Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

thinking in migrating from the uk to australia.

thinking in migrating from the uk to australia.

Old Dec 10th 2009, 9:13 am
Just Joined

debb1e is an unknown quantity at this point
Default thinking in migrating from the uk to australia.

iv got 2 kids and a husband who works in IT busness and thinking in migrating to australia. Could anyone tell me whats the IT busness like out there and good places to live with kids thank you and any other information would always be helpful thank you for your help
Old Dec 10th 2009, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Lymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant future
Default Re: thinking in migrating from the uk to australia.

You might want to be more specific on the states you are thinking about living in and the area of IT your OH is in.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 10:09 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debb1e
whats the IT busness like out there
Here's a little sub=forum for your hubby Debbie.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=78
Old Dec 10th 2009, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

iv got 2 kids and a husband who works in IT busness and thinking in migrating to australia. Could anyone tell me whats the IT busness like out there and good places to live with kids thank you and any other information would always be helpful thank you for your help
Sit down have a cup of tea. Now first things first:

Were you abused as a child?

Can you see anything in these ink-blots?

<Ducks for cover>

Are you normal? Yes - you'll be fine....

Oh - and write out 1000 times - Australia is not perfect. You can wave this paper around and save grief later..

Welcome to the madhouse..oops sorry house.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 10:15 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Sit down have a cup of tea. Now first things first:

Were you abused as a child?

Can you see anything in these ink-blots?

<Ducks for cover>

Are you normal? Yes - you'll be fine....

Oh - and write out 1000 times - Australia is not perfect. You can wave this paper around and save grief later..

Welcome to the madhouse..oops sorry house.

That's the Dandenongs off the list then.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 10:16 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
That's the Dandenongs off the list then.
and Perth
Old Dec 10th 2009, 10:49 am
Just Joined

yeah true lymm whos posted a message that i need to put more detail what my hubbie does in his job and look at certain areas in australia i need to do that tonight thank you for pointing that out to me
Old Dec 10th 2009, 11:01 am
Bix
da Bonehead

yeah true lymm whos posted a message that i need to put more detail what my hubbie does in his job and look at certain areas in australia i need to do that tonight thank you for pointing that out to me
Ultimately I guess work will dictate where you need to live Debbie so start from that angle as depending what he does could limit your options anyway.

So get some ideas of where the employment prospects lie in his type of work then look at those areas as potential home making areas.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 11:06 am
Just Joined

Poppy33 is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend emigrated to Rowville in Melbourne, it is great for the stepford wives kind of upbringing that some people want for their kids. You know? The American dream but in Australia.

I can think of great places for the kids to live but I'll let you once you've decided on a state. Things to note, Melbourne is cooler than most places in winter but then it gets hotter than most states in the middle of summer, phew. Sydney is better weather wise and great beaches but it is full of English people. In Queensland there is a wet and windy season and less trees than anywhere else and in WA it is stunning but there are a lot of shark attacks at the beautiful Cottesloe beach, although sharks are everywhere. Oh yes did I mention I love Australia it will be the best move you ever make.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 11:22 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy33
Things to note, Melbourne is cooler than most places in winter but then it gets hotter than most states in the middle of summer, phew. Sydney is better weather wise and great beaches but it is full of English people. In Queensland there is a wet and windy season and less trees than anywhere else and in WA it is stunning but there are a lot of shark attacks at the beautiful Cottesloe beach, although sharks are everywhere.

Have you actually been to Australia?
Old Dec 10th 2009, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Grayling

Have you actually been to Australia?
Erm yeah, I travelled all around Australia for two years, living in Perth, Melbourne and on the central coast and I have lived in Melbourne for the past 8 years. You?

and if you are confused about the less trees thing Queensland, I meant in the cities compared to other states cities, it is part of the reason I decided not to move to Queensland. I like to see a tree or two on my way to work. If you are confused about my estimations of the weather then BOM is a great website to confirm. Or sharks, yeah not too many shark attacks but they are waiting for us...hahaha

Last edited by Poppy33; Dec 10th 2009 at 11:33 am.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 11:29 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Poppy33
Erm yeah, I travelled all around Australia for two years, living in Perth, Melbourne and on the central coast and I have lived in Melbourne for the past 8 years. You?
Yes....I live in Queensland...the place where you say has less trees than anywhere.

You obviously had your eyes shut when you visited.

....and Sydney is full of brits....priceless
Old Dec 10th 2009, 11:35 am
Just Joined

is it true people from nz says that if a brit goes over and trys and gets work thay will just throw there cv out of the window because thay not from nz. will australia do that? silly q i know
Old Dec 10th 2009, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

No Debbie that isn't true. Australia is a massive migrant country and in Melbourne I know of no one that had any trouble like this. It is travellers that often have this type of trouble but even then it is rare and happens in a recession or when the employment rates are very low. I had this trouble in Perth 10 years ago but I was a traveller and it was because I couldn't commit to work for more than a few months. I don't know of permanent migrants that have had this trouble and although most of my friends are Aussies I still know the odd Brit, so I can't be too wrong.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 12:22 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by Grayling
....and Sydney is full of brits....priceless
In the 2006 Census (held on 8th August 2006), there were 4,119,190 persons usually resident in Sydney (Major Statistical Region)

Country of birth:

Australia 2,486,710
England 145,261
China 109,142
N.Zealand 81,064

Must be tripping over the English on every corner

Last edited by Bix; Dec 10th 2009 at 12:34 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.