Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things you've done in Oz

Things you've done in Oz

Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:25 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Things you've done in Oz

When I was waiting to come to Oz, I imagined that it would spur us on to do things that I wouldn't have ordinarily done in the UK.

Surprisingly, it seems I was right

In between getting settled and working Sam and I have:

Gone rock climbing and abseiling at Kangaroo Point

Kayaking down Brisbane River

Taken up surfing

Started playing Golf again

Gone horse riding through Lake Weyba

Everyday stuff like tennis, gym, etc

In the pipeline is...

Going Zorbing in 2 weekends time (http://www.adrenalin.com.au/experien....aspx?view=219)

Off to a spa resort on the sunshine coast next weekend

Plans to try kite surfing and parasailing

Throw in meeting John Howard,
Brisbane Lord and Lady Mayoress Campbell and Lisa Newman,
Channel 9's Melissa Downes,
Channel 7 sports presenter Justin Vievers and Sunrise's Melissa Doyle (surprisingly hubba hubba )...

...and I reckon we've taken to Australia pretty well!!

Can anyone else recommend a weekend get-away / activity round SEQ?

Ta,

R
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:36 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things you've done in Oz

Originally Posted by samnrob2
When I was waiting to come to Oz, I imagined that it would spur us on to do things that I wouldn't have ordinarily done in the UK.

Taken up surfing

In the pipeline is...

Going Zorbing in 2 weekends time (http://www.adrenalin.com.au/experien....aspx?view=219)

Channel 7 sports presenter Justin Vievers and Sunrise's Melissa Doyle (surprisingly hubba hubba )...

Ta,

R
Rob that sounds brilliant - i'm hoping me and Marc will be the same when we get out to Brisbane - so many fun things to do in Brisbane and you tend to get favourable weather to do more outdoors stuff.

I still laugh when I think about your funny surfing story you posted!!!!

Good on ya both,

Lynn
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Taken up surfing

In the pipeline is...

Ta,

R
Wow, you have been having a fantastic time!!!!!

Is there any clubs over there where singles can go along to do the kind of things you've been talking about. I'd really like to have a go at some new things when I get over there but haven't got a partner. I know that being a pair isn't optional but would I look stupid turning up on my own?

I have my kids, who I am really looking forward to doing stuff with but sometimes it is nice to have a bit of adult company

Tracey
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:47 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Rob that sounds brilliant - i'm hoping me and Marc will be the same when we get out to Brisbane - so many fun things to do in Brisbane and you tend to get favourable weather to do more outdoors stuff.

Good on ya both,

Lynn
And don't listen to the doomsayers - Oz (or at least Brisbane) is cheaper way of life.

4 hours of kayaking, rock climbing and abseiling = $45 (would have been over 100 GBP in blighty)

Round of golf and electric buggy hire = $49 (also played at Victoria Park course for $25!! - decent course in England you'd be looking at 25 GBP)

3 hours horse riding = $70 (haven't got a clue how much in the uk, but the scenery we had was priceless - beats the old nags on Blackpool beach!

Everyday that goes by I chuckle to myself about the boring crap weekends we had in the uk. sunny 24 degrees in winter... paradise on earth

R
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

And don't listen to the doomsayers - Oz (or at least Brisbane) is cheaper way of life.

4 hours of kayaking, rock climbing and abseiling = $45 (would have been over 100 GBP in blighty)

Round of golf and electric buggy hire = $49 (also played at Victoria Park course for $25!! - decent course in England you'd be looking at 25 GBP)

3 hours horse riding = $70 (haven't got a clue how much in the uk, but the scenery we had was priceless - beats the old nags on Blackpool beach!

Everyday that goes by I chuckle to myself about the boring crap weekends we had in the uk. sunny 24 degrees in winter... paradise on earth

R
It was refreshing to read your other post about how you find the cost of living so reasonable over there. I get a little worried sometimes when I hear people saying that you need around £80k a year

I will be getting around £30k and have 3 kids but I reckon that we will get by on that.

Tracey
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:51 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Wow, you have been having a fantastic time!!!!!

Is there any clubs over there where singles can go along to do the kind of things you've been talking about. I'd really like to have a go at some new things when I get over there but haven't got a partner. I know that being a pair isn't optional but would I look stupid turning up on my own?

I have my kids, who I am really looking forward to doing stuff with but sometimes it is nice to have a bit of adult company

Tracey
Hi Tracey,

being single ain't a problem. When we went rock climbing we met a fellow pom (who turned out to live in our apartment block!) who was by himself.

I started going down to play tennis by myself but have now made friends down there and am going to a Brissie Lions game with them in a couple of weeks.

Golf...plenty of singles go round

The company at Kangaroo point who organise the kayaking, rock climbing, etc have groups that go out which you can join in with.

They're staring a Storey Bridge climb in a month or so. Not sure if that will take off. $120 seems a bit steep - as does the climb

Surfing is kind of a 'singles thing'. Everytime sam and I go out and try to speak to one another in the sink one of us usually ends up being caught off guard and getting knocked over so probably best you do your own thing out in the sea!!

Plenty of stuff to get involved with.

R
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:57 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Originally Posted by tracey.d
It was refreshing to read your other post about how you find the cost of living so reasonable over there. I get a little worried sometimes when I hear people saying that you need around £80k a year

I will be getting around £30k and have 3 kids but I reckon that we will get by on that.

Tracey
We're very fortunate and probably go against the norm, but we're on decent wages (better than expected).

But it isn't the extra cash that has led us to do all these things. If we were on half the amount we're on we could still afford to do these things. Granted we don't have kids to think about, but on face value, activities are cheaper than the uk. So if you find yourself with roughly the same amount of disposable income (or even a little under) as you had in the UK, you'll be laughing.

Plenty of free stuff to do as well. Simply exploring different areas has been fantastic. Check out Lamington National Park for some amazing walks and scenery (completely free).

Sod the grumpy gits who lilke to moan about everything - life's too short.

R
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sod the grumpy gits who lilke to moan about everything - life's too short.

R
Absolutely
Old Aug 5th 2005, 9:13 pm
BLC

Great post, heres to more fun for you both!

Best wishes
BLC

Old Aug 5th 2005, 9:27 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Good on ya Robbo.

Not all doom and gloom is it m8

Life's what you make it, hubba hubba and all

Old Aug 5th 2005, 9:27 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Good on ya Robbo.

Not all doom and gloom is it m8

Life's what you make it, hubba hubba and all
She's got a touch of the Abby Titmus to her!!
Old Aug 5th 2005, 9:42 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

She's got a touch of the Abby Titmus to her!!
Bit of a Freudian slip

Wishful thinking there me finx

Old Aug 5th 2005, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Taken up surfing

In the pipeline is...

Ta,

R

Hi

can you give a link to the rockclimbing and kayaking company. My 18yr old daughter would love that. She is starting surfing lessons in a few weeks with her younger sister too.
We too do far more things here than we ever did in UK........but lets face it there is so much more to do and the weather does not spoil anything.
Life is too short to be sat around doing nothing........and life is what you make it.
We thoroughly love our life here in Oz.

Amanda
Old Aug 5th 2005, 10:02 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by mand8002
Hi

can you give a link to the rockclimbing and kayaking company. My 18yr old daughter would love that. She is starting surfing lessons in a few weeks with her younger sister too.
We too do far more things here than we ever did in UK........but lets face it there is so much more to do and the weather does not spoil anything.
Life is too short to be sat around doing nothing........and life is what you make it.
We thoroughly love our life here in Oz.

Amanda
Fabulous philosophy and agree 100%

Worthy of karma

Old Aug 5th 2005, 10:12 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun

Good on ya both,

Lynn
I take it you haven't got any kids ????

CORKER

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.