Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Australia

Wikiposts

Thinking of moving to Australia

Old Aug 17th 2011, 5:08 am
Just Joined

AddictedToTravel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving to Australia

My husband son and I are thinking about moving to Australia. One thing I wanted to know, so we can make up a budget to see what he would need to be earning is the cheaper grocery stores in Melbourne and Sidney. Right now we shop at a Costco type place that doesn't require membership, although we don't have anything against a place that does! We buy a lot of dried beans, rice, pasta etc and frozen vegetables, as well as a weekly shop for fresh fruit, vegetables, milk and bread.

I hope someone could give me some names of shops like this so we can do a budget and see if Australia will work for us!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by AddictedToTravel; Aug 17th 2011 at 7:04 am.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Australia

Originally Posted by AddictedToTravel
My husband son and I are thinking about moving to Australia. One thing I wanted to know, so we can make up a budget to see what he would need to be earning is the cheaper grocery stores in Melbourne and Sidney. Right now we shop at a Costco type place that doesn't require membership, although we don't have anything against a place that does! We buy a lot of dried beans, rice, pasta etc and frozen vegetables, as well as a weekly shop for fresh fruit, vegetables, milk and bread.

I hope someone could give me some names of shops like this so we can do a budget and see if Australia will work for us!

Thanks in advance!
coles

woolworths

aldi

But your first step if you haven't done so already would be to study this site DIAC before you worry about food.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Shelly. Cost of groceries is not the place to start, visa eligibility is. You need to earn GBP X about 2.5 for similar standard of living.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 7:56 am
Just Joined

AddictedToTravel is an unknown quantity at this point

We already know about the visa's, that's my husbands part of the job of our possible relocation. He also already has a number of job options.

MY job is to start putting together a budget for household things!

Thanks for the names of the shops!
Old Aug 17th 2011, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

We already know about the visa's, that's my husbands part of the job of our possible relocation. He also already has a number of job options.

Costing out vegetables as part of you immigration investigation could be a waste of time, not least because they change.

You should look for at least 2.5 times salary for similar standard of living, that does seem to be the consensus anyway.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 8:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look back through the forum, there are some recent threads with a lot of budget details in, stuff about rent, utility bills etc

And welcome to BE
Old Aug 17th 2011, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Normally I would not care about prices but, in anorak mode, I've been recording my bills and I appear to be spending about $400 per month on household stuff. That's for a single person and excludes petrol and alcohol and coffee.

This is in Sydney around the inner city - Surry Hills, Redfern and also 'posh' suburbs like Double Bay (Double PAY some say) and Rose Bay.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I really wouldn't try to price food online apart from a really general guide, shopping here doesn't tend to be done in a single store.

You get lots of independent greengrocers here which can be much cheaper than the supermarkets (particularly if you buy in season). All my pulses I buy dried in bulk from the greengrocer along with fruit & veg (after comparing with Aldi & Woolies as they are in the same shopping centre), for chicken I go to the chicken shop and for the rest of the meat I go to the bulk meat butcher
Old Aug 17th 2011, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

I love making lists and thinking of things like this so I reckon go for your life!

colesonline.com.au is fine for a good idea of what you woudl spend in a broad kind of way.

The hidden costs are in household things I think - like furnishings - random stuff seems to cost a lot. And the bills are very different.

Good luck!
Old Sep 1st 2011, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

simply14u has a brilliant futuresimply14u has a brilliant futuresimply14u has a brilliant futuresimply14u has a brilliant futuresimply14u has a brilliant futuresimply14u has a brilliant futuresimply14u has a brilliant futuresimply14u has a brilliant future

We find shopping in our area ok as there are plenty of shops around. Prices became more competitive when Aldi opened a few years ago.

I've never been to Melbourne (too cold down there for me!) but I have heard shopping is pretty good. Sydney shopping can be good, especially at Paddys Market for fresh fruit & veg............though I'd never live in Sydney! Too crowded and busy as well as expensive housing.

Costco has opened in Melbourne and Sydney now.