Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For those who live in Oz - I would like to know

For those who live in Oz - I would like to know

Old Jul 8th 2003, 6:21 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

[i]It's winter now and yesterday afternoon I had to use the air-con in the car (I live in Brisbane's west).
Where abouts in the west?
Old Jul 8th 2003, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

kaleb777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Springfield. Another beautiful mid-winters day today. Realized it hasn't been very cold this winter because I'm still getting tomatoes of my vines (no greenhouse).

Right now it's raining which is very unusual in QLD winters, but it's more than welcome. Tonight is warm. I'm sitting in my shorts and t-shirt with the back door open enjoying the rain.
Old Jul 8th 2003, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

About the seeds mentioned before. Customs is pretty strict about anything organic that isn't processed food. Have a look at <a href="http://www.customs.gov.au/site/index.cfm?nav_id=670&area_id=5">this site.</a> It contains some basic info about permitted imports.
Old Jul 8th 2003, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry about the failed HTML. It's this site - http://www.customs.gov.au/site/index...=670&area_id=5
Old Jul 8th 2003, 9:57 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
great thread!!!

now why can't everyone be as informative as this??!!! this is what this forum is all about!!

badgers
I guess when your born here , or have been here 40 yrs you take all this for granted, but Kaleeb was only speaking for Queens land , every state has its own little set of intresting ,things to get used to............. MM
Old Jul 8th 2003, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Modigliana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by badgersmount
great thread!!!

now why can't everyone be as informative as this??!!! this is what this forum is all about!!

badgers
You are kidding.

10 Paragraphs
89 Lines
1207 Words
5258 Characters
1198 Spaces

A cats gotta eat.
Old Jul 8th 2003, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Anamws is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: For those who live in Oz - I would like to know

Originally posted by PeteY
Jayr,

What times the earliest it gets dark in brissie? Up north in qld it does'nt change much year round...nearly always about 6:30 to 7.
When we were over on hol in April night fell at around that time and aparantly according to our family who live over there it doesn't change all throughout the year. That is the only thing that I will find weird as I love the long days in the spring and summer we get in Britain, however this isn't going to stop me from going over, small deterrant if at all.
Old Jul 9th 2003, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Believe me, in summer you can't wait for the sun to go down. Wait till you get here. Everything you know about the sun will change. Everything related to the sun is opposite to the thinking in the UK.
Old Jul 9th 2003, 3:10 am
Keelie

Kaleb777 thanks for taking the time to answer my question.
It's understandable that customs are so picky about what they allow into the country.
Going through a terrible Mad Cow scare here in Canada, as well as many deaths from SARS...ranchers losing their livliehood...countries can't be too careful about what they allow to pass through their boundries.

Originally posted by kaleb777
About the seeds mentioned before. Customs is pretty strict about anything organic that isn't processed food. Have a look at <a href="http://www.customs.gov.au/site/index.cfm?nav_id=670&area_id=5">this site.</a> It contains some basic info about permitted imports.

Old Jul 9th 2003, 11:45 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Anamws
When we were over on hol in April night fell at around that time and aparantly according to our family who live over there it doesn't change all throughout the year. That is the only thing that I will find weird as I love the long days in the spring and summer we get in Britain, however this isn't going to stop me from going over, small deterrant if at all.

The days are just as long, it's just that they start and end earlier - sunny at about 04:30 in the summer and dark by about 19:30, add an hour to each for the states with daylight saving.
Old Jul 9th 2003, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jayr
The days are just as long, it's just that they start and end earlier - sunny at about 04:30 in the summer and dark by about 19:30, add an hour to each for the states with daylight saving.
I think the poster was referring to summer days. Summer days in Australia are significantly shorter than summer days in the UK. However, winter days are much longer. The further north you go in either country the more extreme the difference becomes. It all cancels out over a full year though and both countries (and any other country for that matter) have exactly the same amount of annual daylight.
Old Jul 9th 2003, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Believe me, in summer you can't wait for the sun to go down. Wait till you get here. Everything you know about the sun will change. Everything related to the sun is opposite to the thinking in the UK.
That's just your personal view. I love the sun and hate seeing it disappear at 1900 in the summer.

Each to his own but I absolutely adore the Brisbane weather summer and winter. I cannot think of a more perfect climate anywhere in the world.
Old Jul 9th 2003, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Kaleb, your posts are written by one obviously having been here a while. English warmth and two weeks in florida dont prepare you for Australian Summers. My kids favourite thing in summer was to get into the airconditioning after school, only time they wanted to be outside was for a swim if the pool was not too hot.
You are a wise man Kaleb keep posting.
Old Jul 12th 2003, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Thank you all so very much for your reply's the more honest the better, I haven't been ignoring you we have been on holiday for a week.

I have printed this long post out to go with my others of my idea's of what Oz is like, and my picture is getting much bigger thank you.
Old Jul 13th 2003, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

It's been unusually wet lately in Brisbane which means it's warmer at night because of the humidity and cloud cover. Yesterday I found it hot outside in the garden, and I haven't had to have the heat on at night. I didn't shut the doors until about 10pm. The winter has been very mild this year so far, due to the unusual cloud cover I'm sure. I was just outside shovelling mulch for the garden and had to come inside for a cool drink. It's sunny and 23C right now at 2pm.