Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For those who live in Oz - I would like to know

For those who live in Oz - I would like to know

Old Jul 3rd 2003, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Default For those who live in Oz - I would like to know

What was your biggest culture shock ? I have got my mindset ready and almost ready to accept most things. But what has really been a big difference to you that you didn't expect. For example you expected it but hot but didn't contemplate it being so humid.

I would like to no the real shocks, I feel this will enable to set a even better realism.

All comments greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

good post carrieanne.

Please do not spoil this with sarcy comments, Genuine enquiries deserve genuine replies.

BooBoo
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 1:24 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: For those who live in Oz - I would like to know

Originally posted by Carrianne
What was your biggest culture shock ? I have got my mindset ready and almost ready to accept most things. But what has really been a big difference to you that you didn't expect. For example you expected it but hot but didn't contemplate it being so humid.

I would like to no the real shocks, I feel this will enable to set a even better realism.

This is reverse, but I spent a time working in Oxfordshire and there were no major shocks for me going from Brisbane to Abington. The one thing I knew for certain was that I was going to live and work in Abington not Brisbane. What are your expectations?
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 1:37 pm
Badge

When I arrived for my first year I found there were no culture shocks as the culture (everything) was "me" anyhow... in fact it was a shock to realise that I'd been living in the "wrong" country hitherto all my life. By the end of my first few days this was so obvious.

first impressions : i certainly noticed the quality of light and the newer/one storey buildings which is good as streets look less crowded...

badgers

Last edited by badgersmount; Jul 3rd 2003 at 1:41 pm.

Old Jul 3rd 2003, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Thank guys,

I have no expectations, that's me I have my mindset that I will need to work hard at making friends, work life, social life and to attain a certian standard of living, I know I will miss factual TV such as Extreme weather etc. Also knowing what brands are good to but whether it be food to clothes. Just missing the things that to me are normal.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 8:15 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point

Football, pubs, easy of foreign travel, snow, family, historical places, tv programs, british sense of humour, the pound, british media (love-hate relationship), different seasons, getting magazines on time...

Overall though I liked Australia. If I was forced to move back, I suppose I could live with it!!
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Fatso is an unknown quantity at this point

My biggest culture shock was that Oz has as bad a time with burglary as the UK.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

Thank guys,

I have no expectations, that's me I have my mindset that I will need to work hard at making friends, work life, social life and to attain a certian standard of living, I know I will miss factual TV such as Extreme weather etc. Also knowing what brands are good to but whether it be food to clothes. Just missing the things that to me are normal.
They've got plenty of 2nd rate discovery channel type docos like Extreme Weather on the telly here. What they haven't got (apart from bought in stuff) is the good TV dramas and comedies. Have you seen Comedy Inc? Jesus, that is really crap.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by badgersmount
When I arrived for my first year I found there were no culture shocks as the culture (everything) was "me" anyhow... in fact it was a shock to realise that I'd been living in the "wrong" country hitherto all my life. By the end of my first few days this was so obvious.

first impressions : i certainly noticed the quality of light and the newer/one storey buildings which is good as streets look less crowded...

badgers
You sound like one of those Ive been living in the wrong body people mate. HAve you ever been to australia or is this all coming out of your school atlas? The locals will be nasty to you if you start with the bright eyes attitude - take care mate, I fear you will need to be careful.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Fatso
You sound like one of those Ive been living in the wrong body people mate. HAve you ever been to australia or is this all coming out of your school atlas? The locals will be nasty to you if you start with the bright eyes attitude - take care mate, I fear you will need to be careful.
Oh dear, we seem to have another one to put on the ignore list. 6 Posts. Bye Bye Fatso
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by whisky
Oh dear, we seem to have another one to put on the ignore list. 6 Posts. Bye Bye Fatso
Bye bye Whisky.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 10:32 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

I notice you say you are a part time bludger fatso. Does that mean you are also a part time worker, out of interest?
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by chippy
I notice you say you are a part time bludger fatso. Does that mean you are also a part time worker, out of interest?
I am a part-time pom eater.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 10:56 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

These may seem trivial, and they are, but after doing huge amounts of research to 'be prepared' I didn't realise that even in the summer it is dark by around 7:30. Now, after long late UK summer evenings I foolishly thought the same would apply with barbies until 10 in the evening, not having the curtains shut at 7pm. Also whilst knowing the winter night temperatures and lack of central heating it didn't sink in that this meant I would need to run electric heaters, wear jumpers in the house and use a thick quilt. Guess I also didn't appreciate just how much it can rain in the summer, now you don't mind humidity when it's sunny, but when its grey, overcast and still 30C and your towels don't dry out overnight, that was a bit depressing.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 11:07 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by jayr
These may seem trivial, and they are, but after doing huge amounts of research to 'be prepared' I didn't realise that even in the summer it is dark by around 7:30. Now, after long late UK summer evenings I foolishly thought the same would apply with barbies until 10 in the evening, not having the curtains shut at 7pm. Also whilst knowing the winter night temperatures and lack of central heating it didn't sink in that this meant I would need to run electric heaters, wear jumpers in the house and use a thick quilt. Guess I also didn't appreciate just how much it can rain in the summer, now you don't mind humidity when it's sunny, but when its grey, overcast and still 30C and your towels don't dry out overnight, that was a bit depressing.
Jayr,

What times the earliest it gets dark in brissie? Up north in qld it does'nt change much year round...nearly always about 6:30 to 7.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.