Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To those thinking of coming to Oz...

To those thinking of coming to Oz...

Old Sep 7th 2008, 5:50 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To those thinking of coming to Oz...

Originally Posted by Dave_Kent
To NKSK - I currently pay about £45 a month for ADSL and phone here in Kent - There are certainly cheaper options . . . but you get what you pay for!
I Pay £46 a month for Sky tv including movies, telephone all calls UK, certain international (inc Australia) for up to an hour, line rental and broadband. Is that cheap?

And never mind all this talk about coffee - where can I buy decent tea bags? All the tea in Australia I have tried so far, even the so called "english" brands, taste like dishwater. Someone please help or I fear I will be using my double luggage allowance on a years supply of PG Tips.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 1:56 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ponyrama
All the tea in Australia I have tried so far, even the so called "english" brands, taste like dishwater. Someone please help or I fear I will be using my double luggage allowance on a years supply of PG Tips.
It's not the Tea Bags, it's the water. Australian water is nothing like Cheshire water ! Have you had a cup of tea down in Kent? my grandad wouldn't drink it down there.

PG Tips 40's Pyramid tea bags $5.95 (£2.75) available in a british food store in Australia (normally an expensive option), how does the price compare ?

Old Sep 8th 2008, 1:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Dave_Kent
To NKSK - I currently pay about £45 a month for ADSL and phone here in Kent - There are certainly cheaper options . . . but you get what you pay for!
Not too much difference to my $90pm (about £42) for Internet + 2 phone lines and all calls (except mobiles).

You may get a higher speed and download limits than we do though. Mine is 1512k and 10gb (or 30Gb if used it before 9am)

Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It's not the Tea Bags, it's the water. Australian water is nothing like Cheshire water ! Have you had a cup of tea down in Kent? my grandad wouldn't drink it down there.

PG Tips 40's Pyramid tea bags $5.95 (£2.75) available in a british food store in Australia (normally an expensive option), how does the price compare ?
My mummy brought me a catering sized 1100 bag this year, should last me about 18 months.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

I Pay £46 a month for Sky tv including movies, telephone all calls UK, certain international (inc Australia) for up to an hour, line rental and broadband. Is that cheap?

And never mind all this talk about coffee - where can I buy decent tea bags? All the tea in Australia I have tried so far, even the so called "english" brands, taste like dishwater. Someone please help or I fear I will be using my double luggage allowance on a years supply of PG Tips.
I have to confess to that everytime someone came over, there was an order for PGtips for me. Have been here just over a year now,and after trying loads of different brands (incl most of the tetley/twinnings etc) either my tastebuds have adjusted or the tea itself is decent.. Tetley All Rounder
(actually strongest of their range- has more tea in each bag!!)
Enjoy the move.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 5:59 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

I'm a bit rubbish at looking at prices in supermarkets but I think its about £2.50 for 80 in Asda. But no matter cos if they are real PG Tips you can get two cups out of each bag anyway
Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:00 am
beach bum

Originally Posted by sa2uk2oz
I have to confess to that everytime someone came over, there was an order for PGtips for me. Have been here just over a year now,and after trying loads of different brands (incl most of the tetley/twinnings etc) either my tastebuds have adjusted or the tea itself is decent.. Tetley All Rounder
(actually strongest of their range- has more tea in each bag!!)
Enjoy the move.
There is life after Yorkshire Tea then? Cheers - I cant wait (despite my tea problem)!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

There is life after Yorkshire Tea then? Cheers - I cant wait (despite my tea problem)!
Bushells extra stong are quite good, and it is true you do adjust, the PG tips seemed very strong to me for a while unitl I re adjusted back.

Jo
Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

I struggled to find decent tea when I first moved here - I settled with Dilmah extra strong until I discovered that David Jones sells Yorkshire Tea (imported from the UK). It is a bit overpriced so I made sure I stocked up when I was in the UK earlier this year and I'll be asking the rellies to bring supplies when they come over at Christmas.

It still isn't quite the same because the water tastes different, so it helps if you filter the water - I have a Brita filter, but can't always be bothered to use it. In time I think you just adapt to how tea tastes here.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 7:01 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

There is life after Yorkshire Tea then?
No.

There is no life without Yorkshire Tea!

However, in dire emergencies I can get by on Lipton Intense.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

best4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

ABC Diamond - Those teabags are expensive!!! 40 bags of PG pyramid cost us 50p which is about $1.07 Have you tried Ringtons - dont know if you can get them out there but they are the best tea bags and coffee ever.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 8:32 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by best4ever
ABC Diamond - Those teabags are expensive!!! 40 bags of PG pyramid cost us 50p which is about $1.07 Have you tried Ringtons - dont know if you can get them out there but they are the best tea bags and coffee ever.
All the imported stuff from the speciality shops is expensive.

I drink local coffee, so I'm OK

Something else I noticed in the speciality British shops, was the Terrys Chocolate Orange for about $12, but you can get exactly the same one in Woolworths for a lot less. About $6 I think was my last one, from Kmart.

Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:40 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
No.

There is no life without Yorkshire Tea!

However, in dire emergencies I can get by on Lipton Intense.
Why does there have to be life after it - we can get Yorkshire tea (bags or leaf) here, no problem.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I find it's getting more expensive - but then wonder if I'm losing touch with comparisons.

Today - 3 coffees and 3 cakes - $30. Can somebody in England tell me if 14 quid is a lot for 3 coffees and 3 cakes?
I went to a local park cafe last week (we were meant to be going to the park but it rained when we got there) a normal size coffee, a normal piece of carrot cake, 2 ice creams, 2 juices cost £12. Bargain!!??????
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Boo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really nice

This is a great thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.