Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things I should bring to OZ

Things I should bring to OZ

Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things I should bring to OZ

Hi, after reading a thread that mentioned bringing our NHS cards to Australia I wondered what else I need to bring.

Can we have a definitive thread that tells us all what we really should bring when we come.

So far we have NHS cards on the list.

Thanks in advance.

Jazzys
Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:35 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things I should bring to OZ

Originally Posted by jazzys
Hi, after reading a thread that mentioned bringing our NHS cards to Australia I wondered what else I need to bring.

Can we have a definitive thread that tells us all what we really should bring when we come.

Thanks in advance.

Jazzys
Passport...
Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Oh god I knew that would happen!

Jazzys
Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:43 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Oh god I knew that would happen!

Jazzys
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

mercmad is an unknown quantity at this point

Bring nothing....speaking from experience the only things you need are simple reminders of the life you leave behind.
Oh...bring money...
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:20 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance.

Jazzys
Why the heck would you bring your NHS cards with you ? Just curious since I cant see absolutely any use in these whatsoever. You'll register for medicare when you get here and nobody here would even know what they were, nevermind actually wanting to see them.

I'm just interested really as thats a first on me.

Last edited by Centurion; Apr 9th 2007 at 9:21 pm. Reason: because it sounded rubbish
Old Apr 9th 2007, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Nhs cards was a new one on me too - panicked for a second or 2 knowing i'd incinerated em all last week ! Then thought hey ho!
Taking proof of no claims on bike and car insurance in case plus documents relating to bikes we own but after that - I can't be arsed. Any other paperwork is personal and only relevent to me in the sentimental stakes like cards and achievements.

For me new life - and i'll start again with all relevent paperwork when i get there on Sunday.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Make sure that you have both pieces of your driving licence, both the plastic and the paper bit.

Also bring any paper work relating to any property that you have sold/rented as it will probably be useful at this end when you come to buy/rent.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Ian.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really nice

Things i wish we had brought- all my school and work certificates and membership of any professional bodies, we came on a 457 and are applying for PR so getting copies is difficult, letters of credit worthiness, possessed a shed load of good credit reference in Uk could not get a CC until advised on here to get Virgin, the good lady scanned a load of personal stuff and brought the Disk . there is good advice and good on bulk as well
ian
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

kirrane is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Ian.C.Williams
Things i wish we had brought- all my school and work certificates and membership of any professional bodies, we came on a 457 and are applying for PR so getting copies is difficult, letters of credit worthiness, possessed a shed load of good credit reference in Uk could not get a CC until advised on here to get Virgin, the good lady scanned a load of personal stuff and brought the Disk . there is good advice and good on bulk as well
ian
ian
im coming out on a 457 visa in the next few weeks . how did you find the process of changing it? did you employ an agent or did your firm help you?
paul
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kirrane
ian
im coming out on a 457 visa in the next few weeks . how did you find the process of changing it? did you employ an agent or did your firm help you?
paul
Dont bring any beer mate ive got it in the fridge ere waiting for you
Old Apr 10th 2007, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks in advance.

Jazzys
Hi,
Anything that helps secure a rental, so letters from previous landlords, mortgage statements, letter from estate agent etc..
Anything relating to professional work, qualifications you need etc
Anything relating to medicines you take, info on glasses prescriptions..
Drivers license

'bout it i think, at least they are the important things
Old Apr 10th 2007, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

InBetween is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks in advance.

Jazzys
How about old Vehicle insurance papers showing you NCD's (if u have any) its worth banging on about it when you need to insure your first car - might save you a penny or two.