Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

thoughts on potential terrorist attacks?

thoughts on potential terrorist attacks?

Old Nov 23rd 2003, 9:50 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default thoughts on potential terrorist attacks?

Hi guys,
just wondered what the feeling about the risk of terrorist attacks was in Oz? I for one, especially since the recent attack in Europe which I think (if I remember correctly) were aimed at Westerners esp. English, feel quite uneasy at times going to the big shopping malls etc.
what are peoples thoughts in Oz? do people generally ignore 'it' or is it a much talked about subject? Do Aussies/expats feel they are a target?

Sue
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 10:51 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: thoughts on potential terrorist attacks?

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
Hi guys,
just wondered what the feeling about the risk of terrorist attacks was in Oz? I for one, especially since the recent attack in Europe which I think (if I remember correctly) were aimed at Westerners esp. English, feel quite uneasy at times going to the big shopping malls etc.
what are peoples thoughts in Oz? do people generally ignore 'it' or is it a much talked about subject? Do Aussies/expats feel they are a target?

Sue
I don't know what the average Aussie thinks but it certainly hasn't come up in conversation with anyone I have spoken to over here. When in the UK I remember always being more aware nearer christmas of possible bomb threats from IRA, as indeed we did have in Manchester. There were statements made on the news this weekend about OZ expats being aware of the locations they may congregate in to watch the Rugby final but I haven't heard anymore than that.

The Australians have obviously been affected by the attack in USA, and closer to home in Bali. When Bush visited here recently there was a similar show, as in the UK, of the country's ability to deal with a terrorist attack and also people demonstrating against the war in Iraq.

Sadly the reality is that the World has not been free from War and people die everyday. I think I am safer than millions of other people whether I am in Uk or OZ and for this I am grateful.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

Hi guys,

Sue

Never think about it although the Press are always warning that Australia is a target. I grew up in in a town that was bombed by the I.R.A. in the early 70's, and when I was a teenager it was a regular hangout for the young recruits from Aldershot. Felt a bit uneasy in certain pubs then.
Can't see a lot of point worrying about things that may/may not happen, if you worry too much, you'd never get on the plane here, just in case......
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 11:00 am
Badge

What impressed me about aussie was the national emergency number they gave out, and the adverts on the radio and the "lets be aware" programme towards the end of 2002. "we're proud of our nation - lets keep it that way".

Do we have that in the UK with our 35+ years of terroism experience - no. Shameful.

Badge

Old Nov 23rd 2003, 12:01 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jirrupin

Sadly the reality is that the World has not been free from War and people die everyday. I think I am safer than millions of other people whether I am in Uk or OZ and for this I am grateful.
I completely agree with Donna, there are millions of people out there who live with this sort of thing everyday (think Jeruselum/West Bank, Northern Ireland etc), I think Im alot luckier than most. I do feel safer here, but not just from terrorism.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Well some of the Aussies I know are absolutely convinced that (for some inexplicable reason) Kwinana powerstation is a terrorist target!!

Surely if Al Qeda are gonna bomb mainland Australia they will go for somewhere like the harbour bridge or the opera house...why on earth they think Kwinana powerstation is of any interest to them is quite baffling really?!

I do know that they were incredibly scared and shocked at the Bali bomb though, as they have never had terrorism so close to home before so perhaps that's why? But I have to say I feel much safer here than I would in the UK right now.

love sophia xxx
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Tazzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

Sue
Its funny you should bring up this thread. Only today I was thinking about this. For some unknown reason, I'm sure I will feel safer from terroist in Oz, than here in the U.K. Maybe its just me with my rose tinted glasses on but these nutters have really got it in for the "westerners", which to me is Europe and the U.S.A. My feelings now are that I'll feel alot safer in some Aussie town that not many people out of Australia have heard of. Then I feel now, living on the outskirts of Manchester. But I guess these maniacs don't really have any boundaries, they'll go anywhere and do anything that will bring death and destruction. At the end of the day, I just want a safe place to bring up my children. I feel that the U.K. is not providing me with this anymore.
Am I being naive?
I'm sure Dotty will put me right.
Tazzy
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 5:12 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Every westerner is a target, whether you're in London , New York, Sydney or even Thailand. You can't spend your life worrying about terrorism, the odds on getting caught up in an attack are extremely minimal and who is to say where is 'safe' or 'unsafe'.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Andiii is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know what on earth the above poster, ) ... is talking about. But I prefer she be in therapy rather than project her anger and hate on someone she does not know. Diagnosis: delusional.

Anyway, I don't think Australia is at any imminent risks of terrorism. Perhaps in the future but not at the moment.

I don't think about it too much. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen. I rather live my life than live in fear of a terrorist attack.

If I die, then I die.

But as I said, it's something that I don't feel any of us should be worried about.

P.S. To the poster who wonders why they'd target a powerstation: Isn't it obvious? It's Australia's main source . Attack that and one can cripple a country. All national defenses, being computer automated, would be rendered useless. It's the 'perfect' target, as I believe we have no backup.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 6:34 pm
:0)
Just Joined

:0) is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Andiii
P.S. To the poster who wonders why they'd target a powerstation: Isn't it obvious? It's Australia's main source . Attack that and one can cripple a country. All national defenses, being computer automated, would be rendered useless. It's the 'perfect' target, as I believe we have no backup.
Yes i can see how attacking a power station in Perth will cripple Australia... bet the military have not thought about national defenses needing power... maybe they have duracell on stand by... if only the US had attacked Iraq powerstations on morning of day one... the war would have been over by lunchtime...
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 7:01 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hiya :0),

I think the idea behind terorists attacking a power station is to cause disruption to everyday life and to the economy.

I think that the army may have stand by generators, the same as hospitals etc.

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

P.S. To the poster who wonders why they'd target a powerstation: Isn't it obvious? It's Australia's main source . Attack that and one can cripple a country. All national defenses, being computer automated, would be rendered useless. It's the 'perfect' target, as I believe we have no backup. [/QUOTE]

Andiiiiiii

You're an idiot. You obviously no nothing about civil defence. All countries have a back up system, cutting off a power station will be a bit of a headache but would not render a country useless.
:lecture:

Tazzy
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Tazzy
Its funny you should bring up this thread. Only today I was thinking about this. For some unknown reason, I'm sure I will feel safer from terroist in Oz, than here in the U.K. Maybe its just me with my rose tinted glasses on but these nutters have really got it in for the "westerners", which to me is Europe and the U.S.A. My feelings now are that I'll feel alot safer in some Aussie town that not many people out of Australia have heard of. Then I feel now, living on the outskirts of Manchester. But I guess these maniacs don't really have any boundaries, they'll go anywhere and do anything that will bring death and destruction. At the end of the day, I just want a safe place to bring up my children. I feel that the U.K. is not providing me with this anymore.
Am I being naive?
I'm sure Dotty will put me right.
Tazzy
You called

We joke actually, who the hell would bother attacking the Sunny Coast, not much to hit really What they gonna target the big flamin pineapple?

Still more seriously, OZ could well be a target, it does a lovely job of sucking up to the Yanks which is not always diplomatic, plus we are on Asias doorstep, and quite regarly insult or upset them, its Naive to think OZ will never be attacked.

I grew up in London, Central London was like the local shops to us, IRA was always having an impact on my childhood, got used to it really.

I suppose now the most dangerous thing I do is living in OZ I have to spend such a hideous amount of time in Planes with such lax security, thats what worries me most.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Dotty for your pearls of wisdom!!

Tazzy
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 7:55 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by badgersmount
What impressed me about aussie was the national emergency number they gave out, and the adverts on the radio and the "lets be aware" programme towards the end of 2002. "we're proud of our nation - lets keep it that way".

Do we have that in the UK with our 35+ years of terroism experience - no. Shameful.

Badge
It was a national joke and a waste of 30 million dollars. Most leaflets went straight in the bin. I felt the whole exercise was scaremongering.

The main effect has been to harden the attititudes of the type who cannot see a reason to holiday anywhere outside of Australia. It has increased ignorance of the outside world and I feel sorry for any muslim in Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.