Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on London bombings

Thoughts on London bombings

Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:31 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thoughts on London bombings

Originally Posted by mr mover
..."one mans Terrorist is Another mans freedom fighter"...
I've always thought that quote needed the following qualifier: "except in a liberal democracy, in which case, one man's terrorist is just that, a terrorist".

A.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dmartyos
Steve/Claire - Can I ask what PIP is please?
PIP is PomsInPerth.com , the forum there has a large minority of idiots and it's not a particularly nice place to be
Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

I'd like to add some thoughts on the bombings. I. like many people would have been running it through my mind and piecing together information released to the public. For the last 3 - 4 days, I have been having grave doubts about the authenticity of these bombers. Most people are saying they are related to Al Qaeda, but I am not so sure.
I have been watching CCN and Sky News coverage of all this tonight, and two separate terrorist experts have voiced the same opinons as myself.

Firstly, most Al Qaeda suicide bombers try to remain anonymous even after the attack, yet these bombers have gone out of their way to publicise who they are by leaving drivers licences and other forms of identification pointing to who they are. Why would you do this? It will and has, directed the police straight to their families and their community, and also left clues and links to those still alive who may have helped in the planning of this attack. Not very "professional" in my opinion.
Also the bus bomber who has just been identified on CCTC at Luton station was unable to go to where he was originally intended to detonate it as the Northern line was closed (this was supposedly his target). Experts are speculating that he panicked and didnt know what to do and thats how he ended up on the bus.

All appears very odd to me and not neccesarily the work of Al Qaeda.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:54 pm
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Shellfish
Or a bomb at Waterloo station, given the number of people there at peakhour.

Don't forget that Australia has Indonesia as it's closest neighbour, with a population of over 200 million, there could easily be some fanatics with their eyes set on Aus.
Err, not IN Oz but what about Bali and the Aussie Embassy in Jakarta? Aussies have been the victims of terrorism as much as anyone else in the last few years.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:03 pm
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Seabird
Secondly, there is no doubt that Oz is on the "hit list", not the place to go to get away from it... try New Zealand, they don't get involved!!
Only because both their tanks are in for a service and their Sopwith Camel is busy rounding up sheep
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:12 pm
Gone surfin'

I'm not in any way trying to trivialise what happened in London but I just returned from Cambodia today. What happened there makes 9/11, Bali, Madrid and London pale in comparison..... and it didn't happen that long ago. Likewise Rwanda, likewise the former Yugoslavia.

Because its happening in our cities and to us we are taking much more notice. If anything comes out of all of this madness, I hope somewhere we all find it in ourselves to take a bit more notice of these attrocities EVEN when they aren't happening to us. Maybe then we will all find enough compassion to stop it from happening.... and maybe then those who would like to harm us will believe that our interference in the Muslim world has more to do with our concern for our fellow man than it has to do with our own self interest

Sorry, but the sight of all of those human skulls (and the rest of their bones) has been a sobering experience. Where the hell were we then? Why weren't we getting involved THEN?

Last edited by Soi Oz; Jul 14th 2005 at 5:14 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

jarv is on a distinguished road

By your own admission you have missed my point entirely, I am not saying that it couldn't happen in Oz but what I do believe is that most immigrants who are there have got in on merit and not been welcomed in regardless.
I believe the UK has done too little too late with regards to immigration and along with the dilution of the british culture there has been a dilution in respect for life and other people.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 11:14 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Soi Oz
I'm not in any way trying to trivialise what happened in London but I just returned from Cambodia today. What happened there makes 9/11, Bali, Madrid and London pale in comparison..... and it didn't happen that long ago. Likewise Rwanda, likewise the former Yugoslavia.

Because its happening in our cities and to us we are taking much more notice. If anything comes out of all of this madness, I hope somewhere we all find it in ourselves to take a bit more notice of these attrocities EVEN when they aren't happening to us. Maybe then we will all find enough compassion to stop it from happening.... and maybe then those who would like to harm us will believe that our interference in the Muslim world has more to do with our concern for our fellow man than it has to do with our own self interest

Sorry, but the sight of all of those human skulls (and the rest of their bones) has been a sobering experience. Where the hell were we then? Why weren't we getting involved THEN?
Old Jul 15th 2005, 12:10 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Terrorism is about creating a climate of fear. And it looks like you've played straight into the terrorists' hands by scurrying off to Oz - you big girly. Still, now you're in Oz, you've probably got a far greater chance of contracting skin cancer or being involved in a road accident than in a terrorist incident, if you had remained in London.
Oh good, Stanton's back!

Look, I lived, studied and worked in London during the IRA bombings, and was out and about in St Albans when that one went off too, so I know what it's like living in defiance of terrorists.

I didn't "scurry" to Australia, I came for a better life, which is what I have been able to make for myself, working in a job I love without having to do sardine impressions in a tube/train twice a day.

The chance of a nuke going off in London might be remote, I hope it never happens but if it does I'll be over here in the sun, feeling sorry for everyone who, like the pre war jews, didn't read the warning signs of a society in terminal decline.

Too many rats in a maze go crazy and start killing each other.

By the way, I think Badge wants to ask you out on a date.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 1:37 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Thoughts on London bombings

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I really hope not, was there a huge swing against the Irish every time the IRA set off a bomb?

JTL

Maybe not in the way people will look upon Muslims.........but my family is Irish, a lot live in the Uk and have all been on the receiving end of nasty racism around the time of IRA bombings. I would state that the UK is not a load of genuinely PC people, just people who say they are!
Old Jul 15th 2005, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Soi Oz

One of the most disturbing thing I have ever seen was footage of the genocide in Rwanda, pregnant women being raped and then having their breasts and hands cut off, so they couldn't care for themselves or their children. 8 million people murdered! What was their crime? Oh yes, they didn't have any oil.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 9:12 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
I've always thought that quote needed the following qualifier: "except in a liberal democracy, in which case, one man's terrorist is just that, a terrorist".

A.
Thats a good point, "But one mans Liberal is another mans Greenie"............ mm
Old Jul 15th 2005, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Shellfish
One of the most disturbing thing I have ever seen was footage of the genocide in Rwanda, pregnant women being raped and then having their breasts and hands cut off, so they couldn't care for themselves or their children. 8 million people murdered! What was their crime? Oh yes, they didn't have any oil.
Yes no "Regime Change" for them. (Have you seen Hotel Rwanda - brilliant movie).

It seems that Zimababwe is suffering from the same thing...
Old Jul 15th 2005, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Terrorism is about creating a climate of fear. And it looks like you've played straight into the terrorists' hands by scurrying off to Oz - you big girly. Still, now you're in Oz, you've probably got a far greater chance of contracting skin cancer or being involved in a road accident than in a terrorist incident, if you had remained in London.

As for a 'good immigration screening system' - so what? Fanatics don't just come from 'overseas'. Or does that mean all Poms are would-be terrorists? The 4 bombers were Brits. The Oklahoma bomber was an American. And Martin Bryant, the sicko that despatched more than 35 people in Tasmania, was an Australian. Admittedly, I'm using a bit of artistic licence here, Mr Bryant may not be classified as a terrorist, but he had the same disregard for human life, including children.

'Fanatical' some terrorists may be, but that doesn't make them stupid. Indeed because they are willing to die as part of their terrorist act, it makes them an ideal terror machine: and almost impossible to stop.

At midday today, along with thousands of others, I'll be down on one of the Underground platforms thinking about those who we lost. And like the others, it will be part rememberance and part defiance.

Very fine post sir

To those who are reacting in the way, that the terroists want, IE: blaming the muslims en Masse,

You are mugs ! Fallen for the trap suckers....

Tolerance, and acceptance is what makes the west the great place it is. If you cannot see, that so few, are causing such negative reaction, then you ought to get on the omega 3 fish oil now, in the hope that it boosts the few brains cells you have.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Very fine post sir

To those who are reacting in the way, that the terroists want, IE: blaming the muslims en Masse,

You are mugs ! Fallen for the trap suckers....

Tolerance, and acceptance is what makes the west the great place it is. If you cannot see, that so few, are causing such negative reaction, then you ought to get on the omega 3 fish oil now, in the hope that it boosts the few brains cells you have.
Excellent post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.