British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   For those looking at comming out (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/those-looking-comming-out-449902/)

moneypenny20 May 14th 2007 3:37 am

Re: For those looking at comming out

Can I start a book on how fast it will be before someone suggests the OP post this on the MBtoUK forum. Oh bugger I just did:rofl:

The Crow May 14th 2007 3:38 am

Thanks Hutch :) I get very frustrated when some posters assume that their part of Australia is the same as everyone elses.

We're 32kms out of the city and have lights on the roads (well, apart from the scary mountain ones), we have public transport and we have a great pub, with dart board, open fire and Old Speckled Hen (no pokies or TAB)!

I used to work for the Bristol Cultural Development Partnership, so perhaps my view on culture is wider than some - but, for me, Melbourne and surrounds are stacked with cultural activity.

4500 Times May 14th 2007 3:43 am

Originally Posted by rebabaros (Post 4776692)
Mate, you should learn to use the spellcheck button, it comes in handy ;)

I was gonna advice that as well, he says he's got a well paid job...obviously theres no paperwork involved then eh ??

dc1 May 14th 2007 3:47 am

What I was trying to say is have a proper look at where they are going what they want and think before you come out.
Oz has a lot going for it.
The biggest problem with this forum is that some of the negatives are never given credence. If you move out from one of the bigger cities in OZ you can be very isolated. Go north from Melbourne for over 2 hrs and apart from Bendigo or Echuca the towns have about 200 people with a small corner shop and nothing else. All the towns are about 1/2 hr from any other town. A Sunday drive would constitute driving for 2-3 hrs to get anywhere.
Other things to consider :-

Phone costs - higher cost
Internet - higher cost
Education cost - books, school fees (even non private)
Dental - high cost no NHS (even though it is hard to get in the UK)
Medical - 33% private
Road deaths are shocking I think it was 25 at xmas!
Weather - much better
Weather - much better
Weather - much better
I had to put something in that was good!

yanH May 14th 2007 4:01 am

Originally Posted by dc1 (Post 4776763)
The biggest problem with this forum is that some of the negatives are never given credence. If you move out from one of the bigger cities in OZ you can be very isolated. Go north from Melbourne for over 2 hrs and apart from Bendigo or Echuca the towns have about 200 people with a small corner shop and nothing else. All the towns are about 1/2 hr from any other town.

I don't really think that this is a negative about Oz as such. Its a negative for an individual if they choose to live somewhere like this and don't like the low population density. To others its a positive and they thrive on living in an area like this. You also can find that lower population areas can have a much greater community spirit than much more populated areas.

I think where it can become a problem is if people emigrate to these areas without understanding what it means to live in a fairly remote area in Australia.

Hutch May 14th 2007 4:02 am

What I was trying to say is have a proper look at where they are going what they want and think before you come out.

Totally.

The biggest problem with this forum is that some of the negatives are never given credence.

I disagree - but as I said, don't post opinion as fact.

If you move out from one of the bigger cities in OZ you can be very isolated. Go north from Melbourne for over 2 hrs and apart from Bendigo or Echuca the towns have about 200 people with a small corner shop and nothing else. All the towns are about 1/2 hr from any other town. A Sunday drive would constitute driving for 2-3 hrs to get anywhere.

Well sure, they're little rural towns. Why would you move to a rural area if you wanted big city buzz and a Stockland shopping centre on your doorstep?

Phone costs - higher cost - I pay much less, despite the fact that I work from home and regularly (like every day, for several hours) phone the UK and the states.
Internet - higher cost - not for me - used to pay about £50 a month in the UK, here I pay $90 for an 8Mb line.
Education cost - books, school fees (even non private) - yep - education costs - books, clothes etc...
Dental - high cost no NHS (even though it is hard to get in the UK) - had no problems with Medicare, hurts a bit paying for a GP appointment but I get most of it back...
Medical - 33% private
Road deaths are shocking I think it was 25 at xmas! - over 3000 people die every year on UK roads.
Weather - much better
Weather - much better
Weather - much better
I had to put something in that was good! - no, you didn't *have* to, if it's crap for you then it's crap.

:D

Fiona&malc May 14th 2007 4:06 am

. Go north from Melbourne for over 2 hrs and apart from Bendigo or Echuca the towns have about 200 people with a small corner shop and nothing else. All the towns are about 1/2 hr from any other town. !

Not True !!
i live in Mildura, population of Mildura alone is about 55,000, surround areas equal roughly 20,000, its a big place up here, and believe me there is more than a corner shop :rofl: dont create assumptions on places from what you hear from other people ;)

MartinLuther May 14th 2007 4:11 am

I'm intrigued by the open spaces thing. Down here we seem to have tonnes of the stuff (and a lot with nice boardwalks). Certainly my part of Australia provides me with more open public space than any of the places I lived in the UK.

:)

Irish Guinness May 14th 2007 4:16 am

Originally Posted by dc1 (Post 4776347)
I know I will get slated for this but for those who are thinking of coming out here I thought I would let you have some info:-

I think the biggest mis information is that people have rose coloured glasses.

I am in a very good job high paid. The things I would say to people are:-

Work is ok if you are high paid the cost of living comparatively to the UK is:-

Food - far more expensive
Travel - air travel - far more expensive
Travel - Car second hand far more expensive
Travel - new car cheeper
Travel - petrol - far cheeper, but have to travel further
Clothing - cheeper not as much choice lot of imported crap
Houses- cheeper, standard of build poor
Eating out - cheeper, but no good pubs
Cinema - same
People - friendly if they have to be (if they work for you or with you)

The things I miss - open space that you are allowed to go on. Most of the land in Oz is privately owned.
If you go outside of a city you will not have any lights on the road at night, there is no public transport outside of cities so if you have children you will have to run them everywere we spend about 15-20 hrs per week doing this.

Culture there is non, history museums are full of aboriginal crap once you have looked at one boomerang you have seen them all. The Oz culture revolves around drinking at home (cant walk to a pub outside the city) watching the football (Oz footbal), fishing in a muddy river if there is any water, working 50 hr / week for low pay staying inside in summer as it is to hot to go outside.

Derek

GREAT POST !!!!!!!!!!!! SPOT ON:thumbsup:

Hutch May 14th 2007 4:20 am

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 4776814)
I'm intrigued by the open spaces thing. Down here we seem to have tonnes of the stuff (and a lot with nice boardwalks). Certainly my part of Australia provides me with more open public space than any of the places I lived in the UK.

Yea, it's the whole right-to-roam thing though - pretty much any field or land in the UK you could almost always find a public footpath across it. That's down to the age of the UK of course and I can see why it's different here. Just a bit of a shame when you can't, for instance, walk along the coast here because it's privately owned. That said there's some enormous public parks and rain-forests around that you can walk on. :)

MartinLuther May 14th 2007 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 4776835)
Yea, it's the whole right-to-roam thing though - pretty much any field or land in the UK you could almost always find a public footpath across it. That's down to the age of the UK of course and I can see why it's different here. Just a bit of a shame when you can't, for instance, walk along the coast here because it's privately owned. That said there's some enormous public parks and rain-forests around that you can walk on. :)

I guess this is less of a problem where I live (Mornington Peninsula). I can only think of a couple of small places where you can't walk along the coast due to private property (ex-bombing range excepted). This footpath is interesting as it goes through people's gardens. They try to make it look like you can't use it (i.e. there is a door at one end) but it's open to the public under the Queen's Chain rule.

Buzzy--Bee May 14th 2007 5:21 am

Originally Posted by dc1 (Post 4776347)
If you go outside of a city you will not have any lights on the road at night,

This is a positive, right?

One of the things I am looking forward to when we move back downunder (used to live in rural NZ) is being able to see lots of stars at night.

Buzzy

moneypenny20 May 14th 2007 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 4776955)

One of the things I am looking forward to when we move back downunder (used to live in rural NZ) is being able to see lots of stars at night.

Buzzy

Well I love lack of lighting. And as I remember areas where I lived in the UK the countryside roads didn't have lighting either but I guess views are relative to where you come from and what you're used to.

esperanza May 14th 2007 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 4776955)

Buzzy

Absolutely! I'm not even rural really, just on the edge of a suburb - but the stars at night are just amazing. Every night they are so bright and clear.
Besides, don't we all have headlights for driving on unlit roads at night?:confused:

yanH May 14th 2007 5:32 am

Yeah. I also love the lack of lighting. Back in the UK the streetlights in our old road were 'upgraded' by the council to meet EU standards. The result was the road was like Blackpool illuminations. If you didn't have blackout curtains then bedrooms on the front of the house never got properly dark. I'm sure years ago the street lights used to be turned off after a certain time but now they burn right through the night even though almost nobody is out. What a waste of energy:mad: