Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thirroul/Austinmer Good for Families?

Thirroul/Austinmer Good for Families?

Old Aug 17th 2011, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

luxmama is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thirroul/Austinmer Good for Families?

Hi everyone. I live in Luxembourg with my husband, who is Australian and our 3 kids, (twins- 5yrs old, 19 month old). We're planning a move to the Sydney area next spring. We were looking at the Manly, Dee Why area, but could only afford a 2 bedroom rental, while I'm not working.
We've shifted our search to the northern suburbs of the Ilawarra. Does anyone know if Austinmer and Thirroul or Woonona are nice towns with good schools?
My twins have funny little accents after going to Luxembourgish schools for 3 years. Are there many expats in the area, or will they be the only ones without aussie accents?
Many thanks!
Old Aug 18th 2011, 4:42 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thirroul/Austinmer Good for Families?

Originally Posted by luxmama
Hi everyone. I live in Luxembourg with my husband, who is Australian and our 3 kids, (twins- 5yrs old, 19 month old). We're planning a move to the Sydney area next spring. We were looking at the Manly, Dee Why area, but could only afford a 2 bedroom rental, while I'm not working.
We've shifted our search to the northern suburbs of the Ilawarra. Does anyone know if Austinmer and Thirroul or Woonona are nice towns with good schools?
My twins have funny little accents after going to Luxembourgish schools for 3 years. Are there many expats in the area, or will they be the only ones without aussie accents?
Many thanks!
Well luxmama you are in luck!! We moved here nearly 4 years ago, initially to Manly and now have recently moved to Bulli, right next to Thirroul. So I hope I can answer most of your questions.
We have 1 son, 6, and when first got here lived in a lovely apartment on Manly beach but it cost $750. We also wanted our son to have regular structured day care so had him enrolled in Full Day Care and we wanted a car...soooo...wife had to work. We loved the place but Manly can be very transient and although a fantastic introduction to Australia was too 'holiday' style for us. We then moved to Seaforth to a 4 bed house, 725pw, and again loved it but my wife started feeling a bit sad when our son started school and she could not attend all his school functions etc.
So, we made a lifestyle decision this year, purely off the cuff, and she gave up work and we moved to Bulli. We had been looking at Thirroul/Bulli/Austinmer for a while anyway as I wanted to live in an affordable area but still by the beach. To be honest my wife loves it, she is so happy and for me its a direct train into the CBD and an easy journey. I also can work from home so for me its an added bonus!! Our son goes to the local Public school and is thoroughly enjoying it and has mixed in really well.
As for funny accents, the Illawarra accent is funny enough as it is!!
You will love it, great lifestyle, great beaches and an affordable family lifestyle.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 7:28 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

Totally agree with the above. Although we eventually bought in south Sydney (due to oh's long hours, until 9pm some nights and working seven days some weeks and not wanting him to commute any longer than necessary) we did look at the area and loved it. We often pop down to the beach in Austinmer.

Our eldest is the only British child we know of at her school (though I am sure there must be more) and her accent has never been an issue. In fact every day it becomes less British and more Australian! Our youngest (who is still at home with me) sounds British still, but I am sure that that will change once she starts school in 18 months.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies. Sounds like it's a good area, even if they do have funny accents. My husband has family in Balgownie and Woonona, so that's another reason why we're looking down that way. Free babysitting!

The public schools seem good. Does anyone know anything about the Catholic schools in the area?

Ok, and now the big question. Have you encountered lots of scary, poisonous spiders? Funnel-webs? Red backs?? Do you have to watch the kids all the time? Can I let me 19 month old explore the garden or the park without worrying he's going to come across something deadly?

Thanks again!
Old Aug 18th 2011, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, and now the big question. Have you encountered lots of scary, poisonous spiders? Funnel-webs? Red backs?? Do you have to watch the kids all the time? Can I let me 19 month old explore the garden or the park without worrying he's going to come across something deadly?

Thanks again!
Funnel webs... seen none in five years.
Redbacks... I have them on my fence pretty regularly. Leave them alone and they leave you.
Watch the kids all the time... nope, but mine are 20 and 17
Snakes... a real rarity in a suburban garden. I do see them from time to time, but they don't want to bother you anymore than you want to bother them.

The 'deadly wildlife' is hugely over played. Your kids will be fine.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 12:16 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies. Sounds like it's a good area, even if they do have funny accents. My husband has family in Balgownie and Woonona, so that's another reason why we're looking down that way. Free babysitting!

The public schools seem good. Does anyone know anything about the Catholic schools in the area?

Thanks again!
Some VERY good Catholic schools here, St Josephs in Bulli and St Michaels in Thirroul come to mind, both have websites you can search for. With regards to wildlife, no dramas. I HATE snakes but have not seen one since I have been here in Oz, our friends saw one in their garden in Balgownie but they live right next to the bush escarpment. Spiders are easily avoided by having your house sprayed regularly, as for parks/reserves etc if you watch constantly you will live a life of continuous fear. If it wasn't safe for kids to play then they wouldn't be there.
We educated our son at an early age about respecting wildlife and he is intrigued about spiders but keeps a distance if he see's any, even got upset that we had to get rid of a large Huntsman last week.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 10:46 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Thirroul - it's a great place, a nice mixture of never left never leaving locals and sydney and international imports. We play Aussie v's the Empire Cricket on Clouds park in Austi all through the summer and there are a few of us expats around the place. Good choice of schools, dance academy, singing school, surf nippers, footy, etc etc. The boutique shops can be a bit expensive as they cater to the weekend tourist trade but on the whole you can get everything you need without going south of Bulli Pass.

Spiders...........I love my Huntsmans, they eat the mozzies which eat me if I don't keep a few spiders around the place. Not seen a red back here yet, seen and whacked a couple of white tips and have seen one funnel web on the move after very heavy rain in spring last year. When its dry they don't tend to venture out. He regretted venturing out after he met the underside of my foot.

My mate had a house that backed onto the escarpment at Austi and they had a carpet python living in the roof who used to sunbathe on the verandah. It's part and parcel of living in an amazingly beautiful part of Australia. The king parrots and rozellas made up for the snake.

You'll love it!
Old Aug 20th 2011, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone. I'm a little less worried about the deadly spiders, since you all seem to be surviving. My Aussie in-laws were all saying they had never seen funnel-webs or loads of killer snakes, but I wasn't entirely sure they were telling the truth. They have a teasing, slightly sarcastic humour, which perhaps is an Aussie thing?? I have a hard time telling if they are joking or not.

I think I will try to avoid living too close to this escarpment thing some of you mentioned. I keep seeing houses for rent on domain.com.au, which say "located in a lovely BUSHLAND setting". I don't think I'm going to see that as a big selling point anymore!

Thanks for the names of the catholic schools too! I checked out the websites and they look really good, and not expensive. The area is sounding very nice to me. Can't wait to get over there and start exploring!
Thanks all.