Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking of emigrating to Australia or Canada

Thinking of emigrating to Australia or Canada

Old Aug 23rd 2009, 8:20 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Thinking of emigrating to Australia or Canada

Originally Posted by deadlock
if you move to oz consider crime,ineffecient police,living costs, and australian youths,houses that are no longer cheap and that are nowhere near as solidly built as european houses,
Crime is no worse in OZ then Canada and the living costs are about the same and l don't see whats wrong with houses in OZ, theres all different types to choose from.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

under35 is an unknown quantity at this point

what a good thread, lots of useful info. i have been to canada and oz and found actually both quite similar in terms of the mix of people. sadly..yes, both have western tax regimes and all the inefficiencies with it, one thing however, australians and canadians still expect things like police, hospitals to work. they still expect a service. in the uk we dont, that is a big difference. i reckon the uk is simply ahead in terms of the old political correctness (for hence ensues the forms and inefficiencies). everything in the uk is a process! care pathways! oh my what a load of ***.

in life you find your own utopia, find somewhere we you have access to stuff you want. be it sailing, be it sports, be it a pub, or more likely for most of the UK population, a large tesco with 24 hour pharmacist for that alka seltzer.

australia is consumer lead, and urbanised, both very off putting, yet it has positives, you dont need to spend all day in the shops, visit farm shops, get local market produce, then get a boat and do sailing, or visit some of the really nice sports centres.

in terms of wages....you can NOT compare your salary right now to those abroad. you must take an economic forcast for the future, will the IT jobs in the UK pay 50K going forward, i would say that depends deeply on whether the UK maintains a big financial focus! beware.

In terms of housing, yes, some of the uk houses are built a lot better than those in oz or NZ. canada they looked fine. but hey, its warmer there folks, you dont need two brick walls! but yes, you'll not find the amazing old victorian houses in oz for sure. but try buy one in london!

in terms of it being less stressful work wise abroad...no chance! it will be worse. it is all so dependent on employer you'll never win there. stress is what you make it.

there are some questions about canada and australia i never quite answer myself, how they squander their tax receipts. in the uk we have quango after quango and huge numbers of useless "management consultants" to waste our millions. its a nice model.

by the way, if you look back in history, management consultants never existed before, its a new "paradigm". I have a sneaky suspicion the countries that will do best in the future have the lowest ratio of management consultants to farmers.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 8:47 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by under35
one thing however, australians and canadians still expect things like police, hospitals to work. they still expect a service. in the uk we dont, that is a big difference. i reckon the uk is simply ahead in terms of the old political correctness (for hence ensues the forms and inefficiencies). everything in the uk is a process! care pathways! oh my what a load of ***.
You've obviously never lived in Queensland
Old Aug 24th 2009, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

under35 is an unknown quantity at this point

true, and i dont ever intend to live in queensland. saying that i would never intend to live in birmingham. not my cup of tea.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Gerroff....Brum is brill!

Originally Posted by under35
true, and i dont ever intend to live in queensland. saying that i would never intend to live in birmingham. not my cup of tea.