Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Those filling in a P85 - Leaving the Uk form....info from the tax man

Those filling in a P85 - Leaving the Uk form....info from the tax man

Old May 25th 2004, 2:11 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Those filling in a P85 - Leaving the Uk form....info from the tax man

I have just had a conversation with the tax man with regards to the P85 form - Leaving The UK.

They sent me the form and on it states that it can be sent either after or before you leave the UK. If it is before you put the intended date you expect to leave and if after then obviously the date you actually left. The advice from the tax man was to submit after you leave or on the date you leave. The form can be sent prior but they recommend you don't.

Also, if the form doesn't ask for any extra paperwork to be sent. However, if you are looking to maybe get some form of rebate back for the tax you have already paid in the UK for this tax year then you have to submit your P45. That would pose a problem for people as they may need that when they get to Oz for their new employer (not saying they definitely will but they may). I would have sent my complete P45 which would have caused a problem.

Instead, all the tax man needs is parts 2+3 of your P45. Part 1A you detach and keep with you. I didn't know this but having had clarification from the IR I thought it may well be worth sharing with people. Take Part 1A with you to Oz for your new employer (should they ask or want it) and only send parts 2+3 along with your P85.

Just thought some people may find it useful.
Old May 25th 2004, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Those filling in a P85 - Leaving the Uk form....info from the tax man

Originally posted by ianj
I have just had a conversation with the tax man with regards to the P85 form - Leaving The UK.

They sent me the form and on it states that it can be sent either after or before you leave the UK. If it is before you put the intended date you expect to leave and if after then obviously the date you actually left. The advice from the tax man was to submit after you leave or on the date you leave. The form can be sent prior but they recommend you don't.

Also, if the form doesn't ask for any extra paperwork to be sent. However, if you are looking to maybe get some form of rebate back for the tax you have already paid in the UK for this tax year then you have to submit your P45. That would pose a problem for people as they may need that when they get to Oz for their new employer (not saying they definitely will but they may). I would have sent my complete P45 which would have caused a problem.

Instead, all the tax man needs is parts 2+3 of your P45. Part 1A you detach and keep with you. I didn't know this but having had clarification from the IR I thought it may well be worth sharing with people. Take Part 1A with you to Oz for your new employer (should they ask or want it) and only send parts 2+3 along with your P85.

Just thought some people may find it useful.

Fair points - but Part 1 should have been sent to IR by your employer when you leave - are they saying that they also need Parts 2 & 3? Maybe different departments who don't talk to each other.

Also, can't think what an Aus employer would want with a P45 from the UK, apart from if he asked you to prove your leaving salary.
Old May 25th 2004, 4:57 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

Not being a tax expert I do not know. Doesn't the australian taxman ask you how much you have earned in the UK for that tax year.......do they not take your UK earnings into account when they work out your tax bracket come the time for your tax return.

I thought they did but again could be misinformed.

I am going by what IR said today. They said that i would send parts 2+3 to them but keep 1A. Nothing about part 1 but just 1A. maybe part 1 is what the employer sends. I'm in IT.....not finance (thankfully) and so will just relay what IR said.

E&OE