Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For those that are'nt taking much....

For those that are'nt taking much....

Old Oct 20th 2003, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by welshboybilly
a fridge is not worth taking because of the heat, the poor thing cannot keep cold and kills itself trying.

i agree with the wardrobe thing, it seems all ozzy houses come with built in's.
My advice would be to take the fridge, our old one now has a new home in the garage and is now the beer and wine fridge, whilst the stainless steel monster fridge sits pretty in the Kitchen.
Sue
Old Oct 20th 2003, 1:54 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Not planning on taking anything other than my mini-library of books (may need them down the line), photo albums, CDs, clothes and linen (doonas included - we'll vacuum pack them to tiny proportions). No electrical goods or furniture, mainly because we live in a furnished flat here and those items that we have bought were second hand anyway, so it doesn't seem worth the effort.

Intending to rent initally out there and buy the things we need from Cash Converters, secondhand shops, etc...then start collecting 'decent' stuff as we go/can afford it.

I laugh in the face of material possessions
Old Oct 20th 2003, 1:59 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by bundy
Not planning on taking anything other than my mini-library of books (may need them down the line), photo albums, CDs, clothes and linen (doonas included - we'll vacuum pack them to tiny proportions). No electrical goods or furniture, mainly because we live in a furnished flat here and those items that we have bought were second hand anyway, so it doesn't seem worth the effort.

Intending to rent initally out there and buy the things we need from Cash Converters, secondhand shops, etc...then start collecting 'decent' stuff as we go/can afford it.

I laugh in the face of material possessions
The thing i am worried about is my books and National Geographics. I have every one since 1982, and they weigh ALOT!!!! I also have enough books to build a house with..... They are going to be living here until we get set up, then my uncle (who ships stuff..) is going to crate them up. I would be a tad pissed off if they were to get lost/damaged (the books, not the nat geos).
Old Oct 20th 2003, 2:03 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
The thing i am worried about is my books and National Geographics. I have every one since 1982, and they weigh ALOT!!!! I also have enough books to build a house with..... They are going to be living here until we get set up, then my uncle (who ships stuff..) is going to crate them up. I would be a tad pissed off if they were to get lost/damaged (the books, not the nat geos).
I worry about my books too, which is quite sad when I come to think about it...worried they'll get wrecked in transit. I'll be making a list of the entire mini-library just in case...wonder if you can get damp/water proof packing cases?
Old Oct 20th 2003, 2:12 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I worry about my books too, which is quite sad when I come to think about it...worried they'll get wrecked in transit. I'll be making a list of the entire mini-library just in case...wonder if you can get damp/water proof packing cases?
If you are shipping in teachests your shipping company SHOULD wrap them in like a brown waxed paper that keeps moisture out. Ask them to be sure.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 2:37 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by PeteY
If you are shipping in teachests your shipping company SHOULD wrap them in like a brown waxed paper that keeps moisture out. Ask them to be sure.
That's a good idea. Nothing worse than a damp book
Old Oct 20th 2003, 2:40 am
WBB

That's a good idea. Nothing worse than a damp book

yes i know the feeling, i have quite a few books with all the pages sticking together.

Old Oct 20th 2003, 2:57 am
She's a bird, you know

yes i know the feeling, i have quite a few books with all the pages sticking together.

Hope that's not a lewd comment, WBB....
Old Oct 20th 2003, 3:02 am
WBB

Hope that's not a lewd comment, WBB....

absolutely not, you have got a dirty mind.

Old Oct 20th 2003, 3:15 am
She's a bird, you know

absolutely not, you have got a dirty mind.

I know. I can't help it. I live with an Australian
Old Oct 20th 2003, 3:29 am
Just Joined

Langer is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to see I'm not the only one making my mind up on this one.

Try www.supacenta.com.au for info on new prices. This is a super store ( as the name suggests !) in Moore Park and the web site has links to most of the stores there with full details of their prices.

for secondhand stuff try www.tradingpost.com.au ( new edition every Thursday I think ).

Cheers.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 3:42 am
Badge

Anyone notice how (surprisingly) good the 2nd hand book stores are in Straya?

Pete, in the the event of spoilure, you can buy reams of National Geographic from many of them.

Badger's New Year Resolution Idea - to also accumulate the entire Nat Geo (well since '82) none other than its a good read. I used to keep mine in the dunny on the window ledge/shelf so visitors can read on their visits..

Pete - can you list the ones with Australian features. I have the one from Jan 91 - about WA. I posted it here a few months ago.

It's a good idea to itemize all books, have kept receipts. I'll be doing the same as all I am taking is all my framed photos/certs/wall charts for my "ego wall" in my new study, my mini library and CDs and negatives plus sentimental crap.

badge

Old Oct 20th 2003, 4:23 am
A Male Member

Originally posted by badgersmount
Anyone notice how (surprisingly) good the 2nd hand book stores are in Straya?

Pete, in the the event of spoilure, you can buy reams of National Geographic from many of them.

Badger's New Year Resolution Idea - to also accumulate the entire Nat Geo (well since '82) none other than its a good read. I used to keep mine in the dunny on the window ledge/shelf so visitors can read on their visits..

Pete - can you list the ones with Australian features. I have the one from Jan 91 - about WA. I posted it here a few months ago.

It's a good idea to itemize all books, have kept receipts. I'll be doing the same as all I am taking is all my framed photos/certs/wall charts for my "ego wall" in my new study, my mini library and CDs and negatives plus sentimental crap.

badge
Took me a while mate, but here they are

I could only do 94 to 99, with the exception of one issue from 84, as the rest are packed ready to go.

They are :

jan 84 - Underwater Caves of SE SA. I've been down a couple of em

Apr 95 - Koalas

Jun 96 - Cape York - My fave Nat Geo article about aus

Jan 97 - Tazzy

Feb 98 - Aus in general

Apr 98 - As above (cont...)

I am sure there are loads more in earlier years....

Pete.

PS....you have inspired a new thread
Old Oct 21st 2003, 6:31 am
Seriously Senior Member

Blim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Larissa
Don't worry welshbillyboy- he's just a bit of a nutter and hasn't worked out that you need to put smileys after you've written something mildly sarcy so that people don't take you seriously!
Larissa
PS I speak from experience - he's the hubby! Agghhhhhhhhhhh:scared:

ar right

Old Oct 21st 2003, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

National Geographic-I thought it was only read by patients in Doctor's surgeries

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.