Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thought for the day!

Thought for the day!

Old Mar 17th 2004, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thought for the day!

Not relevant to Lifestyle and Culture Australia and NZ I know but I share this thought for the day from my desk calendar:

"I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on, I go into another room and read a good book". Groucho Marx.

Two more pearls of wisdom from Groucho Marx on other days:

"Time wounds all heels".

"The secret of success is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake both you've got it made".

And seeing Groucho was an American here's a couple more from the famous baseball coach in the USA, Yogi Berra:

Having been to the opera once he commented "It ain't over until the fat lady sings" which everyone will recognise and another 'pearler' from Berra "If you come to a fork in the road, take it!" I wonder where Disney got the name Yogi Bear?

Feel free to share any other 'witicisms' you may have.

OzTennis
Old Mar 17th 2004, 1:29 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!
Old Mar 17th 2004, 1:32 pm
WBB

Difficult things take a long time, impossible things a little longer.

quite apt for us lot waiting for our visas.

Old Mar 17th 2004, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Two good ones guys. Two more to keep it going:

The Scottish physicist, James Clerk Maxwell, when arriving at Cambridge University was told there would be a compulsory 6.00 am church service.

He stroked his beard thoughtfully and slowly pronounced "Aye, I suppose I could stay up that late".

"Education is a wonderful thing. If you couldn't sign your name you'd have to pay cash". Rita Mae Brown

OzTennis

and on a slightly baser level, Confuscious say "he who has a s**te (Scots version of word!) on a weighbridge, does business on a big scale".
Old Mar 17th 2004, 2:25 pm
Member who went to Aus

cutgrass is an unknown quantity at this point

This was pubished in ChemTech magazine in March 1989 by Albert Caresale of Harvard University. I've carried it with me since I left university. It's done me well so far and the one time I ignored it I regretted it for two years. Never again.

"When faced with a choice of alternative paths (for example fields of study, graduate schools or jobs) follow the path that scores highest on your tingle scale. Skeptics among you may wonder how tingle is to be measured. In theory that problem is difficult for the tingle metric represents an aggregation of unkown and unknowable likelihoods of failure, stakes, curiosity, excitement and fun. In practice however each individual is equipped with an internal tingle meter that works 'quite well' at distinguishing amongst alternatives. Because I believe strongly that each of us does best at that which tingles most, I advise you to rely upon your tingle meter as the compass pointing the way to a satisfying and productive career."
Old Mar 17th 2004, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by cutgrass
This was pubished in ChemTech magazine in March 1989 by Albert Caresale of Harvard University. I've carried it with me since I left university. It's done me well so far and the one time I ignored it I regretted it for two years. Never again.

"When faced with a choice of alternative paths (for example fields of study, graduate schools or jobs) follow the path that scores highest on your tingle scale. Skeptics among you may wonder how tingle is to be measured. In theory that problem is difficult for the tingle metric represents an aggregation of unkown and unknowable likelihoods of failure, stakes, curiosity, excitement and fun. In practice however each individual is equipped with an internal tingle meter that works 'quite well' at distinguishing amongst alternatives. Because I believe strongly that each of us does best at that which tingles most, I advise you to rely upon your tingle meter as the compass pointing the way to a satisfying and productive career."
What a good, simple piece of homespun advice, I'm thinking about carrying that with me from now on. 'When you come to a fork in the road, take it' is more practical advice though.

OzTennis
Old Mar 17th 2004, 2:36 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

If at first you don't Suceed, don't try parachuting.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by Bordy
If at first you don't Suceed, don't try parachuting.

And the David Brent (Ricky Gervais) version was something like 'if at first you don't succeed, remove all evidence that you tried in the first place' or something like that.

OzTennis

"Everything they said to Vincent Van Gogh went in one ear"
Old Mar 18th 2004, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

No matter how good you are at something, there's always about a million people better than you. - Homer Simpson

If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing! - Homer Simpson

Donuts...is there anything they CAN'T do? - Homer Simpson
Old Mar 18th 2004, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

My favourites from the Office:

- A problem shared is a problem halved, so is your problem really yours or just half of someone else's?

- Know your limitations and be content with them. Too much ambition results in promotion to a job you can't do.

- Show me a good loser and I'll show you a LOSER!
Old Mar 18th 2004, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Sims4eva is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Thought for the day!

I read this on a windscreen sticker and it tickled me. I don't mean to start an online battle of the sexes but here goes:

'Any woman who wants to be as good as a man lacks ambition!'

Classic
Old Mar 18th 2004, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Default Re: Thought for the day!

Originally posted by Sims4eva
I read this on a windscreen sticker and it tickled me. I don't mean to start an online battle of the sexes but here goes:

'Any woman who wants to be as good as a man lacks ambition!'

Classic
Nor do I but I like this one which in a way is even-handed and can be interpreted as offensive to both sexes - 'why are dumb blonde jokes so simple? So men can understand them'.

OzTennis

Keep them coming there have been lots of 'goodies'.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Sims4eva is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thought for the day!

I've got another one for you.

There are many tasks that have to be put off many times before you can forget about them completely!

Old Mar 18th 2004, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

About the Hunchback of Notre Dame - 'I don't know his name but his face rings a bell'.

And did you hear about the Frenchman who fell asleep as soon as his feet hit the pillow?

OzTennis
Old Mar 18th 2004, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point

W.C. Fields - I always keep a little stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.

Muzzman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.