Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To those who have shipped goods...

To those who have shipped goods...

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 1:49 pm
Perth Bound

Avery Family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To those who have shipped goods...

....is the additional charge for insurance, either for loss or damage really worth it ?

I have read recently that some people have had trouble with missing cases, but on the whole reports seem to be quite good.

But of those of you who have made the trip, how many have actually ended up with goods lost or damaged.

Any info would be appreciated.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of
Default Re: To those who have shipped goods...

Originally posted by Avery Family

But of those of you who have made the trip, how many have actually ended up with goods lost or damaged.

Any info would be appreciated.
... and if you have lost valuables, how were the insurance companies at paying up?
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I believe in insurance since a tree fell through our roof in Jan 2000.
It seems expensive for shipping, i've just worked it out for our stuff. Can you afford to live without it? Ships do sink.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

I saw on another thread that the world's navies use containers that have fallen overboard as target practice.

I'm glad you were sorted out for the tree falling through your house. Did they give you a discount for using your story in an advert in future??
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 6:26 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Pickfords told me they have never had a ship sink yet!
Seriously, I have moved my goods to Aus 3 times previously. I never insure the whole shipment, just the items that are expensive to replace (not linen etc). Only had one claim, my hubbys toolbox was dented one time, we rang them and they paid without viewing it.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 6:44 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Seriously, I have moved my goods to Aus 3 times previously. I never insure the whole shipment, just the items that are expensive to replace (not linen etc). Only had one claim, my hubbys toolbox was dented one time, we rang them and they paid without viewing it.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 6:46 pm
Wishing on a star...

God knows what happened there. Its like an echo :scared:
Old Jan 4th 2004, 9:00 am
Perth Bound

Avery Family is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cherry6

...do you know if the insurance is a "new for old" type of policy, or do they take the age of the item into consideration??
Old Jan 4th 2004, 9:10 am
owieb

We insured all our stuff and it cost us about £1,100 to so, but we had around £50K worth of items, a lot of which could not be replaced.

We did have to make a claim on some items, it was a bit of a drawn out process, lots of messing around with the insurance company, but they paid in the end which was about £600.

It all comes down to personal choice and whether you can afford to lose all your items. It might only be a very small chance that something could happen, but if it does happen to you can you afford to replace everything?

Old Jan 4th 2004, 12:13 pm
Wishing on a star...

Originally posted by Avery Family
...do you know if the insurance is a "new for old" type of policy, or do they take the age of the item into consideration??
New for old (thats what Pickfords told me). Regarding electrical items, you can pay an extra insurance for those, to cover mechanical/electrical derangement. This is if it stops working due to the conditions like temperature etc, as opposed to being dropped. I only did this with my pc as it is new, I didnt want it turning up in a pristine box but not working due to humidity inside the carton. You also pay a tax on the insurance, something which I think has come in in the last few years as I dont remember paying it previously.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Hi all.
When you worked out the replacement costs for all your belongings, where did you get the prices from? the UK and then just multiplied by the Aus$-£ rate or did you look at Aussie websites. I'm worried that i will be under valuing important items and then having probs with the insurance company should i have to claim. There is this bit about if you undervalue, then a average is taken. All very confusing and worrying?!!!
regards
Nick
Old Jan 4th 2004, 8:15 pm
Wishing on a star...

Hi, I looked at aussie websites. I dont think there are massive price differences to be honest. Its all silly really, when you think its dependant on where you shop as well. I mean, look at the price difference in the UK between buying say at comet, or some exclusive electrical store. An average is taken, but they are more concerned with massive undervaluing, say insuring a £1,000 pc for £500, rather than the odd few pounds here and there.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: To those who have shipped goods...

<off topic>Are you shipping the cars you talked about or selling them?<off topic>