Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thoughts about staying here 'forever'

Thoughts about staying here 'forever'

Old Mar 4th 2005, 5:02 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Thoughts about staying here 'forever'

Right, this is going to be a very random thread, and me just basically putting random thoughts down.

As mentioned in other thread, I'm trying to figure out why I want to live in Australia(WA) 'forever'(or for now, longterm anyway), and can't even think of going back to The Netherlands.

The main things I've thought of now is friends and houses and nature.
But maybe it's the fact that I grew up here, and it just feels like home. But I grew up in The Netherlands (NL) too, and that feels like home too.

So: friends. The only friends I've ever kept are the ones I made age 10, in Bridgetown. Especially Emily. But still, I could live without them(did without them for the last 8 years, and had more than enough 'friends' and aquantainces(??!) in NL too.
Any, do have more friends around now(who are great/which is great), but actually have to get used to that, forget about them sometimes...

Houses: I one day want a house with a small block of land, so I can have dogs, chooks and goats. I believe this is more affordable here, but I'm not even sure, because in NL we would probably earn more so could probably afford it too. And here the 'dream' doesn't look like coming true for a while, because Pascal works as a graphic designer, and at the moment, and prob for years to come, that means working near the CBD.

Nature: I always talk about loving the hills, and the southwest, but how much time to do we actually spend there. A few day trips and weekends, and we're doing that more than we did in NL, but then, that's starting to wear off too (and also is more due to friends inviting us to come down, like this weekend to Albany)

Weather: Weather doesn't affect what I do. It's nice that it doesn't rain that much Spring, summer autumn, but even if it rains, it's never really stopped me doing stuff in NL. And here it is still cold and wet in Winter(esp without insulation and hardly any heating) and can be too hot in summer, and sun is dangerous.
So weather doesn't pull me either way when I really break it down.

Family: most family in NL, though parents and brother coming back out in August to live. This is sort of a major factor, because I'm not sure we would've stayed here long term otherwise, I want my kids to (especially) know my parents.
Rest of family not very important, I'm not close to grandparents, as didn't grow up around them. Pascal's parents are well off enough to come out every so often(well, this year anyway!!), and he sort of gets along better with mine anyway. And he gets along great with his brother, but they both don't seem to bothered about being apart, or at least don't show it!

Now, what are other factors most people on here move.... Politics and immigrants and stuff?! Pfff, all western countries all come down to basically the same things, same problems, and if not yet, than will in future.
And there's no issues at the moment that affect me to majorly in day to day life, as far as I am aware.

So, what is it then, why are we here..... I have a feeling it's a combination, for me, of an adventure(as is, it's all a bit different, but nothing major), and wanting my childhood back!
Maybe I will be bored in a few years, but at the moment I can't see that happening, as there's only so much time to 'explore', in between working, sleeping, cooking, eating and shopping (and all this bloody time I spend on here, grrrrrr).

Anyway, I'm actually not really looking for answers and aren't actually be bothered by this (just think about it once in a while), so please don't ask me why I posted this!
Who cares, I'm happy, Pascal's happy, my family will be hopefully, and Pascal's seem to be getting used to the idea....

Last edited by Simone; Mar 4th 2005 at 5:18 am.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts about staying here 'forever'

Hi Simone
I just wrote a response but the puter crashed (keeps happening and driving me nuts!)
Anyway, I was just saying that its the word "forever" which does my head in. I wouldn't want to feel like I was staying anywhere forever, although I'm glad to have had the opportunity to have a go at living here. Staying in the UK forever would have felt like a life sentence too... think I will take things a few years at a time instead... if I'm still here when I'm 80 then so be it
ATB
Larissa
Old Mar 4th 2005, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Superior, how can I possibly write a response to your so superior response? I wonder if the mods will let me change my username to inferior?
Old Mar 4th 2005, 5:40 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Superior
I think you ought to go somewhere where they allow millions of asylum shoppers instead as you have that bleeding heart attitude. The UK for instance. WE, the Australians will never let that happen to our country.
Could you please not say WE, the Australians. I would rather not be associated with you in any way.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 5:52 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry, you will never be mistaken for a true blue Aussie.

And neither will you.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 6:08 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Don't worry, you will never be mistaken for a true blue Aussie.

But she will get a lot closer than you I bet.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 7:09 am
Phoenixuk2oz

I think you ought to go somewhere where they allow millions of asylum shoppers instead as you have that bleeding heart attitude. The UK for instance. WE, the Australians will never let that happen to our country.
What has this got to do with this thread? And why pick on Larissa? [or anyone for that matter]

Stop being a troll and get back under the bridge

Old Mar 4th 2005, 7:28 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
What has this got to do with this thread? And why pick on Larissa? [or anyone for that matter]

Stop being a troll and get back under the bridge
Nicely said.

Back to the point.

As I sit here in the UK, it is just above freezing, snowing and grey skies, so right now the thought of forever in Australia sounds fantastic.

That being said, I dont see my migration as being a permanent thing, I may get homesick and want to go home, but I will give it a go, and if I am in Australia when I retire then I wont be too upset.

Dont worry about forever, you dont know how long that will be. Not a particularly cheery thought, but if you spend too much time thinking about what life could be like somewhere else, you could miss whats going on where you are.

Bye
Claire
Old Mar 4th 2005, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Phoenix, I think I wound him up on the asylum thread which I haven't got the time or inclination to keep up with
Old Mar 4th 2005, 7:38 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Larissa
Thanks Phoenix, I think I wound him up on the asylum thread which I haven't got the time or inclination to keep up with
Yeh...I keep away from those topics as you can never really portray what you have to say sensitively...without upsetting someone ....from all quarters. Having said that, Superior should defend his standpoint on the thread in question with a sensible argument, not trollish behaviour

You didn't deserve that

Old Mar 4th 2005, 7:50 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Thanks guys
Argh, it's so hard trying to ignore trolls, hey?!

Anyway, I'm not afraid of staying here forever(but I do have forever in brackets anyway), it's more that I'm just wondering why I prefer it here(now), while when I get down to the specifics, I can't pinpoint anything that's actually better!
But don't worry, it's a confusing post... :scared:

Yep, I'm not going to waste much time on this, just going to enjoy life(starting with a 4 hour carride in the morning Which I actually don't mind much, and at least the petrol is quite cheap)

:-)

Right, nearly 5, better start turning computer off etc!
Old Mar 4th 2005, 8:00 am
Phoenixuk2oz

As for things being forever; If there's anything I've learned so far in life...it's that nothing is forever.

With the best intentions in the world, things can change and you may take a completely different direction in life and end up somewhere you never dreamed. There are so many variables that happen in life that influence this so you can't always tell when you'll take the next road.

As for why we chose where we live. I think sometimes it's about emotion and how living somewhere makes you "feel" inside. It's like listening to a song that brings back good.... or bad memories. Living somewhere does the same, whether that's in UK or Aus or wherever in the world...you have memories that are difficult to erase as you "feel" them in your bones. That's why I can understand why some people constantly yearn to live where their heart is [wherever that may be]....cos it's difficult if not impossible to belong anywhere unless you "feel" good living there.

Wonder if this makes sense

Old Mar 4th 2005, 9:21 am
ABCDiamond

Forever !

I've been tracing my family tree recently, and that word "forever" comes into the picture.
My Great Grandad was born in a town in Lancs, he also worked there, in the same works all his life, and he died there. (I think he went to Blackpool each year for the works outing/annual holiday). His son, (my grandad), also born in the same town, also worked in the same works, and also knew Blackpool like the back of his hand. He also died in the same town.

Now that's "forever"

I think we have all moved on from that, the world has opened up to us, and we can all take advantage of the new opportunities.

None of us should think "forever" these days.

Oh yes... I forgot to mention, My Grandad did get a gold watch for it all (You may need to be old enough to understand that one )

Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:21 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
My Grandad did get a gold watch for it all (You may need to be old enough to understand that one )
The company I worked for in UK still does that for long service

Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:24 am
PommieLeague

Id be willing to stay on 2 conditions;

The postal system improves.

An NRL club is set up in Perth and plays all its games at Members Equity Stadium.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.