Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For those that are'nt taking much....

For those that are'nt taking much....

Old Oct 18th 2003, 8:38 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default For those that are'nt taking much....

Just wondering what you intend to do about furniture?!?

We won't have much cash to spend initially on furnishings etc, so have been looking at the various budget methods.

We are taking nothing but kitchen appliances (and only those that cost a fair bit).

Options i have looked at and we have to consider include:

Renting a houseful.
Buying cheap and new.
Buying secondhand/cheap new.

Just wondering what you all intend to do? Is renting a good way to start off? I have always had the feeling that renting is wasting money really, however i have always also felt buying really cheap is a waste in the long run too. Can't afford to spend much though (yet) so we'll wait and see what happens i guess.
Old Oct 18th 2003, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Try this site for the costs of renting furniture www.pabs.com.au

And for cheap packages of furniture to buy try this one.
www.fantasticfurniture.com.au
Old Oct 18th 2003, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by tinaj
Try this site for the costs of renting furniture www.pabs.com.au

And for cheap packages of furniture to buy try this one.
www.fantasticfurniture.com.au
The fantasticfurniture link looks too good to be true...just looked at it and the prices look superb...just a shame they've not reached Adelaide...still who knows, by this time next year???? Great links though, thanks
Old Oct 18th 2003, 10:24 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah shame they are not in Perth either.

does anyone know of similar in Perth, cos i was thinking of buying a new leather settee and taking it with us, but if i can find something decent and cheap may wait.

Tracey
Old Oct 18th 2003, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Leather sofas appear to be far cheaper in Oz... i have been looking at online sites for a while...i really wouldnt buy in UK and take it...

A lot of furniture seems much cheaper than UK.
Old Oct 19th 2003, 1:50 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: For those that are'nt taking much....

Originally posted by PeteY
Just wondering what you intend to do about furniture?!?

We won't have much cash to spend initially on furnishings etc, so have been looking at the various budget methods.

We are taking nothing but kitchen appliances (and only those that cost a fair bit).

Options i have looked at and we have to consider include:

Renting a houseful.
Buying cheap and new.
Buying secondhand/cheap new.

Just wondering what you all intend to do? Is renting a good way to start off? I have always had the feeling that renting is wasting money really, however i have always also felt buying really cheap is a waste in the long run too. Can't afford to spend much though (yet) so we'll wait and see what happens i guess.
You can rent fully furnished, but in the end you are paying to rent the furniture too. There are plenty of cash convertors and charity furniture stores with some good stuff.

We bought cheap, but if the furniture is basically sound but a bit shabby, you can always repaint it later and smarten it up a bit.

Also don't forget the trimmings - our hideous sofa (which came with the flat) is now covered with a huge cotton throw and a couple of cushions and looks quite posh. (Throw $30, cushions $2 each).

Add some tie-on cushions and a table cloth/place settings and a white garden set does fine as a dining table. It can go out in your garden when you get that dream home!

There seems to be something for every budget and taste, but if you want to do it on the cheap, you'll need to scout around a bit.

Had to laugh the other day. We've met a couple from over East who are just setting up over here and on a budget. They saw a washing machine dumped by some bins and took it home. It works fine! Thought that we might drive around some of the posh areas on bin day and see what we can find!
Old Oct 19th 2003, 2:04 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pookin
You can rent fully furnished, but in the end you are paying to rent the furniture too. There are plenty of cash convertors and charity furniture stores with some good stuff.

We bought cheap, but if the furniture is basically sound but a bit shabby, you can always repaint it later and smarten it up a bit.

Also don't forget the trimmings - our hideous sofa (which came with the flat) is now covered with a huge cotton throw and a couple of cushions and looks quite posh. (Throw $30, cushions $2 each).

Add some tie-on cushions and a table cloth/place settings and a white garden set does fine as a dining table. It can go out in your garden when you get that dream home!

There seems to be something for every budget and taste, but if you want to do it on the cheap, you'll need to scout around a bit.

Had to laugh the other day. We've met a couple from over East who are just setting up over here and on a budget. They saw a washing machine dumped by some bins and took it home. It works fine! Thought that we might drive around some of the posh areas on bin day and see what we can find!

Pookin,

You should start a makeover thread with all your good ideas
we are renting furnidhed at the moment but we have seen loads of items put out for rubbish such as washing manchine three seater settee (which looked ok) and tables, ,surfboard, I was thinking about starting up my own store from the stuff.
Old Oct 19th 2003, 4:25 am
WBB

we are in the same position pete and not sure how to play it.

there are 3 catergorys.

things we will take, things we wont and things we cant decide if we want to take or not.

what makes it more difficult is not knowing the pricing and availability of these items in oz.

we are on our third fact finding mission shorlty and this will be a priority.

Old Oct 19th 2003, 6:22 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

one thing that doesnt seem worth taking is wardrobes....

Ive just come back from fact finding mission and spent alot of time looking around houses...a vast majority have them built in and the new houses all seem to have walk-ins. Shame cos Ive not long since bought a really nice big pine thing here and guess its something Im going to have to flog off before we go.

Electrical stuff new Washing machines and kitchen stuff seems dear to my way off thinking if bought new...but I have been told you might have trouble getting that sort of stuff to run properly because of the voltage difference so TV video fridge ect is all also going to be left behind...:

Old Oct 19th 2003, 6:28 am
WBB

Originally posted by peppi
one thing that doesnt seem worth taking is wardrobes....

Ive just come back from fact finding mission and spent alot of time looking around houses...a vast majority have them built in and the new houses all seem to have walk-ins. Shame cos Ive not long since bought a really nice big pine thing here and guess its something Im going to have to flog off before we go.

Electrical stuff new Washing machines and kitchen stuff seems dear to my way off thinking if bought new...but I have been told you might have trouble getting that sort of stuff to run properly because of the voltage difference so TV video fridge ect is all also going to be left behind...:

a fridge is not worth taking because of the heat, the poor thing cannot keep cold and kills itself trying.

i agree with the wardrobe thing, it seems all ozzy houses come with built in's.

Old Oct 19th 2003, 6:39 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Pookin,

we are renting furnidhed at the moment but we have seen loads of items put out for rubbish such as washing manchine three seater settee (which looked ok) and tables, ,surfboard, I was thinking about starting up my own store from the stuff.
When I lived in Sydney, I bought a van and did the rounds of areas on the chuck out. Used to fill my van with other peoples left overs or unwanted items. Then at the weekends would go to the local car boots and markets and open the van doors and throw it all out. Belive it ot not I used to make a lot of money from this and it was all in the pocket.
The saying one mans shite is another mans gold is very true. I use dot have boxes of old hand tools and the people who would rummage through and buy was untrue.
Old Oct 19th 2003, 6:39 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Pookin,

When I lived in Sydney, I bought a van and did the rounds of areas on the chuck out. Used to fill my van with other peoples left overs or unwanted items. Then at the weekends would go to the local car boots and markets and open the van doors and throw it all out. Belive it ot not I used to make a lot of money from this and it was all in the pocket.
The saying one mans shite is another mans gold is very true. I use dot have boxes of old hand tools and the people who would rummage through and buy was untrue.
Old Oct 19th 2003, 9:18 am
Seriously Senior Member

Blim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by welshboybilly
we are in the same position pete and not sure how to play it.

there are 3 catergorys.

things we will take, things we wont and things we cant decide if we want to take or not.

what makes it more difficult is not knowing the pricing and availability of these items in oz.

we are on our third fact finding mission shorlty and this will be a priority.
there are 3 catergorys.

1. things we will take
2. things we wont
3. and things we cant decide if we want to take or not.

Very perceptive WBB. Your insight has really helped me. I shall always look to you for wisdom

Blim
Old Oct 19th 2003, 1:30 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Blim
there are 3 catergorys.

1. things we will take
2. things we wont
3. and things we cant decide if we want to take or not.

Very perceptive WBB. Your insight has really helped me. I shall always look to you for wisdom

Blim
have you got an inferiority complex?

Old Oct 20th 2003, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by welshboybilly
have you got an inferiority complex?

Don't worry welshbillyboy- he's just a bit of a nutter and hasn't worked out that you need to put smileys after you've written something mildly sarcy so that people don't take you seriously!
Larissa
PS I speak from experience - he's the hubby! Agghhhhhhhhhhh:scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.