Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thornlands, QLD anyone?

Thornlands, QLD anyone?

Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:43 am
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thornlands, QLD anyone?

oo, want to send him to a strictish school but not too strict if you know what I mean. He started school here in September but dont think he will be able to start prep until next Jan (hes 5 in July)

Thanks for the replies, sorry OP for taking over your thread
Joex

Last edited by mark 'n' joe; Jan 29th 2009 at 10:45 am.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spadgersdad
Hi,
Have also heard this from friends that their children went to Sheldon and the school was very strict so they pulled them out
I agree Sheldon is strict.

But is is not as strict as my old school back in the NW of England, ok this was 20+ years ago and a public school.

One of the reasons we left the UK in the first place was because there was a huge lack of respect for teachers, at least at Sheldon they will not tolerate this and the pupils are taught to respect teacher's, themselves and each other. Like I said before the change in my Son has been remarkable, we went back to the UK for Christmas and friend and family commented on how well behaved and polite he was, now that's mostly down to Sheldon.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

spadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nice

I know exactly what you mean I have worked in the Education system in the UK and have done a short spell here in Australia, children need boundaries and guidelines, to allow them to intigrate within society as adults. Sounds like your son is doing well at Sheldon and as said previous cannot pass judgement as never had any personal experience.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in 2 minds about Sheldon. I have heard all the stories about how strict it is as well, a friend of mine was a teacher there until this year. I went for an interview there wil my 9 and 6 year old.......I was kept waiting for 55 mintues which I was very unimpressed by.

However, what they do offer is a much wider curriculum than Ormiston College, particularly in the areas of performing arts. My eldest is at Ormiston College and my middle daughter will probably go as well, but my youngest......I am just not sure that Orimiston is the right place for her with the emphasis on an academic education only. The flip side of that is that I am not sure that Sheldon is the right place either. She's such a free little spirit and I'd hate to see that knocked out of her by the school.

Tough choices!

Rudi
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:58 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

There are many schools here in bayside that offer excellent education - most of the private ones are on a par , each has their own flavour.

The 'respect' angle I can certainly say Ive seen at all the private schools we looked at - discipline and strictness seems to certainly be a focus at sheldon - but the other schools are equally "attentive" to behaviour whilst maybe not being so out+out about the consequences - ie - there is a difference between being given a week to remedy a uniform problem ( like - youhave 1 week to go buy new shoes that are inthe policy ) vs the tougher (perhaps sheldon's) approach which is (you go home now until you have the right shoes) .

The anecdote about shoes is from experience with a friends son.

Im only putting this in here to make the point that there are a range of excellent schools - Ormiston + Sheldon are possibly top of that range or at least market themselves as such andhave a focus on particular things. There are a whole range of others in roughly equal category in terms of quality ofeducation , discipline, structure, and teaching -like faith, redlands college, etc.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:14 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by spalen
there is a difference between being given a week to remedy a uniform problem ( like - youhave 1 week to go buy new shoes that are inthe policy ) vs the tougher (perhaps sheldon's) approach which is (you go home now until you have the right shoes) .

I'll agree with you on that, from our own experiences.
I once had to drive back to Sheldon with the uniform item that was forgotten, or bring her home.
But this week, at Faith, she has a few days to find her 'missing' sports cap !!!

Maybe if she had stayed at Sheldon, she wouldn't 'mislay' things as easily ???

Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
there is a difference between being given a week to remedy a uniform problem ( like - youhave 1 week to go buy new shoes that are inthe policy ) vs the tougher (perhaps sheldon's) approach which is (you go home now until you have the right shoes) .

Mate, with your "anecdote" is that directed at Sheldon or not? As you say "perhaps"!!!!!!!!!!

I've not known a school in Australia, Sheldon included that would send a student home because of the type of shoe's. Yes you have to have a certain type of shoes at Sheldon but there the usual black lace up "clark" type and to me if parents can't get this type of footwear right well let's face it, more fool them!

At the end of the day it's uniform
Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I'll agree with you on that, from our own experiences.
I once had to drive back to Sheldon with the uniform item that was forgotten, or bring her home.

Rule's are rule's at the end of the day
Old Jan 30th 2009, 10:51 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Mate, with your "anecdote" is that directed at Sheldon or not? As you say "perhaps"!!!!!!!!!!

I've not known a school in Australia, Sheldon included that would send a student home because of the type of shoe's. Yes you have to have a certain type of shoes at Sheldon but there the usual black lace up "clark" type and to me if parents can't get this type of footwear right well let's face it, more fool them!

At the end of the day it's uniform
In this specific case there was some problem with shoes - they got damaged so had to wear 'alternatives' and the school sent them home rather than allow the student to stay. Personally - I think that is slightly ridiculous and losing the plot somewhat in terms of the primary function of the school -to educate. Clearly some people have different opinions and like the zero tolerance policy, but as a parent I would have been mildly livid to be forced to take a day off work because of some shoes getting wet in order to babysit my child until I could find a shop to purchase a specific color rather than being allowed at least 1 days grace to deal with it in a sensible manner after work. (which is what happened :-) )

Omg Im posting about shoes........... how did my life come to this.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Yep good point and I'd be livid as well, you should have told us that in the first place.
That way it would have kept my fingers from this daft key board and firmly round a stubbie
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

KateandPhil is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by datamile
Its a suburb of redlands. You can cross redlands in 15 mins. Thornslands is mostly housing, with the main shops being at victoria point, cleveland ( Council ) and capabala.

There's a slow train from cleveland, or catch a bus out of vicky point going via bus way or capalaba. Average travel to the city I guess is around 1hr. You can drive, but you'll come up against limited and expensive parking in brisbane CDB.

Council Site

http://www.redland.qld.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx

Typically redlands was an aged farming area but now has many houses. Its very relaxed, and quiet, and you'd be lucky to find anyone eating out after 9pm.

A large number of brits live here as you still get better value for money, and that sea view.
My husband and I are hopefully emigrating to Oz in october and would really like to settle in Thornlands or around the Bayside. My husband is a Gas fitter/Plumber do you know if there is a demand for this line of work around the Thornlands ares?
Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:42 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by KateandPhil
My husband and I are hopefully emigrating to Oz in october and would really like to settle in Thornlands or around the Bayside. My husband is a Gas fitter/Plumber do you know if there is a demand for this line of work around the Thornlands ares?
If he had his licence now, and was already here, he could fit my new water heater tank.
From what I gather, some are still too busy to return calls for quotes.

Out of interest, what would he charge to install a new Heat Pump tank swapped over from a standard electric tank, with all fittings already being in about the right places ?

I am interested in seeing comparison prices.

I case it is of interest, Thornlands has 8.3% English born, compared to 4.3% for Australia wide in 2006. Oh yes, and 1.1% Scottish.

Old Mar 9th 2009, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Hi everyone this thread has been great, got more info from you guys than anywhere else. My husband and I are hoping to move to thornlands in october its sounds like just place we are wanting to move to. My husband is a Gasfitter/Plumber does anyone know if there is a high demand for this profession in the Thornlands area?
Old Mar 9th 2009, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If he had his licence now, and was already here, he could fit my new water heater tank.
From what I gather, some are still too busy to return calls for quotes.

Out of interest, what would he charge to install a new Heat Pump tank swapped over from a standard electric tank, with all fittings already being in about the right places ?

I am interested in seeing comparison prices.

I case it is of interest, Thornlands has 8.3% English born, compared to 4.3% for Australia wide in 2006. Oh yes, and 1.1% Scottish.
Thanks for that. Will get my husband to work out a rough price for you. He is self employed at the moment but is looking to work for someone else when we get to Oz.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 11:34 am
Just Joined

The payne family is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi yes, I live just down the road, in Victoria Point, there is not a lot in Thornlands itself apart from housing, small corner shops and a garage, however its renowned for its housing and located in between Cleveland, then Raby Bay and the other side Victoria Point. Coming from Staines just outside of Heathrow just Feb last year, saying its a bit remote sounds stupid, but its just lots of housing and a new development in progress too.

However not a bad area, I know a lot of people who love it there, but Victoria Point the best, located just on the bay, I live 0.3 miles from the water and kids facilities, so have a look, the best move we and our 3 kids have made.

Very antiquated getting retrained as an sparky but all the same the best move we have made from the UK and definately wouldnt return.

Just bear in mind too, if you like us are on a perm residency visa, ours an independent skilled, you can from the day you arrive claim through Centrelink, family assistance, rent assistance and childcare fees, we didnt know and only found out in the July after arriving in Feb 08, then too late to claim any back, so bear that in mind to do along with your driving licence, make it a job high on your list as we used a hell of a lot of money whilst looking and finding a job to pay the bills. It takes a lot longer here than we ever thought, getting a job, manyana manyan, if thats how you spell it. We came over for a calmer and more relaxed way of life and thats the Australians and get used to it or you in for a shock!! Any other questions pls ask, good luck and take the plunge, life is what you make it, and ours is great.!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.