Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Think before you sink

Think before you sink

Old Sep 8th 2005, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Think before you sink

Australia is not a BAD palce, neither is it a GREAT place.

The first few days in Australia are a merry go round of good(ish) weather, wonder at the cheap petrol prices (not now mind) and the space (outside the main cities).

Give it a month or two and then the realisation sets in that the country is lacking in a few ways compared to the UK/Europe.

The people and the media are very, very inward looking, the outside world only gets mentioned in conversations over sport.

Once you have seen Sydney, Melbourne and the bush and beach, you have pretty much seen the lot.

The cost of living once the Quids are a distant memory is equivelent or worse than Britain.

Aussies have a real big chip on their shoulder concering the POMS.

Unless you are wealthy enough to live in a good bit of Syd/Mel, you will die a thousand deaths in non descript suburbs, or you could live for cheap in Bourke or Cooper Pedy!

You notice that Australia really is full of low IQ rednecks like Wombat 42 that will constantly remind you that "Oz is the best country in the world" even though they have never left the place and have nothing to compare it to.

You then look at your Aussie wages and see why the place is full of wombats 42s, you just cant afford to leave the place!

The supermarkets are expensive and rubbish.

No good beer, curry, chip shops.

Do not even think about watching the TV.

Before I get the "Oh we are moving to OZ to escape being stuck in front of the TV". What do you think you will do when its cold and dark by 5 pm in the Southern states in July.

Last edited by eatstatic; Sep 8th 2005 at 9:25 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Think before you sink

Yeah but I have lived in Manchester most of my life and it crap here but with no sun EVER!

So at the end of the day I have three sisters who live there loads of nephews and nieces and they love it.

Give it a go thats what I say and if it doesn't work then oh well...............come back.

hundreds of people all striving for the same thing on British ex pats can't wrong

hugs Lace x
Old Sep 8th 2005, 9:26 pm
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute

But a least we will be able to say, we tyred it!
Old Sep 8th 2005, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

damn right lor

lace
Old Sep 8th 2005, 9:38 pm
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=lacey21]damn right lor

Yeah! and we can wait and see if are accents change?
Old Sep 8th 2005, 9:41 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lor

Why would you want to say that
Old Sep 8th 2005, 9:43 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

Yep and some of us, like eatstatic, did return (but for very different reasons), and now we're looking to go back again, so it can't be that bad!

Blossom
Old Sep 8th 2005, 9:46 pm
lor
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Why would you want to say that
Coz i found like a right farmer!
Old Sep 8th 2005, 9:52 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

I see eatstatic is still a happy bundle of fun.

Different folks need different things in their lives.

Just because some people don't like living in oz that is no reason to suggest that no one will like it.

Neither is it a reason for those people not to give it a go.

I would rather try and find I hate it, than not do it and wish in 5 years time when it is too late that i had taken a chance.

Everybody needs to live their own lives, and forcing opinions on others is not being very helpful.

This is only my opinion and is not fact
Old Sep 8th 2005, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Here here

ub40 lol
hugs Lace x
Old Sep 8th 2005, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

hawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of light

But the point is - you move here because it is NOT like the UK/Europe. If you keep moaning about how good it was where you came from Aussies will (not unsurprisingly) get a bit sick of you
Old Sep 8th 2005, 10:15 pm
aussie73

Originally Posted by eatstatic

The first few days in Australia are a merry go round of good(ish) weather, wonder at the cheap petrol prices (not now mind) and the space (outside the main cities).

Give it a month or two and then the realisation sets in that the country is lacking in a few ways compared to the UK/Europe.

The people and the media are very, very inward looking, the outside world only gets mentioned in conversations over sport.

Once you have seen Sydney, Melbourne and the bush and beach, you have pretty much seen the lot.

The cost of living once the Quids are a distant memory is equivelent or worse than Britain.

Aussies have a real big chip on their shoulder concering the POMS.

Unless you are wealthy enough to live in a good bit of Syd/Mel, you will die a thousand deaths in non descript suburbs, or you could live for cheap in Bourke or Cooper Pedy!

You notice that Australia really is full of low IQ rednecks like Wombat 42 that will constantly remind you that "Oz is the best country in the world" even though they have never left the place and have nothing to compare it to.

You then look at your Aussie wages and see why the place is full of wombats 42s, you just cant afford to leave the place!

The supermarkets are expensive and rubbish.

No good beer, curry, chip shops.

Before I get the "Oh we are moving to OZ to escape being stuck in front of the TV". What do you think you will do when its cold and dark by 5 pm in the Southern states in July.
Kong or Eatstatic. Read the link below.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317345

Last edited by aussie73; Sep 8th 2005 at 10:20 pm.

Old Sep 8th 2005, 10:19 pm
Aussie Citizen

Location: Iz Tralia (as said by my 3-yr-old son)... and LOVING it..!!
Rogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to all

Hi Eatstatic,

Thanks for your post. It's good for us to go with an open mind and realistic expectations; posts like this will help to bring some balance to a lot of people's expectations, which should hopefully lessen the impact if things do turn out to be slightly less rosey than expected.

Personally, having been to Australia a number of times, and for long enough for it not to have just been a holiday, I am going with the realistic viewpoint that it is not the UK in the sun - it is a completely different country and I am choosing to embrace that country and all that this entails.

I agree that if people are just looking for a sunny UK then they will be disillusioned because Australia is unique: it is isolated from most western countries, it is vastly bigger than most, it has a vastly smaller population than most... but these things also combine to produce the environment that (from experience) is drawing me back to Australia.

On this point, I couldn't agree more...!!! :scared:
But Australia has everything I personally am looking for. When I read some people's list of reasons for leaving Australia, many of their points are also on my list of reasons to go.

I guess that, as with all aspects of life, this is an acutely personal choice; also, all things are relative: for example, I live in the north of England; the M62 corridor from Liverpool to Hull has approximately the same population as the whole of Australia so I for one am actually looking forward to the chance to, "die a thousand deaths in non descript suburbs"... if you know what I mean ... This is just one example: I don't want to pick your post apart point-by-point because your points are perfectly valid to you personally...

I guess the the fact that there's "two sides to every coin" is what makes this life such an interesting and varied experience.

All the best, in whatever you decide to do.

Rogue.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lor

You go to Kwik fit for those, not 1200 miles to another country.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 10:47 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

I think there's alot of truth in what eatstatic said, however alot of british migrants love it here.

For us, it's not working out at the moment for alot of the reasons that E said, but we have plenty of British friends who love it here. So as already said, you may as well give it a go, you can always go back.

Paul.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.