Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

thornlands redland bay help

thornlands redland bay help

Old Apr 10th 2004, 12:08 pm
Redland Bay - 22/06/04

LaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud of
Question thornlands redland bay help

Hi there!
Have been lurking here for a few weeks and appreciate the help that certain threads have already given us. We are hoping to move to Redlands (Brisbane) area in the next 2 months PR as a Registered Nurse/Midwife (being fast tracked). Medicals requested and being done next week. House hopefully sold here.

We have 3 boys (11,9 and 6) and have a contact in Mount Cotton who we will stay with on arrival, however they have no kids. Have searched all schools and like the look of Thornlands State Primary - any comments welcomed?

The eldest boy will be year 7 and need to go to high school in Jan. Any info on local state high schools & also re transfering them ie when to apply etc.
The boys are all quite bright and seem to fit in easily (have moved within UK with no probs) eldest plays rugby union so any other 11/12 yr old rugby contacts in the area???

Is this an ok family friendly area? Is it still affordable or do you suggest moving further down the coast? I work within healthcare so area near to CBD not necessary.

My husband would like to know if there are any motorcyclists in the area who'd like to meet up, or where the meeting places are (just got rid of a Triumph Daytona 955).

Any comments greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 10th 2004, 12:35 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Thornlands is a semi-rural area. Lots of acreages, etc. So is Redland Bay to a lesser extent. Mt. Cotton is the vicinity as well. Redland Bay is probably the most built-up of the trio, the other two are definitely verging on rural.

The area is rather scenic, with the Venman Nature Reserve nearby. I used to be able to see Mt. Cotton from my parent's home in Woodridge when they lived there years ago.

Re: going to school. Shouldn't be an issue. If you kive in Redland Bay, there's probably schools there, as Thornlands is a fair drive from Redland Bay (IIRC).

Nice part of the world...making me homesick just thinking about it!
Old Apr 10th 2004, 12:38 pm
Redland Bay - 22/06/04

LaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud of

thanks ,
am thinking of renting in thornlands on arrival as seems quiet and affordable plus school website makes school look nice.
any views on the schools within the thornalnds catchment?
Old Apr 10th 2004, 12:41 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Not off the top of my head. I went to school in other parts of Brisbane. It was also a while ago (early 80's).
Old Apr 10th 2004, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Prestons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: thornlands redland bay help

Hi

All areas in the Redlands are good to bring up kids in my opinion. Ours have settled really well here (since December & aged 10&12). Thornlands is a good area but look around as well as they are all nice.

PM me for more info.

Regards
Dawn
Old Apr 10th 2004, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
Agree with Dawn, there are lots of nice areas and from what I can gather, the schools seem to be of a generally good standard. My daughter is at Wellington point state school and we're very happy with it.
There are a lot of us in the Redlands area, ask away!!!
Michaela

Edited to say: I'm also an RN, plenty of jobs here too, depending on what you're looking for, pm me if you want more info.

Last edited by ANA123; Apr 10th 2004 at 9:27 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2004, 11:24 pm
ABCDiamond

Looks like I am a bit late for this thread, everyone has beaten me to it

But i'll agree, its a nice area.

All the schools seem quite keen on sports, especially the OZ versions of Rugby !

My daughter is 7, we had one hiccup at our local school, but think that was down to just one teacher. (or my attitude to the teacher ) But she is totally happy now, although at a dfferent school Sheldon College.

This area is getting more and more popular, we need to take a head count soon of how many are in, or coming to the area

LaraandBryn, I know Gravesend well, I went to school there.

Old Apr 11th 2004, 8:49 am
Redland Bay - 22/06/04

what a small world.ABC diamond which school did you go to in gravesend???
if your late 30,s then perhaps our social circles may have touched!!!
really looking forward to moving .any musts to do this end ,ie anything you wish you all had done but didn,t before leaving,
thanks for all the replies.
Old Apr 11th 2004, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Lara

One thing I'll add to this thread. Make sure you visit several state schools in the area, not just the one nearest to where you are living as you will find that there are some big differences in the facilities available and the attitude of the staff in general. I didn't believe it until we actually went and looked for ourselves. Be initially disappointed with the standard the local children are at. My daughter is no whizz, but even we were suprised at the level the local kids are at with regard to reading and maths ( she's 6). I am quite happy that she wasn't bringing a lot of homework home like she was in the UK, but we have enrolled at the local library so she can keep her reading going.
Many people I have spoken to since being here in QLD have commented on private education once your children hit high school age. I don't have to worry about that yet for a few years, but again I think it may be something people will have to ( or even should) consider once that time comes

Nick.
Old Apr 11th 2004, 11:18 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by LaraandBryn
what a small world.ABC diamond which school did you go to in gravesend???
if your late 30,s then perhaps our social circles may have touched!!!
really looking forward to moving .any musts to do this end ,ie anything you wish you all had done but didn,t before leaving,
thanks for all the replies.
Gordon Road Secondary, The Technical High, and Gravesend Grammar - all three !!!

late 30's plus a bit A fair bit
I lived in Higham, but left school back in 1967 !!

I can't really help with the last part, other than to say, bring your memories with you, as they seem to change with time, in your mind And if that seems too deep, it's the effects of the wine I know what I mean, and it's good

We've been reminising about the UK this evening, but i'm still happier to be here

Old Apr 11th 2004, 12:19 pm
Redland Bay - 22/06/04

hi there
went to the girls grammar.my brother went to thamesview ,however i'm 37 so may not know some similar friends.my friend frances is 43 she went to gordon then onto gravesend grammar for girls.as you know gordon was shut down and all the kids split up.
gravesend is still much the same as always,i like the friendoliness of people here but have had enough now of uk so still feel very excited to be moving away.
gravesend is now a heritage town and has a beach again though the outside pool has gone.
i'm sure you made the right move.
have your children ever been here to visit? would be a culture shock for them.
I think we are est on the redland bay area,will visit all the areas and then rent but want children to start school quickly to help them settle,and do not want to move them once in a school.

talking of gravesend do you remember the rugby club discos,the whitehart,central and the woodville hall nights?
sad the things we used to do !!!!

enjoy your wine have a glass for us,medicals next week,house sold so not long to wait now,
Old Apr 11th 2004, 12:56 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by LaraandBryn
hi there
went to the girls grammar.my brother went to thamesview ,however i'm 37 so may not know some similar friends.my friend frances is 43 she went to gordon then onto gravesend grammar for girls.as you know gordon was shut down and all the kids split up.
gravesend is still much the same as always,i like the friendoliness of people here but have had enough now of uk so still feel very excited to be moving away.
gravesend is now a heritage town and has a beach again though the outside pool has gone.
i'm sure you made the right move.
have your children ever been here to visit? would be a culture shock for them.
I think we are est on the redland bay area,will visit all the areas and then rent but want children to start school quickly to help them settle,and do not want to move them once in a school.

talking of gravesend do you remember the rugby club discos,the whitehart,central and the woodville hall nights?
sad the things we used to do !!!!

enjoy your wine have a glass for us,medicals next week,house sold so not long to wait now,
I remember that outside pool !!! Thats my reason for never being able to learn to swim, it was alway to damn cold !! It was right opposite our school in Gordon Road. I think I noticed it wasnt there, the last time I was back a few years ago.
I came back to the UK for a few years but returned to OZ again in 2000. My daughter was born in UK, but doesn't remember much, she's only 7, but she's looking forward to a holiday there one day.

The whitehart & central I remember, but we mainly went to Chatham for our nights out Brings back some memories

You should like the Redland Bay area, it is nice here