Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For Those Thinking Of Going Back

For Those Thinking Of Going Back

Old Jul 29th 2003, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

lynn kennedy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default For Those Thinking Of Going Back

there has been a lot of critisism lately of Oz and lots of posts by people returning or thinking of returning to the UK. I have been here just over a year and at present am very happy here, hubby & I were both very lucky to get jobs quickly kids setled into school made friend etc... we have met lots of brits here with different opinions some good some unsure. One couple we met last year have been here 2 1/2 years and although they like it here still felt unsettled. They have just returned from a visit to the UK and spent the last few months going on about it. The visit was to decide whether to go back or not. All the reasons to go back family, friends, familiarity etcc were there but after just a week they realised why they had left in the first place, grey skies (even in the summer) miserable faces everywhere, areas getting taken over by refugees (i know we have them here too but it is a lot bigger place to fill). it has made them realise that OZ is a very good place to live.

We have met another couple who came 6 years ago, left after 10 months cos they could not settle but after going back realised they should have gave it longer and had made a huge mistake. Unfortunately as they hadn't got there citizenship it took over a year to get back in again.

I know everyone is different and some will go back and never want to leave the uk again, this is just to say think before you go back before your 2 years are up, if possible go back and visit to see what you think that way you will have a better idea of how things have changed back there, friends have moved on etc.. if you hav kids at least they get citizenship and have a choice later in life(cos they don't at the moment we just take them and hope they will settle)

don't want to waffle but to all those not frightened off by the posts here lately it is a great place to live, by no means perfect (wages, tax etcc) but you have to give it a go, the pros outway the cons.

lynn
Old Jul 29th 2003, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I think if I'd have found this site before comming here I here I would have had second or even third thoughts, I didn't and I've now been out here for 10 years with not even a visit back to the UK.

For me the pros def outweigh the cons and I've a life I couldn't even imagine in the UK.

You know the saying he who hesitates is lost so don't let all the negative posts put you off, balance them with the positive posts from as many different posters as you can find.
Old Jul 29th 2003, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: For Those Thinking Of Going Back

Originally posted by lynn kennedy
there has been a lot of critisism lately of Oz and lots of posts by people returning or thinking of returning to the UK. I have been here just over a year and at present am very happy here, hubby & I were both very lucky to get jobs quickly kids setled into school made friend etc... we have met lots of brits here with different opinions some good some unsure. One couple we met last year have been here 2 1/2 years and although they like it here still felt unsettled. They have just returned from a visit to the UK and spent the last few months going on about it. The visit was to decide whether to go back or not. All the reasons to go back family, friends, familiarity etcc were there but after just a week they realised why they had left in the first place, grey skies (even in the summer) miserable faces everywhere, areas getting taken over by refugees (i know we have them here too but it is a lot bigger place to fill). it has made them realise that OZ is a very good place to live.

We have met another couple who came 6 years ago, left after 10 months cos they could not settle but after going back realised they should have gave it longer and had made a huge mistake. Unfortunately as they hadn't got there citizenship it took over a year to get back in again.

I know everyone is different and some will go back and never want to leave the uk again, this is just to say think before you go back before your 2 years are up, if possible go back and visit to see what you think that way you will have a better idea of how things have changed back there, friends have moved on etc.. if you hav kids at least they get citizenship and have a choice later in life(cos they don't at the moment we just take them and hope they will settle)

don't want to waffle but to all those not frightened off by the posts here lately it is a great place to live, by no means perfect (wages, tax etcc) but you have to give it a go, the pros outway the cons.

lynn

Great post. Few more like this and things will be looking up again.

Wilf

Wilf's Motions Ltd.
"Shipping Poms to Paradise for Generations"
(whether they wanted to go or not)
WWW.WilfsPensionFund.com for a free quote
Old Jul 29th 2003, 6:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Good one Lynn, thanks for the encouragement. Good to hear from people who are happy there!
Old Jul 29th 2003, 6:31 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Have been here for nearly eight months now and still find it very agreeable. Much of what is said on the 'negative' side should be read and taken on board. In my early months I had many doubts and frustrations - some of which continue. However, gone through all the upheaval of the move and the difficulty settling in I would say I am pretty happy here. It is still early days and the passage of time will no doubt bring out more uncertainty. As it stands right now I wouldn't want to go back, and I think the UK is a great place to live. I tend to look at things with a two-year time horizon and expect to stay here for the next two years - beyond that who knows, at least there will have been a bit of adventure. Nothing against the UK but I think if I left here I would look to try out another country, having done so once already. Also going through two years of PR and gaining citizenship keeps the options open for yourself and kids for the future.
Old Jul 29th 2003, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by jayr
Have been here for nearly eight months now and still find it very agreeable. Much of what is said on the 'negative' side should be read and taken on board. In my early months I had many doubts and frustrations - some of which continue. However, gone through all the upheaval of the move and the difficulty settling in I would say I am pretty happy here. It is still early days and the passage of time will no doubt bring out more uncertainty. As it stands right now I wouldn't want to go back, and I think the UK is a great place to live. I tend to look at things with a two-year time horizon and expect to stay here for the next two years - beyond that who knows, at least there will have been a bit of adventure. Nothing against the UK but I think if I left here I would look to try out another country, having done so once already. Also going through two years of PR and gaining citizenship keeps the options open for yourself and kids for the future.
Have you got a job you are happy with jayr? I only ask because I think it makes a lot of difference if other things are less certain.
Old Jul 29th 2003, 6:44 am
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jayr
Also going through two years of PR and gaining citizenship keeps the options open for yourself and kids for the future.
The opportunity to do this will not be here for long, each year Australia will tighten up on its immigration policy. We know it will be difficult to settle, but we are determined to get through the first 2 years and become citizens, giving our family options that will not be there in years to come.

Slater
Old Jul 29th 2003, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

cityboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Positive/Negative

I do appreciate that life is not a bed of rosses out there, but after reading this forum over the last few months me & the family where definately having second thoughts about emigrating. Your post has given us a lift again & some direction, so come on all you happy Brit/aussies get posting some info so as to out balance the two negative women in this forum PB & Wilf.:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Jul 29th 2003, 6:50 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Wilf
Have you got a job you are happy with jayr? I only ask because I think it makes a lot of difference if other things are less certain.

I am full time employed by a professional services firm, I am not however always busy. When I am busy I am at my happiest, when not I get a bit miserable and see the bad things about living in Oz more clearly. My posts to this site vary accordingly. Overall I am happy at the moment (despite earlier annoyances this afternoon) yet continue to recognise the limitations of Oz as others post on here, just at the moment I find I can live with them and that the other benefits (nice climate, nice house - the usual crap) help make up for the lower income etc. (I am fortunate to be in a very high salary band compared to most in Oz but stilll less buying power and potential than in the UK). When p****d off the nice climate etc. makes up for nothing, i suspect it is all explaiend by Maslow's hierarchy of needs - hygiene factors and all that.
Old Jul 29th 2003, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: For Those Thinking Of Going Back

Originally posted by lynn kennedy
you hav kids at least they get citizenship and have a choice later in life(cos they don't at the moment we just take them and hope they will settle)

lynn

I am GENUINELY glad you like it here Lynn. (As many thousands of people will).

However, the chance to give my children citizenship of Australia was the last thing on my mind when we decided to return. If they want to come here in later years, good for them - it will be their choice, and they can apply like we did!

Funnily enough, one of the biggest reasons for us moving back to the UK was the fact that Australia does not offer our children the future that living in Europe does...
Old Jul 29th 2003, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Every country that takes immigrants is going to have arrivals who love their new home and arrivals that return home or move on again.

Problem is on the OZ forum some folk have build their hopes of OZ as such a fantastic place that realistic posts are deemed as wrong or nasty.

Probably not a problem with USA immigrants for example, most people have been to the USA they know its good and bad bits. Problem arises with OZ as its so far away some have pretty unrealistic expectations of it. Sticking such picture perfect notions in the middle of a bunch of people who live in OZ is bound to cause a bun fight.

Why anybody reading a forum on any country would only expect positive posts is beyond me. No such place exists.
Old Jul 29th 2003, 6:57 am
Karma Comedian

Default Re: Positive/Negative

Originally posted by cityboy
I do appreciate that life is not a bed of rosses out there, but after reading this forum over the last few months me & the family where definately having second thoughts about emigrating. Your post has given us a lift again & some direction, so come on all you happy Brit/aussies get posting some info so as to out balance the two negative women in this forum PB & Wilf.:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Your second thoughts are worth having in that you will be better prepared on arrival. I expected it to be hard all along, and when it was, although it was a difficult time, at least I wasn't under any (well not too many) illlusions. I think it is better to get through this stage as quickly as possible, you will be aided in doing so if you do not arrive with a dream which is quickly shattered. I would say on balance that you will get a reasonably good idea of Oz from this forum, what it takes to begin to settle in is strength, detemination and a little heartache, you will be reasonably well prepared in that at least you will have gone through a lot of this before you even get on the plane!
Old Jul 29th 2003, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cityboy
Are you saying that PB and Wilf are "two negative women"???
Old Jul 29th 2003, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Rosy
Are you saying that PB and Wilf are "two negative women"???
Cityboy is posting to thank a woman for her post and then using the word "women" as an insult. Ironic, no?
Old Jul 29th 2003, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

wilf and PB are a nessary evil nobody likes what they post but it gives a good reality check

and might make the move to Au less disruptive knowing the bad things about the country

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.