British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   For those looking at comming out (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/those-looking-comming-out-449902/)

dc1 May 13th 2007 11:48 pm

For those looking at comming out

I know I will get slated for this but for those who are thinking of coming out here I thought I would let you have some info:-

I think the biggest mis information is that people have rose coloured glasses.

I am in a very good job high paid. The things I would say to people are:-

Work is ok if you are high paid the cost of living comparatively to the UK is:-

Food - far more expensive
Travel - air travel - far more expensive
Travel - Car second hand far more expensive
Travel - new car cheeper
Travel - petrol - far cheeper, but have to travel further
Clothing - cheeper not as much choice lot of imported crap
Houses- cheeper, standard of build poor
Eating out - cheeper, but no good pubs
Cinema - same
People - friendly if they have to be (if they work for you or with you)

The things I miss - open space that you are allowed to go on. Most of the land in Oz is privately owned.
If you go outside of a city you will not have any lights on the road at night, there is no public transport outside of cities so if you have children you will have to run them everywere we spend about 15-20 hrs per week doing this.

Culture there is non, history museums are full of aboriginal crap once you have looked at one boomerang you have seen them all. The Oz culture revolves around drinking at home (cant walk to a pub outside the city) watching the football (Oz footbal), fishing in a muddy river if there is any water, working 50 hr / week for low pay staying inside in summer as it is to hot to go outside.

Derek

Hutch May 14th 2007 12:50 am

Re: For those looking at comming out

Originally Posted by dc1 (Post 4776347)
I know I will get slated for this but for those who are thinking of coming out here I thought I would let you have some info:-

Well, possibly, but that's because you've stated as fact a load of things that are down to a) where you live and b) your personal attitudes.

Food - far more expensive - swings and roundabouts - meat's a hell of a lot cheaper here, veggies depends on the season
Travel - air travel - far more expensive - than what, and flying to where - I can fly Sydney to Cairns (2500km) for $165 (£50) on Virgin Blue - don't think thats expensive.
Travel - Car second hand far more expensive - ermm, yes, but since they hold their value much better, nobody does any worse out of it.
Travel - new car cheeper - which new cars? Holdens yes, Range Rovers no.
Travel - petrol - far cheeper, but have to travel further - I don't have to travel further.
Clothing - cheeper not as much choice lot of imported crap - so I suppose that the racks of clothes in Marks and Spencers and Next don't have 'Made in China' printed on the label? It's all made in a mill in Bolton is it?
Houses- cheeper, standard of build poor - inner city ain't cheap and the standard of build is down to you - if you think a build's shit don't buy it.
Eating out - cheeper, but no good pubs - some bloody excellent ones round here.
Cinema - same
People - friendly if they have to be (if they work for you or with you) - I used to have to fight people off with a big stick in the UK - couldn't walk 20ft down the high street without having complete strangers rushing up to befriend me.

I see.

The things I miss - open space that you are allowed to go on. Most of the land in Oz is privately owned.

That's actually true - bugs me as well.

If you go outside of a city you will not have any lights on the road at night

Ermm, yea, I used to live in the Cotswolds, don't recall the A46 being floodlit either.

there is no public transport outside of cities so if you have children you will have to run them everywere we spend about 15-20 hrs per week doing this.

Excellent bus service here, plus mainline trains all the way up to Sydney. But yes, you have to ferry kids around to clubs and friends houses and stuff, how is that different to the UK?

Culture there is non, history museums are full of aboriginal crap once you have looked at one boomerang you have seen them all.

What did you want, morris dancing and stately homes? To be honest, you're a bit ****ed if you think 'culture' is museums.

The Oz culture revolves around drinking at home (cant walk to a pub outside the city)

I've got two excellent pubs within walking distance of me, plus the bar at the golf club (excellent) and the bowlo ... oh and three wineries with restaurants. Not bad for someone who lives in the arse end of nowhere.

watching the football (Oz footbal),

It's shit because it's Australian, but it's somehow great and fantastic and not wanky if it's British football? LMAO :rofl:.

fishing in a muddy river if there is any water

Well, if you insist on going fishing in dried up rivers then I think you should take up another hobby - or come down and fish in my little local river, the Shoalhaven. :D

staying inside in summer as it is to hot to go outside.

Hot? In Australia? You're having me on! I've just emigrated here with a suitcase full of Damart thermal underwear!!

:thumbsup:

esperanza May 14th 2007 1:01 am

Thanks Hutch, you saved me the effort of typing all that!

My only other comment is that people who make the decision to come out should be able to do so with the full support of their family and friends, without fearing that they will be judged by society. There's nothing wrong with coming out, it's not their fault, they don't choose to be the way they are, and how can anyone be truly happy living in the closet? ;)

yanH May 14th 2007 1:28 am

I'd agree with some of the OP's that a lot of this depends on where you live and what your expectations are. Also bear in mind that if you are looking for a carbon copy of the UK in the sun then you won't find it.

In terms of the open space that you can go onto huge parts on NSW are National Parks which are (in the main) freely accessible by all. It seems fairly similar to the UK where the majority of easily accessable open land belongs to either the NT or is part of a National Park.

I'll agree with you on the pubs however. Outside the inner city around here they are (in the main) souless places full of Pokey Machines and gambling windows. Its like having a beer in your local Ladbrokes:thumbdown:

Pollyana May 14th 2007 2:20 am

Culture there is non, history museums are full of aboriginal crap once you have looked at one boomerang you have seen them all.

I'd just like to pick you up on this one point (think Hutch has covered the rest!) -
Its actually their country, so don't you think its only right that their rich culture should be displayed for the rest of us to view?

esperanza May 14th 2007 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 4776609)
I'd just like to pick you up on this one point (think Hutch has covered the rest!) -
Its actually their country, so don't you think its only right that their rich culture should be displayed for the rest of us to view?

I think the OP is saying that compared to British Pub Culture aboriginal culture is boring and inferior? I could be wrong...

gedge May 14th 2007 2:26 am

Originally Posted by esperanza (Post 4776620)
I think the OP is saying that compared to British Pub Culture aboriginal culture is boring and inferior? I could be wrong...

let's hope so

Wendy May 14th 2007 2:40 am

Originally Posted by yanH (Post 4776514)
I'll agree with you on the pubs however. Outside the inner city around here they are (in the main) souless places full of Pokey Machines and gambling windows. Its like having a beer in your local Ladbrokes:thumbdown:

You can't drink in Ladbrokes :p

gedge May 14th 2007 2:41 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 4776640)

brown paper bag... they'll never know

Wendy May 14th 2007 2:42 am

Originally Posted by gedge (Post 4776642)
brown paper bag... they'll never know

The staff are hand picked from the finest drinkers, believe me they know ;) (I worked there :D)

tomy2tums May 14th 2007 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 4776645)
The staff are hand picked from the finest drinkers, believe me they know ;) (I worked there :D)

somebody got out of bed on the wrong side....

yanH May 14th 2007 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 4776640)

Shame as Ladbrokes would be a more welcoming place to have a beer than my local. Much more ambience and better decor:D

rebabaros May 14th 2007 3:11 am

I think the biggest mis information is that people have rose coloured glasses.

I am in a very good job high paid. The things I would say to people are:-

Work is ok if you are high paid the cost of living comparatively to the UK is:-

Food - far more expensive
Travel - air travel - far more expensive
Travel - Car second hand far more expensive
Travel - new car cheeper
Travel - petrol - far cheeper, but have to travel further
Clothing - cheeper not as much choice lot of imported crap
Houses- cheeper, standard of build poor
Eating out - cheeper, but no good pubs
Cinema - same
People - friendly if they have to be (if they work for you or with you)

If you go outside of a city you will not have any lights on the road at night, there is no public transport outside of cities so if you have children you will have to run them everywere we spend about 15-20 hrs per week doing this.

Culture there is non, history museums are full of aboriginal crap once you have looked at one boomerang you have seen them all. The Oz culture revolves around drinking at home (cant walk to a pub outside the city) watching the football (Oz footbal), fishing in a muddy river if there is any water, working 50 hr / week for low pay staying inside in summer as it is to hot to go outside.

Derek

Mate, you should learn to use the spellcheck button, it comes in handy ;)

gedge May 14th 2007 3:13 am

Originally Posted by rebabaros (Post 4776692)
Mate, you should learn to use the spellcheck button, it comes in handy ;)

is this the thread for those in the closet so to speak?

Wendy May 14th 2007 3:18 am

Originally Posted by tomy2tums (Post 4776656)
somebody got out of bed on the wrong side....

Not at all. I'm full of the joys of spring (even though it's autumn) :)