Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking Brisbane rather than Perth now, wot do you think???

Thinking Brisbane rather than Perth now, wot do you think???

Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thinking Brisbane rather than Perth now, wot do you think???

Hi everyone,
thought I'd give you my opinion on the situation seen as I come from a slightly different position.

I moved to Perth nearly 2 years ago. We did the holiday thing in 2002 and it was a close call between Perth and Brisbane. We decided on Perth for a number of reasons: the time difference between UK and Perth wasn't as great (we have UK clients we thought we'd need to speak to (turns out email is fine!)), Perth seemed very friendly, we fell in love with the hills area, hubby wasn't sure about the humidity in Brisbane.

Anyway, 2 years on and we've been looking to buy in Perth. Both myself and my husband had property in the UK which we sold before moving so we have some money behind us, we've also since had a baby girl so our circumstances have changed a bit. Anyway, we searched and searched for a house that we liked but there is just nothing on the market right now. One agent said that ordinarily he could show us over 60 properties....currently he has 5 and 4 of those are beyond our budget Any properties that do come on the market are sold almost the same day, with people offering over the asking price! We also looked at buying land but it's the same story plus there is a shortage of builders too.

So, upshot is that we're about to book a holiday to Brisbane to see what we think of it this time round...we'll probably end up moving there around Christmas and hope to buy soon after.

Perth is a fabulous place and I love it here. The people are very friendly, Fremantle is wonderful. If you've got pots of money behind you then you'll probably be fine. They (the experts!) aren't anticipating the housing issue to go away anytime soon...the mining industry is going full steam here and all the workers coming in from the east coast and abroad are fueling the housing shortage and price rises...it looks set to continue for a while.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Salli your right, Perth is a wonderful place it really is but the house prices are shocking. We cannot afford to buy here no way with the wages what they are. Again my husband is a bit funny about the humidity up in Brisbane but other people live with it so we are going to have a look.

I hope the house prices come down here soon which I doubt because of the train line coming to Rockingham.

Good luck and I hope you can plant you flag

hugs Lace xxx
Old Aug 7th 2006, 11:22 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lacey21
Salli your right, Perth is a wonderful place it really is but the house prices are shocking. We cannot afford to buy here no way with the wages what they are. Again my husband is a bit funny about the humidity up in Brisbane but other people live with it so we are going to have a look.

I hope the house prices come down here soon which I doubt because of the train line coming to Rockingham.

Good luck and I hope you can plant you flag

hugs Lace xxx
Getting worried about all this now, we wll have about £100k for house deposit, will this be enough, Wifey should get a nursing job quickish but my old income would be gone, and could we afford a mortgage ? I of cousrse would do owt to get income.

Or do you just rent and get income from saved depsit until housing market crashes..

hmmm

Hmmmm
Old Aug 8th 2006, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

youv'e got miles more than us Dave

lace x
Old Aug 8th 2006, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure what the deal is with new arrivals and mortages. We went to HSBC to get a credit card when we first arrived (we had HSBC accounts in the UK so we thought we'd be ok) but they said if we wanted a $1000 credit limit then we had to put $1000 in a trust account with them. We couldn't get a contract mobile phone either because we didn't have a credit history here. I brought my credit history printout from the UK but that didn't make any difference. Not sure how it works with mortages but I'm sure someone here can shed some light.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 2:38 pm
Banned

kite-surfer is a jewel in the roughkite-surfer is a jewel in the roughkite-surfer is a jewel in the roughkite-surfer is a jewel in the rough

We hope to soon bring some tours of Brisbane -

have over 140 in Perth online at the moment

I suggest you look at the free ones!

Georgie
Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

no salli we did the same and it didn't make any difference to us either.

good luck with it all

lace xx
Old Aug 10th 2006, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

[QUOTE=lacey21]Salli your right, Perth is a wonderful place it really is but the house prices are shocking. We cannot afford to buy here no way with the wages what they are. Again my husband is a bit funny about the humidity up in Brisbane but other people live with it so we are going to have a look.

Hi Lacey

Sorry to hear things not working out in Perth.
Hubbys mate moved there in Jan, with wife & 2 young uns, he likes it, but is now saying they just can't afford to buy a house there. So he's coming to Briz
next month for a few weeks, so see what he thinks.
We haven't experienced the humidity yet, we came in Feb, which was lovely & hot, but not too much.
Hope you get settled soon

Last edited by woogle; Aug 10th 2006 at 3:57 am.