Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking of MBTUK due to lack of CAD work

Thinking of MBTUK due to lack of CAD work

Old May 16th 2013, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thinking of MBTUK due to lack of CAD work

OH was made redundant (last contractor out of the office as usual due to his skill and dedication ) at the end of March. Since then nada on the work front. We're in a one horse town for his work (well no horse now) and have our dream house on the market so we can move to the next job. His extensive experience is in aerospace, automotive, trains etc, on Catia and NX mostly, as a mechanical design engineer.

We've exhausted our limited network here and cold called many companies and agents. Usual story is nothing at the moment - waiting to hear about tenders then maybe... Next to nothing being advertised. Nothing much in any sector available locally, certainly nothing that can support a family of 5 with his lack of experience in other industries.

Consequently we are seriously considering heading back to the uk for what appears to be a great deal more security. He has better networks there and they report a buoyant job situation. I've been ok here (currently at uni) but never quite felt totally settled and miss family. Kids are ok with whatever move comes next. Still have the uk house, rented out. Obviously wouldn't go til a firm job was there.

The limbo is crippling - not knowing even what continent we'll be on in 6 months let alone long term. We had a bad couple of years after we got here with visas (now citizens) so limbo is something we are heartily sick of. Initially we wanted to give another Australian place a chance, only having lived regionally in one town for the last 6yrs, even though we really aren't city people. Now I just don't know. What's more seem to have no choices here anyway.

So anyone out there in BEland have any knowledge of this work sector that could be useful? Thoughts on our situation?
Old May 16th 2013, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

SUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Thinking of MBTUK due to lack of CAD work

yep im hearing the same thing not a lot of cad work out there. all the people i know are saying if you have work stay put.

i had an agent contact me last week from London screaming for drafties and engineers for the UAE. (construction)

i think drafting has become somewhat a nomadic occupation you have to follow the work rather than sit it out in one town waiting for work.

problem with drafting in the UK compared to here is the MASSIVE salary drop
Old May 16th 2013, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

really? we took a small drop coming here 6 yrs ago and we're being told the rate now is slightly less in the uk (due to exchange rate having flipped on their heads in those 6 yrs) but as stuff is cheaper in the uk it works out about the same in real terms. Again it depend who for, how and where you work I guess.

Being nomadic is easier said than done with secondary aged kids.

Wish he did construction - there's still a bit of work about structural and civil but nil for manufacturing and transport

Out of interest what state/city are you in? (I presume construction)
Old May 16th 2013, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Safin
OH was made redundant (last contractor out of the office as usual due to his skill and dedication ) at the end of March. Since then nada on the work front. We're in a one horse town for his work (well no horse now) and have our dream house on the market so we can move to the next job. His extensive experience is in aerospace, automotive, trains etc, on Catia and NX mostly, as a mechanical design engineer.

We've exhausted our limited network here and cold called many companies and agents. Usual story is nothing at the moment - waiting to hear about tenders then maybe... Next to nothing being advertised. Nothing much in any sector available locally, certainly nothing that can support a family of 5 with his lack of experience in other industries.

Consequently we are seriously considering heading back to the uk for what appears to be a great deal more security. He has better networks there and they report a buoyant job situation. I've been ok here (currently at uni) but never quite felt totally settled and miss family. Kids are ok with whatever move comes next. Still have the uk house, rented out. Obviously wouldn't go til a firm job was there.

The limbo is crippling - not knowing even what continent we'll be on in 6 months let alone long term. We had a bad couple of years after we got here with visas (now citizens) so limbo is something we are heartily sick of. Initially we wanted to give another Australian place a chance, only having lived regionally in one town for the last 6yrs, even though we really aren't city people. Now I just don't know. What's more seem to have no choices here anyway.

So anyone out there in BEland have any knowledge of this work sector that could be useful? Thoughts on our situation?

Check your PM, my OH has send you message after I've read your post today & asked him if his company be interested in maybe getting a job for your OH, he tells me they are very busy at the moment & always struggle to get the right person in, but we are in Sydney, I don't know if that's any help to you guys?
Old May 17th 2013, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Cheers, OH has emailed your OH this morning.
Old May 17th 2013, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers, OH has emailed your OH this morning.
Do you checked out the company has your OH heard of them before?
Old May 17th 2013, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

We did, they are pretty different from those he has worked for before - A new area of engineering for him but he's game if they are.
Old May 17th 2013, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

We did, they are pretty different from those he has worked for before - A new area of engineering for him but he's game if they are.

Good luck, OH been with them for 3 years now, but we have been where you are now so can really understand what you are going through that was 4 years ago with the first GFC when OH was made redundant, he moved to Perth for 9 months for contract jobs as nothing was happening in Brisbane, but we stayed in Qld, we only moved when he was offered a permanent job.
Old May 18th 2013, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I think this goes to underline the absolute necessity of depth of experience (local and otherwise) and more importantly, network and contacts. We are most likely to be heading back to Sydney for exactly the reasons the OP is thinking of heading back to the UK.

I have narrowly missed out on two roles here (one decided they wanted an engineer after all and went back to the drawing board, and the other decided I could do the job to a higher level than was required). I was offered one role based on what I've done in Sydney, but the company has a less than stellar reputation for integrity and I could do without having them on my CV.

I can't pick up the phone and write my own ticket nowadays (could have 5yrs ago!), but given our contacts and the amount the phone has been ringing since I've put myself on the Sydney market gives us a lot more confidence.

We are off to California tomorrow for 12 days of driving, surfing and generally hanging out on Highway 1, and we will use the time to make sure we are ok with going ahead. Nothing is set in stone, but i pretty much know which way we'll be heading.

I think economic situations can be made to seem worse (wherever you are) if you don't have the contacts, friends, experience base and probably quite a bit to do with comfort zones as well.

I arrived in Sydney in 1989 and the following couple of years were very lean to say the least. It may come down to what you're used to, not sure.

Good luck to the OP anyway