Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For those worried about education standards in Australia...

Wikiposts

For those worried about education standards in Australia...

Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those worried about education standards in Australia...

Originally Posted by esperanza
It's never ever too early for children to learn languages - the earlier the better.
I'd agree with this. It doesn't have to be formalized, with tests, etc, but exposing kids to other languages at an early age is the best way.

I've read research saying that after seven or eight it is actually too late for the brain to absorb new languages in the natural way that only kids can.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenix_uk
Oh I agree with most of that no worries - however I have a little bee in my bonnet when it comes to the way so much is asked of very small children for the purpose of results or statistics.

I also feel there is little or no room for differences, in my experience as a mother of 3, 2 kids gone through the system without much trouble despite serious mistakes made by the education system in their final years, as previously said. On the other hand my daughter, I feel, has been badly let down by the UK's education system, because she's different.

In the 20 years that I have been involved with education through my kids I feel the standard has declined and the pressure on teachers and children has risen.
I agree - way too much emphasis on tests & statistics, it's madness - no good for pupils or teachers. And despite the current push for 'inclusion', with class sizes of over 30 now common in secondaries how can any of the kids be given proper individual attention?! Crazy!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I think the issue in Australia is that there is so little accountability in primary schools (how can a headteacher be accountable when he can't even choose his staff? (he has to take whatever is given to him by the ed dept)) the standards are at massive variance depending on where you live.

This is why if you are concerned about your child';s education you do have take some initiative yourself.
I could raise dozens of questions from just your first few posts in this thread (and I haven't got beyond post 3 or 4 please note). Try these 2 for a starter:

Is the presumption if you find out that Australian schools are not doing the same as UK schools at the same year level that they are failing (in your eyes)?

Do you also take over from your doctor or accountant or lawyer because you know what is best for patient, client, child? No, you'll probably say your doctor, accountant or lawyer know best but when it comes to my child's education I know best!

OzTennis
Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

My 6 year old niece came home the other day(UK), ate three bags of sweets while her dad's back was turned, and announced "If I was at school I wouldn't even feel comme ci comme ca" next morning she announced she felt "mal au tummy" Apparently her teacher is in charge of languages and just says a few words now and then. The kids think its great, the parents are stunned when they hear the odd word, and the best bit is the kids are enjoying it.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
My 6 year old niece came home the other day(UK), ate three bags of sweets while her dad's back was turned, and announced "If I was at school I wouldn't even feel comme ci comme ca" next morning she announced she felt "mal au tummy" Apparently her teacher is in charge of languages and just says a few words now and then. The kids think its great, the parents are stunned when they hear the odd word, and the best bit is the kids are enjoying it.
That's great, it's exactly how languages should be learned - drip feeding in a natural way, not a stressful struggle one hour a week. Lucky niece!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Lest there be any fears about tertiary education in Australia, have a look at the esteemed Times Higher Education Supplement of the world's top universities, according to their criteria.

I make it 8 in the top 50 for 60 million people and 5 for 20 million people.

One would presume if there was a problem, concerns or under-achievement at primary and secondary level vis a vis the UK this would filter through to tertiary level and be reflected in poor performance for Australian tertiary institutions?

1 Harvard University United States
2 University of Cambridge United Kingdom
3 University of Oxford United Kingdom
4= Massachusetts Institute of Technology United States
4= Yale University United States
6 Stanford University United States
7 California Institute of Technology United States
8 University of California, Berkeley United States
9 Imperial College London United Kingdom
10 Princeton University United States
11 University of Chicago United States
12 Columbia University United States
13 Duke University United States
14 Peking University China
15 Cornell University United States
16 Australian National University Australia
17 London School of Economics and Political... United Kingdom
18 Ecole Normale Supérieure France
19= National University of Singapore Singapore
19= University of Tokyo Japan
21 McGill University Canada
22 University of Melbourne Australia
23 Johns Hopkins University United States
24 ETH Zurich Switzerland
25 University College London (UCL) United Kingdom
26 University of Pennsylvania United States
27 University of Toronto Canada
28 Tsing Hua University China
29= Kyoto University Japan
29= University of Michigan United States
31 University of California, Los Angeles United States
32 University of Texas at Austin United States
33= University of Edinburgh United Kingdom
33= University of Hong Kong Hong Kong
35= University of Sydney Australia
35= Carnegie Mellon University United States
37 École Polytechnique France
38 Monash University Australia
39 University of Geneva Switzerland
40 University of Manchester United Kingdom
41 University of New South Wales Australia
42 Northwestern University United States
43 New York University United States
44 University of California, San Diego United States
45 University of Queensland Australia
46= King's College London United Kingdom
46= University of Auckland New Zealand
48= University of Rochester United States
48= Washington University in St. Louis United States
50= Chinese University of Hong Kong Hong Kong
50= University of British Colombia

OzTennis
Old Mar 13th 2007, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Of course it depends what their criteria are....

(Before you tell me in minute detail, I'm on your side, I see no reason to think the Australian education system is inferior!)
Old Mar 13th 2007, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by esperanza
Of course it depends what their criteria are....

(Before you tell me in minute detail, I'm on your side, I see no reason to think the Australian education system is inferior!)
Since there are those (not you) who seem to want to show that the Australian education system is inferior to that of the UK and seek ways of trying to prove it, may I point out:

1 THES is probably the most esteemed educational tome in the world, their annual survey is highly regarded and they are British.

2 The criteria they use for their annual survey is based on:

The ranking weights are: Peer Review Score (40%), Recruiter Review (10%), International Faculty Score (5%), International Students Score (5%), Faculty/Student Score (20%), Citations/Faculty score (20%).

If there is a more suitable method of judging universities I'm more than happy to see the results!

OzTennis
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Since there are those (not you) who seem to want to show that the Australian education system is inferior to that of the UK and seek ways of trying to prove it, may I point out:

1 THES is probably the most esteemed educational tome in the world, their annual survey is highly regarded and they are British.

2 The criteria they use for their annual survey is based on:

The ranking weights are: Peer Review Score (40%), Recruiter Review (10%), International Faculty Score (5%), International Students Score (5%), Faculty/Student Score (20%), Citations/Faculty score (20%).

If there is a more suitable method of judging universities I'm more than happy to see the results!

OzTennis

Don't really want to show that the Aus system is worse, but certain things, as mentioned in previous posts, set off alarm bells.

Interesting comments from an Aussie on the THES ranking of Australian universities here:
http://www.archsoc.com/kcas/bestunis.html
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis

Is the presumption if you find out that Australian schools are not doing the same as UK schools at the same year level that they are failing (in your eyes)?

Do you also take over from your doctor or accountant or lawyer because you know what is best for patient, client, child? No, you'll probably say your doctor, accountant or lawyer know best but when it comes to my child's education I know best!

OzTennis
1. No I don't think that they are failing. But I have a view of what I want my kids to know and understand.

2. An accountant would probably do their own books. A doctor would certainly have an opinion on medical matters concerning their family. A lawyer would give his/her family legal advice.
I'm a teacher. I like to think that I do have an insight to education. And yes, given that background, I probably do know best for my kids with regards to education.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Do you know - i never presume I know whats best for my kids - I only do what I think is right - they don't come with a handbook and they are all different entitled to and surely have their own personalities and opinions.

Certain education styles will suit some and not others - I dont see it as UK vs Oz - I see it as a different opportunity to try. It will or will not suit, but one thing I do think - and that is that the UK is no way superior to the Aus system and vice versa.

Aus is Aus the Uk is the Uk - you have choices - use them !
Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenix_uk
Do you know - i never presume I know whats best for my kids - I only do what I think is right - they don't come with a handbook and they are all different entitled to and surely have their own personalities and opinions.

Certain education styles will suit some and not others - I dont see it as UK vs Oz - I see it as a different opportunity to try. It will or will not suit, but one thing I do think - and that is that the UK is no way superior to the Aus system and vice versa.

Aus is Aus the Uk is the Uk - you have choices - use them !
OK - I am doing what I think is right. Semantics?
Old Mar 13th 2007, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

1. No I don't think that they are failing. But I have a view of what I want my kids to know and understand.

And yes, given that background, I probably do know best for my kids with regards to education.
If this is how you feel, why don't you home school your children? That way you alone have the responsibility of ensuring your children get everything you want them to get from their primary education.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gibbo
If this is how you feel, why don't you home school your children? That way you alone have the responsibility of ensuring your children get everything you want them to get from their primary education.
Because schools do a lot of good. They provide opportunities to develop personal relationships, social cohesion, sporting abilities.

Plus home schooling isn't practical in most cases (certainly ours) and even if it was I'm not convinced that it would be right for our kids.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Because schools do a lot of good. They provide opportunities to develop personal relationships, social cohesion, sporting abilities.

Plus home schooling isn't practical in most cases (certainly ours) and even if it was I'm not convinced that it would be right for our kids.
I totally agree with you as to the negatives associated with home schooling. However, I do feel that you could be worrying unnecessarily about your children's education. I say this as a teacher, with more years experience than I care to admit to, both here and in Scotland. My four sons have been educated in Australia. I had many misgivings in the early years of my first three sons schooling, despite this they have turned out well rounded, successful adults. The NSW education system has improved immensely since then and I had no such concerns with my youngest son. I cannot comment on WA, no experience, but I hope your experience will be the same as mine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.