Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For those that work at the mines.

For those that work at the mines.

Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:15 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default For those that work at the mines.

Im thinking about maybe going to work in the mines on a FIFO, but im a bit worried about going alone, do you think its a safe place for women?, are there lots of women that work there aswell as men?
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:20 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: For those that work at the mines.

What type of job are you hoping to get?

I can't answer your questions, but I hope you realize that you generally need a trade or profession that they need. I'm sure that's stating the obvious, but it's quite difficult to high paying jobs at the mines unless you have something they need.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by comet555
What type of job are you hoping to get?

I can't answer your questions, but I hope you realize that you generally need a trade or profession that they need. I'm sure that's stating the obvious, but it's quite difficult to high paying jobs at the mines unless you have something they need.
Alot of women do the cleaning job's All the rooms have to be cleaned then there is the job's in the restaurant's and bar's you don't need a trade for them.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:40 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Im not worried about getting work plenty of jobs in OH&S, i seriously dont think there employing hairdressers its more the lifestyle when there im concerned about.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:43 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by billymacker
Alot of women do the cleaning job's All the rooms have to be cleaned then there is the job's in the restaurant's and bar's you don't need a trade for them.
Yes, true enough. But are they willing to fly in fly out for those positions? I didn't say that they never hired unskilled people, only that "generally" the majority of fly in fly out postions are for trades or professionals.

I don't know what the answer is in Australia, it depends on how badly they need the jobs done. The mining towns I'm used to had enough local supply for unskilled jobs that the majority of fly in fly out positions were for skilled people.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:47 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by kelli28
Im not worried about getting work plenty of jobs in OH&S, i seriously dont think there employing hairdressers its more the lifestyle when there im concerned about.
Have a search for fly in fly out internet forums in Australia. I know there are a couple, you might get more information on one of those sites.

I have no idea what they're like in Oz unfortunately. The work camps where I was in Canada were full of men and had lots of drugs around. No idea about here though. I've heard some camps can be really nice and have lots of great facilities. So it probably varies camp to camp as well. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Hopefully someone will come along and answer your question.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Im thinking about maybe going to work in the mines on a FIFO, but im a bit worried about going alone, do you think its a safe place for women?, are there lots of women that work there aswell as men?
We just spent a week up at Mt Newman visiting one of our sons and speaking with investors.

We got invited to the BHP Christmas Party while up there where we met loads of single girls who were doing FIFO.

Some drove trucks, some were unskilled lab technicians who received on the job training. All bar none were earning big bucks.

It's quite a while since i worked up the mines myself, it used to be brill then ...... but I'd say it's a lot better now.

Accommodation is top notch; not like it was when i was up there. The craic is good ............. i'd say go for it. Conditions and the heat can be a bit harsh, but you should soon acclimatise.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bobcat
We just spent a week up at Mt Newman visiting one of our sons and speaking with investors.

We got invited to the BHP Christmas Party while up there where we met loads of single girls who were doing FIFO.

Some drove trucks, some were unskilled lab technicians who received on the job training. All bar none were earning big bucks.

It's quite a while since i worked up the mines myself, it used to be brill then ...... but I'd say it's a lot better now.

Accommodation is top notch; not like it was when i was up there. The craic is good ............. i'd say go for it. Conditions and the heat can be a bit harsh, but you should soon acclimatise.

Where are these single girls again? I'm with the wrong mining company!

To the OP:

There are a lot of women coming into the industry because of things like equality laws and also that they tend to be better drivers for equipment, there are several mines that only hire women to drive the big 3-400 ton trucks. Hogan Mining train truck drivers...

Oz companies are very anti-drug and have regular alcohol and drug testing at all mine sites.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by TheDangerousQuietOne
Where are these single girls again? I'm with the wrong mining company!

To the OP:

There are a lot of women coming into the industry because of things like equality laws and also that they tend to be better drivers for equipment, there are several mines that only hire women to drive the big 3-400 ton trucks. Hogan Mining train truck drivers...

Oz companies are very anti-drug and have regular alcohol and drug testing at all mine sites.
I would be working in occupational health and safety so hopefully wont be needing to grow a mo and adopt a deep voice needed for being a truckie

but i have heard that the men indulge in a huge amount of drinking, drugs and fighting and wondered what kind of life the women that work there have?
especially the comment "because of things like equality laws" as if its something new

Last edited by Kelli28; Nov 27th 2008 at 11:37 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

I would be working in occupational health and safety so hopefully wont be needing to grow a mo and adopt a deep voice needed for being a truckie

but i have heard that the men indulge in a huge amount of drinking, drugs and fighting and wondered what kind of life the women that work there have?
especially the comment "because of things like equality laws" as if its something new
well in that case why don't you put together your CV/covering letter and send it to a whole batch of mining companies??? There are sites like www.infomine.com (my favorite) which list thousands of jobs in the industry and you can use that to find recruitment agencies etc.

I can see why you'd be worried about drinking/drugs/fighting but it's not like the wild west, if you don't want to be a part of that stuff it's easy to avoid, it's just the same as avoiding a rough part of town/rough pub in any place, you just don't go there!

You certainly wouldn't be the only woman if that's a worry so my advice is basically go out there and start applying for jobs!
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:31 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

That's what it was like when I worked on the mines in the late 80's. I think a lot depends on which mine you get sent to. A female friend of mine, a primary school teacher took a year off and drove dump trucks on the mines and got on OK, made a bit of cash but said it was incredibly boring.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by renth
That's what it was like when I worked on the mines in the late 80's. I think a lot depends on which mine you get sent to. A female friend of mine, a primary school teacher took a year off and drove dump trucks on the mines and got on OK, made a bit of cash but said it was incredibly boring.
Boring i can cope with although did she mean driving the trucks was boring or camp life was boring?
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:15 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Boring i can cope with although did she mean driving the trucks was boring or camp life was boring?
Both, although I think there could be plenty of shagging available if that's what you're after
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:23 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Well, they drug test as part of OH&S so I wouldnt imagine there are many drugs up there; but drinking and fighting yep probably.

I am told the biggest health issue up in the mines is obesity.... and my company is going to help that out by supplying 30 channels of Foxtel and high speed internet which means that muggins is going to be doing some FIFO
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by renth
Both, although I think there could be plenty of shagging available if that's what you're after
ooo eerrr nooooooo definatly NOT what im after!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.