Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things that I don't really get....

Things that I don't really get....

Old Oct 3rd 2003, 7:11 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Question Things that I don't really get....

Maybe I'm thick, but:

1. Why do a lot of people buy a house after a few weeks in Oz/NZ???
Why don't you rent for a while first, see where you end up getting a job/like living, and then buy?

2. Why are so many of you really 'migrating'? By this I mean in the sense of it being so permanent? Why don't you say, well, we're going for a while, and then we'll just see?
My idea with this is that you do sell your house and take all your stuff, but still think, 'we can come back'.
Because isn't it a huge step(risk), if you've only been on holiday, or haven't been at all? How do you know for sure you'll like it?

3. Why do people make the move while they haven't sold their house yet, and they are depending on the money??
I guess it's sometimes maybe that the visa needs validating, but why don't you then sell the house earlier and rent for a while?

Anyway, I KNOW this doesn't apply to everybody, but it does to quite a few I've read about on this site. I'm asking about them, and not the many people who do it differently, because of course everybody''s different and has personal reasons etc.

Anyway, I hope you all understand what I mean....

Seeyas round,

Simone

EDIT: I'd like to edit this in. I've posted this on page 2 as well.
Regarding question 2:
This question is aimed at people who are saying: 'well, we are going cos we hate where we are now, and we are probably not coming back!'
So, to be clearer: this question is aimed at people who say: we know it'll be better etc and we won't be coming back.
I know most aren't like this(enough prove in this thread that people do realise they may come back), but I've read enough posts of people who do seem to think this.
And I'm thinking, how can you say that?

Last edited by Simone; Oct 4th 2003 at 8:04 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 7:25 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Default why are we going

Come to england, visit Croydon Luna house every morning see the queue of asylum seekers,drive round the M25 anytime day or night,go on the tube in London try the rush hour/hours,ask me to show you my Council tax bill £1900,buy a litre of petrol,see what happens when we have the wrong snow, why am I going the list is endless,and if Dotty says we have trafic jams to, oh yes five cars stopping at the trafic lights.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Things that I don't really get....

Originally posted by Simone82
Maybe I'm thick, but:

Anyway, I KNOW this doesn't apply to everybody, but it does to quite a few I've read about on this site. I'm asking about them, and not the many people who do it differently, because of course everybody''s different and has personal reasons etc.

Seeyas round,

Simone

We intend the following!
1. Why do a lot of people buy a house after a few weeks in Oz/NZ???Why don't you rent for a while first, see where you end up getting a job/like living, and then buy?

to rent on a short lease maybe six months but hopefully just three, to me rent money is dead money

2. Why are so many of you really 'migrating'? By this I mean in the sense of it being so permanent? Why don't you say, well, we're going for a while, and then we'll just see?
My idea with this is that you do sell your house and take all your stuff, but still think, 'we can come back'.
Because isn't it a huge step(risk), if you've only been on holiday, or haven't been at all? How do you know for sure you'll like it

We will make a best of a go of it in Australia as possible, if and its a huge if it doesn't work then we will try somewhere else, we very much doubt that we will ever come back to England. Yes it is a huge step and even a risk but life would be pretty boring if we didn't take steps, isnt' that why we learn to walk? We are going over for a minimum of 2 years and will stay for ever if we can, if we can't we'll move on to another country but we hope it won't come to that.

3. Why do people make the move while they haven't sold their house yet, and they are depending on the money??
I guess it's sometimes maybe that the visa needs validating, but why don't you then sell the house earlier and rent for a while?

We will sell our house before we go, we will probably put the bungalow on the market after the new year and will not leave any ties in the UK (financially i mean).
regards
rach

Old Oct 3rd 2003, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We have 3 children!! I think that is the main reason that people plan to go permanently- as long as that may mean! We are of the mind set that we will definitely stay for 2 years and get citizenship. If we don't prefer life out there after that then we will come back.

It isn't easy flitting around when you have children, especially as they get older and you have their education/exams to consider. I take it you don't have any kids yet!?

We were planning on renting for 6 months after we arrive, but house prices are still going up fast so we would be losing out on the prospect of making some equity by buying quickly.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 8:03 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nosuchluck
We intend the following!
to rent on a short lease maybe six months but hopefully just three, to me rent money is dead money

We will make a best of a go of it in Australia as possible, if and its a huge if it doesn't work then we will try somewhere else, we very much doubt that we will ever come back to England. Yes it is a huge step and even a risk but life would be pretty boring if we didn't take steps, isnt' that why we learn to walk? We are going over for a minimum of 2 years and will stay for ever if we can, if we can't we'll move on to another country but we hope it won't come to that.

We will sell our house before we go, we will probably put the bungalow on the market after the new year and will not leave any ties in the UK (financially i mean).
1. This I find logical, but 3/6 months I find different to a few weeks.
2. Yes, this I also find logical, still, I still can't see how people are so pretty sure you won't go back to the UK when you've never lived anywhere else?
The minimum of 2 years is the attitude I am also going with.
3. Ok then

Oh, and about the risk taking, yes of course we have to take risks, I am going to a bit too, I'm just thinking to what degree. My opinion is I think people should definetley go, but just don't say you're not coming back, cos I can't see how anyone can say that. But everybody's different!

Good luck with the move! (and selling the house! Am glad I don't have to sell!)
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 8:13 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I'm thick, but:

Why don't you rent for a while first, see where you end up getting a job/like living, and then buy?

Because isn't it a huge step(risk), if you've only been on holiday, or haven't been at all? How do you know for sure you'll like it?

Seeyas round,

Simone

Will rent at first maybe but I agree rent money is dead money so wont be long before we buy
We also have children and you just cant go globe hopping on a whim you have to commit but if the worst came to the worst which I very much doubt we would return
We wont be able to go before our house sells so we are stuck until it does
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

1. This I find logical, but 3/6 months I find different to a few weeks.
2. Yes, this I also find logical, still, I still can't see how people are so pretty sure you won't go back to the UK when you've never lived anywhere else?
The minimum of 2 years is the attitude I am also going with.
3. Ok then

Oh, and about the risk taking, yes of course we have to take risks, I am going to a bit too, I'm just thinking to what degree. My opinion is I think people should definetley go, but just don't say you're not coming back, cos I can't see how anyone can say that. But everybody's different!

Good luck with the move! (and selling the house! Am glad I don't have to sell!)

Hi Simone82
thanks for your reply, neither my husband or i are happy in the UK, we don't like what it has become in our 30 years, maybe it was always like it is and we have just grown up and taken our rose coloured specs off over the years but we are sure that we don't won't to grow old here, who knows what will happen but we are going to Brisbane with the attitude that we will never return, who knows what is in our futures, if we knew that we'd do the lottery tomorrow!
best of luck with your move!
rach
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 8:18 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by tinaj
We have 3 children!! I think that is the main reason that people plan to go permanently- as long as that may mean! We are of the mind set that we will definitely stay for 2 years and get citizenship. If we don't prefer life out there after that then we will come back.

It isn't easy flitting around when you have children, especially as they get older and you have their education/exams to consider. I take it you don't have any kids yet!?

We were planning on renting for 6 months after we arrive, but house prices are still going up fast so we would be losing out on the prospect of making some equity by buying quickly.
Yes, I see how children make a difference. But if your children are at the age that they are coming with you, then if in a while you want to come back, then they'll still be at sort of the right age. The thing I mean is: If you don't like Oz, and are miserable, are you just gonna stay anyway because of the kids?
One thing I've learned from my own and other families experiences is that kids adjust suprisingly easily(in general). And even at 14/15 don't mind moving that much. After that it'll probably get a lot harder...

I don't have kids, but I was a kid myself who had emigrated and reemigrated and moved round heaps.
Of course it's easier without kids or with younger kids.

The bit about the house prices rising: very good point! That could be a reason I guess.

Anyway, thanks for replying, and good luck to you!
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 8:43 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by sky
Will rent at first maybe but I agree rent money is dead money so wont be long before we buy
We also have children and you just cant go globe hopping on a whim you have to commit but if the worst came to the worst which I very much doubt we would return
We wont be able to go before our house sells so we are stuck until it does
Hi Sky,

First of all, before you read next, it's not an attack on you, cos I have no idea about your personal situation, it's just in general.
And I really hope I don't offend anyone, cos that's not why I'm doing this. And I'm also not doing this to put people off. It's just that I'm very curious, and want to understand things. (have been like this my whole life, can be annoying sometimes)

I understand that when you have older children (I don't think with young ones, but other people might think different) you have to commit.
But what I then don't get is how you can commit if you've never lived there before. (My opinion is that no amount of research can prepare you, although it helps of course).
Of course it's about taking risks, but if commiting for the children is important, than why take such a risk? Answer: because you hate UK? But then I say, how do you know, for SURE, that you'll enjoy Oz more, without having lived there first (see above )
So, then I guess I'm saying;
with older kids,
- either don't take the risk, or
- make sure they understand that you may return if it doesn't work out, or
- realise that you may have to leave them behind if you are really miserable, and they are old enough to stay, and want to stay, or
- realise that if you are miserable, but you don't want to leave your grown up kids you'll have to stay in Oz, and bear it.

So am I totally seeing this wrong or missing something? (probably!)
Oh, and I think, with kids up until about 12, I just think you should go, and take the risks. They'll be fine usually, even if you come back (not too late). But that's my opinion...

And Sky: I think it's very sensible staying here till your house sells. I have read about people moving earlier and hoping for a quick sell, I think it's very silly! Unless you have heaps of other money of course!

OK, here goes nothing >submit reply :scared:
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 10:05 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Ok for us (bought a house after 4 weeks) there was lots of factors. Hubby already had a job so the area we could live in was narrowed down a bit. The rent is dead money bit, property market is HOT here if we don't like the area and move later we have made money already on our property. I was sick of moving. We have 2 school age children, schools here there enrollment works on the 'living within the school zone' system. I did not want to enrol them in a school in the zone for the rented house and then make them move schools 3 months later, I think they had had enough upheaval. We wanted to put down some roots.

I think to really get stuck into a new life for me I need to veiw it as permanent or I could be inclined to be a bit half hearted or disheartened at the 1st stumbling block. I view is as permanent but not 'terminal'. In other words I will/can come back if it doesn't work out.

We did sell ours before moving so this doesn't apply to us.

Paula
Old Oct 4th 2003, 12:05 am
Just Joined

Dowster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why are we going

Originally posted by yafm
Come to england, visit Croydon Luna house every morning see the queue of asylum seekers,drive round the M25 anytime day or night,go on the tube in London try the rush hour/hours,ask me to show you my Council tax bill £1900,buy a litre of petrol,see what happens when we have the wrong snow, why am I going the list is endless,and if Dotty says we have trafic jams to, oh yes five cars stopping at the trafic lights.
Come to Melbourne, (add place name of preferred prejudice, there are quite a few) drive round the western ring road, try the citylink in the morning, ask me to show you the stamp duty bill for a house, buy a litre of petrol (with your lower wage and put it in your innefficient Oz car and drive further to work), deal with Oz banks and vic roads, find a poisionous spider in the bath, and a dangerous snake in your garden. See what happens when it rains to the drivers on the freeway, why am I here?

Well the lists are endless, WHERE EVER YOU LIVE! Frankly I wouldn't have moved down to London from the North of England but that's my choice and I'm sure there's plenty of people who would say the exact opposite. So it's horses for courses. If you find negatives were you are, you will find plenty here too. Don't think that you can move from any of those problems you site.

dowster
Old Oct 4th 2003, 8:36 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Hi!

Good points. I didn't answer yafm, because I didn't want to go into that.
Just one small point: there's negatives everywhere, some the same, some different. And of course in different proportions.
And you can't go comparing London to Perth, for example.
And about the asylum seekers: well, got rid of that probelm in Oz nicely didn't they? Just stuff um in the desert! So you don't have to see them in lines. And you can just ignore the problem...
And I don't know excactly, but I'm sure a litre of petrol and tax is just as expensive when paying with an Oz salary.

Now, don't get me wrong, there's heaps of positives, and in the end they might/will out way the negatives, but you will find negatives everywhere, and I believe, especially if you are leaving the UK because of the negatives.

I'm going to Oz because I want something different, a bit of an adventure, and I like Oz. And maybe I hope that on some fronts it'll be a bit nicer than Holland.
But I don't hate Holland.
And I'll be moving from a small town in Holland, to a big city Perth. And that'll probably be very different, not even taking in account the different country. So I'll probably find it very busy and that there'll be more crime. But I'm just thinking of it as an adventure. And if I find I really don't like cities (I think that'll happen after a few years) then we'll either move to the country, or we'll come back to Holland.

Anyway, about being positive and negative. I say be both, but don't go so extreme.
For the dreamers: if Oz was so great, why are there so many Australians and expats moaning about it?

Edit: I edited the bit about Dotty being too negative out. Karrawarra pointed me out that that is ridiculous. I agree, and I actually have USUALLY always found Dotty's posts good, and nice and realistic. I just forgot about that, because one of her posts the other day was just all negative, and it seemed a bit much, trying to keep people away. But on mosts posts I agree with her.

EDIT 2: Oh my god! I've just realised/found out I've made a pretty big mistake! I've been constantly mixing Dotty and Rosy up! How annoying that the names are so alike (in my mind anyway )
Ok so: I think Dotty is totally ok
Rosy also makes good posts, I think. But the post from a while back, ' The real Australia', was only negative, as if there is no positive. I definetly think it's good that she posted, but the way it was said, I didn't really like, at the time. But now I've read it again, I can't find anything wrong with it! So why didn't I like it the first time? I guess it felt like an attack, because unfortunetly there is a little bit of a dreamer in me
Oh dear, I should just think a little longer before I post.... even though I've been getting a headache thinking about all these discussions all evening

Last edited by Simone; Oct 4th 2003 at 9:58 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2003, 10:24 am
Badge

Some great points.

Cost of petrol:

Average salary in Aussie 35-45k
Average salary in UK certainly lower than 35k

Petrol price similar at 80-90p (say) a litre in both countries? So I would say Australia petrol is cheaper. Also you can cruise at 60mph interstate at the most economical speed. Less jams - unless your in the city.

It is true - there are jams in Sydney and Melborne for those that choose to drive - but the public transport systems are more pleasant - people look unstressed and happy - less of a bustle even in rush hour I found.

badge

Old Oct 4th 2003, 10:38 am
Drowning Member

Surfer Chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Our children are 9 & 11. We are going in mind to emigrate forever, but to stop me from panicing I am saying to myself we will give it a good 2 years then reassess.

We are going for a life style change. We need all our money which is tied up in our house, to create the life style we want. We will have a contingancy fund, and plenty of capital in our property. Should we change our minds we can sell up and move back, the most we have lost is money, well, we've done that before.

My husband is a plumber, I have train to be an Architectual Technician, we can come back and have a 'bent' mortgage, we've got one now anyway
Old Oct 4th 2003, 5:05 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by badgersmount
Some great points.

Cost of petrol:

Average salary in Aussie 35-45k
Average salary in UK certainly lower than 35k

Petrol price similar at 80-90p (say) a litre in both countries? So I would say Australia petrol is cheaper. Also you can cruise at 60mph interstate at the most economical speed. Less jams - unless your in the city.

It is true - there are jams in Sydney and Melborne for those that choose to drive - but the public transport systems are more pleasant - people look unstressed and happy - less of a bustle even in rush hour I found.

badge
Thanks for your reply (and Surfer Chick too)!

I don't really have an idea about what things cost, and I don't really think I need too. If Australians themselves can get buy on an Australian salary, then I think I can.
And if everything is so cheap in Australia, then why aren't all Australians rich, driving a new car and living in a house with a pool and a view?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.