Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking of ditching Melbourne for Cairns

Thinking of ditching Melbourne for Cairns

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:39 am
True Blue

ectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really nice
Default Thinking of ditching Melbourne for Cairns

After 2 years in melb. we're thinking of a change of pace/life style and thinking of moving to Cairns. I'm a software developer / web developer and thinking of starting on my own. Anyone have any pointers on living in Cairns? Our kids are 10 and 5, what are the good schools? What are the good areas? You know, stuff like that

Ecto.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 2:37 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of ditching Melbourne for Cairns

we live in Redlynch in the northern end of Cairns 10 mins to city and 10 to the beaches.

Everything is pretty laid back here and no real traffic jams to speak off, lots of fee activities for families and lots of sports clubs etc for kids to join.

My boys go to high school so I dont know much about schools for your age group children sorry.

Cairns is very lush and green and obviously we have the barrier reef on our doorstep.

I dont think you will be dissappointed with Cairns its suppossed to be a hot spot and is growing quite quickly.

we kept getting warned by people who dont live in cairns about how difficult it was to live in such humid hot conditions, I can honestly say its not been as bad as I was led to believe as the people of cairns say living here and holidaying here are 2 entirely different things.

good luck
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 2:55 am
True Blue

ectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really nice

Originally Posted by wardy2
we live in Redlynch in the northern end of Cairns 10 mins to city and 10 to the beaches.

Everything is pretty laid back here and no real traffic jams to speak off, lots of fee activities for families and lots of sports clubs etc for kids to join.

My boys go to high school so I dont know much about schools for your age group children sorry.

Cairns is very lush and green and obviously we have the barrier reef on our doorstep.

I dont think you will be dissappointed with Cairns its suppossed to be a hot spot and is growing quite quickly.

we kept getting warned by people who dont live in cairns about how difficult it was to live in such humid hot conditions, I can honestly say its not been as bad as I was led to believe as the people of cairns say living here and holidaying here are 2 entirely different things.

good luck
Thanks for that. How about the bug situation? Mozzies, sandflies, spiders?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:18 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Had a couple of mozzzie bites but had more in Brisbane and Perth to be honest, I dont seem to have been bitten for ages OH got a couple of midgey bites the other night while watching the kids play football.

Not seen any big spiders couple of small huntsman and a st andrews but nothing that has bothered me.

We arent bothered by lots of flies either, apparently we dont get so many up here because we dont sufffer with the drought like many parts of Australia.

If you look for posts by Bix you can probably find out about all things cairns, he usually provides all the cairns wannabeess with the useful info or Tripawaymars posted loads of photos.

There seems to be quite a few of us who have or are making the move north its getting increasingly popular

Last edited by wardy2; Mar 23rd 2009 at 6:00 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:23 am
True Blue

Originally Posted by wardy2
Had a couple of mozzzie bites but had more in Brisbane and Perth to be honest, I dont seem to have been bitten for ages OH got a couple of midgey bites the other night while watching the kids play football.

Not seen any big spiders couple of small huntsman and a st andrews but nothing that has bothered me.

We arent bothered by lots of flies either, apparently we dont get so many up here because we dont sufffer with the drought like many parts of Australia.

If you look for posts by Bix you can probably find out about all things australian, he usually provides all the cairns wannabeess with the useful info or Tripawaymars posted loads of photos.

There seems to be quite a few of us who have or are making the move north its getting increasingly popular
Cheers, i'll look him up.