass. Now you 've laid the groundwork for a serious talk.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 1:40 am
Account Closed

Oh Margaret ... I so feel for you.
If they're so furious then it's only because they'll have to make an effort themselves ... It's probably been so convenient with you doing all the hard work.

Selfish people need to get a life.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 3:53 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iPom
Oh Margaret ... I so feel for you.
If they're so furious then it's only because they'll have to make an effort themselves ... It's probably been so convenient with you doing all the hard work.

Selfish people need to get a life.

Ohhhhhhhhhnooooooooo, now I feel guilty coz some of you on here might think that, that's not the case, honest

My mother has never kept good health, so much so, we were fostered out when we were little, i was lucky enough to be looked after by my Gran , then when she died my Aunt (who is fabulous), anyway said aunt, still lives across the road from my mum and both her and her husband (mum's bros), and both now 71 help every day with mum, I like to take my turn so to speak, as they have been caring for our family, one way or another all our lives, as well as their own children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren.

My bros stays even further away from mum than me, i stay about 30 miles away , him (don't know how many miles), but a 2 hour drive anyway, and he gets through as often as poss and does as much as he can.

My sis, aka, ionaskye, comes home from the States every year for 2 weeks and stays with mum to give everyone a break, she is due over on Tuesday

The only selfish person is really my mum (and me), who takes all this for granted and keeps asking for more (and I feel guilty saying that)

Last edited by Margaret2; Jun 9th 2006 at 4:01 am.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Ohhhhhhhhhnooooooooo, now I feel guilty coz some of you on here might think that, that's not the case, honest

My mother has never kept good health, so much so, we were fostered out when we were little, i was lucky enough to be looked after by my Gran , then when she died my Aunt (who is fabulous), anyway said aunt, still lives across the road from my mum and both her and her husband (mum's bros), and both now 71 help every day with mum, I like to take my turn so to speak, as they have been caring for our family, one way or another all our lives, as well as their own children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren.

My bros stays even further away from mum than me, i stay about 30 miles away , him (don't know how many miles), but a 2 hour drive anyway, and he gets through as often as poss and does as much as he can.

My sis, aka, ionaskye, comes home from the States every year for 2 weeks and stays with mum to give everyone a break, she is due over on Tuesday

The only selfish person is really my mum, who takes all this for granted and keeps asking for more (and I feel guilty saying that)

You shouldn't feel guilty Margaret, your Mum is an adult and you are her kid. She should be the one that feels guilty for putting all this pressure on other people. I know she is ill, but that is not your fault just as much as it's not hers.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 12:15 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
You shouldn't feel guilty Margaret, your Mum is an adult and you are her kid. She should be the one that feels guilty for putting all this pressure on other people. I know she is ill, but that is not your fault just as much as it's not hers.

Margaret, i think you are the same as me, in that your family expect you to automatically be there and help out, and if for any reason you cannot be there to help, you are the one in the wrong, im now putting it down to a generation thing, my mum and dad are in the early sixties and if anything out of the norm happens, or something happens to break their routine, god help you!!! whereas if you are younger, i think people are more adaptable to change.
Im still feeling really guilty about everything thats happening back 'home' and i would dearly love to give my brother a big hug and try and help, but im now feeling more angry than guilty about my mum and the comments she comes away with, i cannot believe what she said last night !!!
The thing that pi$$es me off more than anything, is that mums best friends daughter who is a couple of years older than me, lives out in America as her hubby works for an oil company, so every 3 or 4 years they move somewhere, theyve been to places live Dubai, Borneo, holland etc and mums friend Never would say anything about not having her grandkids local, why cant my mum be like that ?? Im not a bad person, ive never done anything bad to anyone yet im made to feel like ive created some major crime
Rant over..again, im off to vacuum !!!!
Old Jun 9th 2006, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

The only selfish person is really my mum (and me), who takes all this for granted and keeps asking for more (and I feel guilty saying that)
Sorry I misinterpretted your post. Everyone sounds like they pull their weight which is fantastic because it keeps resentment low. But like Wendy says you really have nothing to feel guilty about. It's no-one's fault and you must follow your heart.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 1:00 pm
Can't happen quick enough

David and Lynsey will become famous soon enoughDavid and Lynsey will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Vanessa
How selfish of them all. They should realise that you have your own family now that takes precedence over them. If your brother and his wife are having marriage troubles then surely their best bet would be go to somewhere like Relate, who are professionals in their field. Are they really suggesting that by you returning to the UK all their problems will be solved and they will want to live happily ever after. If they can/want to make a go of their marriage then they will do, whether you are around or not.

I am afraid to say that you are going to have to be truthful with your family about how you feel, whether they like it or not. It's called 'tough love' and sometimes that is the only way to go.

With regards to your family (parents in particular) getting ill. Yes they probably will do one day but this will happen whether you are in the UK or Australia - The UK is only a day away and if needs be you will be able to get home relatively quickly.

Think about what is best for you and your husband and children - not your extended family.

Finally - DON'T LET THE BUGGERS GET YOU DOWN!
Hear, Hear!
We are not yet in Oz, but are starting to realise how this situation happens.
We have already galvanised ourselves to the extended family
Your family has moved with you- as ours will, 2 girls 1 and 7, 1 boy 2(hopefully!)
It may be hard but think of all your grandchildren that will be growing up in the laid back atmosphere and thank you for it.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by David and Lynsey
Hear, Hear!
We are not yet in Oz, but are starting to realise how this situation happens.
We have already galvanised ourselves to the extended family
Your family has moved with you- as ours will, 2 girls 1 and 7, 1 boy 2(hopefully!)
It may be hard but think of all your grandchildren that will be growing up in the laid back atmosphere and thank you for it.
Saying that - you have to prepare yourself for the fact that your children (and mine) may choose to live elsewhere in the future - and we will have to face life without our respective grandchildren :scared:

from....another Linsey!
Old Jun 9th 2006, 1:22 pm

David and Lynsey will become famous soon enoughDavid and Lynsey will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ELLJAY
Saying that - you have to prepare yourself for the fact that your children (and mine) may choose to live elsewhere in the future - and we will have to face life without our respective grandchildren :scared:

from....another Linsey!
You are right, but would like to fhink that we would be supportive of where the kids want to live, not give them a hard time about it.
Having said that we would be gutted if they chose to go back permanently!
Old Jun 9th 2006, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by David and Lynsey
You are right, but would like to fhink that we would be supportive of where the kids want to live, not give them a hard time about it.
Having said that we would be gutted if they chose to go back permanently!
Are you really on at 2.30am :scared:

yeah - i agree with you. it's a very tricky area. My Dad said to my mum "I thought Linsey said she'd always look after us when we're old". I did - but that was so LAST YEAR! things change...doesnt stop you feeling guilty though.

L-j
Old Jun 9th 2006, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by ELLJAY
Are you really on at 2.30am :scared:

yeah - i agree with you. it's a very tricky area. My Dad said to my mum "I thought Linsey said she'd always look after us when we're old". I did - but that was so LAST YEAR! things change...doesnt stop you feeling guilty though.

L-j
Yes I/we are still on (Lynsey has fallen asleep) I have just come off backshift.

I think guilt is something that we as parents will have to come to terms with( for the greater good)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.