Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Perth from uk

Thinking of moving to Perth from uk

Old Jan 6th 2020, 5:35 am
Just Joined

Scottishguy11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving to Perth from uk

Hi everyone

I’m looking for a bit of advice around job prospects around Perth and surrounding area. I am married and have 2 kids ( 12&14) and currently live in Glasgow. We have spent the past month travelling round Australia primarily as a holiday but also to look at potential areas we may want to move to. North Perth was everything we hoped it would be so that would be a preferred destination.
I am a physio and my wife is a dentist ( 20 years experience each) and we do well enough in Glasgow with a combined salary of around £150k per year and we own a couple of practices. It would be a big risk to move but feel that at 40 it would be now or never.
I’m Looking for a bit of advice on job prospects / salary/ eligibility etc if anyone can help. It’s really in its infancy with us but any initial ideas from people who are in the know would be great.

cheers.

Last edited by Scottishguy11; Jan 6th 2020 at 5:36 am. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old Jan 6th 2020, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Perth from uk

Hi, Happy New Year. First I would check if your skills are currently are required in Australia...and if so then check if required in WA.. I think the age limited is 45 I personally would not migrate unless on a permanent residency or if I was rich enough to retire there..but that's just me. Good luck
Old Jan 7th 2020, 12:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scottishguy11
Hi everyone

I’m looking for a bit of advice around job prospects around Perth and surrounding area. I am married and have 2 kids ( 12&14) and currently live in Glasgow. We have spent the past month travelling round Australia primarily as a holiday but also to look at potential areas we may want to move to. North Perth was everything we hoped it would be so that would be a preferred destination.
I am a physio and my wife is a dentist ( 20 years experience each) and we do well enough in Glasgow with a combined salary of around £150k per year and we own a couple of practices. It would be a big risk to move but feel that at 40 it would be now or never.
I’m Looking for a bit of advice on job prospects / salary/ eligibility etc if anyone can help. It’s really in its infancy with us but any initial ideas from people who are in the know would be great.

cheers.
Do it
Old Jan 7th 2020, 2:37 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Do it
Easy to say without knowing the visa situation.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 4:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Easy to say without knowing the visa situation.

Let me - just for you - rephrase that:

If you qualify for a visa - do it
Old Jan 7th 2020, 5:24 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scottishguy11
Hi everyone

cheers.

Hi and welcome to BE. To get a permanent resident work visa you'll need to have enough Points (made up of a mix of age, qualifications, experience etc), plus have an 'in demand' skill on the skilled occupation list and be able to pass the skills assessment for that skill. I believe the applicant needs to be under 45 years of age A good place to start is here https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...sa/visa-finder
If you want to live and work in Perth permanently, you'll need either a 189 visa (this is a permanent residency visa and allows you to work anywhere in Australia) or a 190 visa, which you'd need State (Western Australia) sponsorship for. Go through the visa finder link above and please feel free to come back with any questons.

This link will allow you to determine if you have sufficient points for the 189 or 190 visa, although you'd firstly need to know if your skill was on the skilled occupation list and that you (or your wife) had passed the skills assessment. Good for getting an idea though https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help...nts-calculator

If both physiotherapist and dentist are on the skilled occupation list, have a look at the skills assessment to see which of you is most likely to pass the skills assessment. Also look into what, if any, additional training either of you would need in order to be a licenced practitioner in Australia.

North Perth is a perfect place for allied health professionals to live, as is the adjacent suburb of Mount Lawley.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Jan 7th 2020 at 5:33 am.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 11:48 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Let me - just for you - rephrase that:

If you qualify for a visa - do it

I agree, though. If you can while you're young then why not give it a go.
Old Jan 8th 2020, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently 95 points is what's needed now. I was floored when I saw that.

So I think a long shot without any sort of previous Australian ties or experience.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

paulmountford is an unknown quantity at this point

The regional skilled visa 491 I think requires 65 points and gets you into Perth and most of Aus apart from Sydney and Melbourne.