Reload this Page >

Things to do on arrival

Things to do on arrival

Old Aug 22nd 2004, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Cruise is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Things to do on arrival

Dear all,

I have been recently granted my PR, just like to know what are the things to do as soon as you arrive in Australia.And is there any time limit in which these things should be done.

Thanks

Cruise
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 11:31 am
Banned

Diprotodon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things to do on arrival

Disembark, acquire a pair of rose tinted spectacles and report your findings here.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 11:53 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cruise
Dear all,

I have been recently granted my PR, just like to know what are the things to do as soon as you arrive in Australia.And is there any time limit in which these things should be done.

Thanks

Cruise
First things first .........

Do you have children ?????

Are you a one income family ?????

First thing (most important thing) is to go to centrelink and register your intention to claim.

I know they say you cant claim anything, but actuallly yes you can.

get the child allowance claim in plus the rent allowance.

Can equall $250 per fortnight (in some cases per week). Speaking to some friends today and there is lots of money available IF you know what to ask for.

Most important info for arrival in OZ is to go to centrelink and state your intention to claim.

Even if you think you are not eligible, still go and state the intention to claim, you might be pleasantly surprised !!!!!!
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 12:08 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mairi&Chris
First things first .........

Do you have children ?????

Are you a one income family ?????

First thing (most important thing) is to go to centrelink and register your intention to claim.

I know they say you cant claim anything, but actuallly yes you can.

get the child allowance claim in plus the rent allowance.

Can equall $250 per fortnight (in some cases per week). Speaking to some friends today and there is lots of money available IF you know what to ask for.

Most important info for arrival in OZ is to go to centrelink and state your intention to claim.

Even if you think you are not eligible, still go and state the intention to claim, you might be pleasantly surprised !!!!!!
Alternatively you could firstly find a place to live then find a place to work then open a bank account to pay your wages into then buy a car to get to work in.
Naaaaa far to difficult just go to centerlink and make a claim
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 12:41 pm
Banned

Diprotodon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cresta57
Alternatively you could firstly find a place to live then find a place to work then open a bank account to pay your wages into then buy a car to get to work in.
10/10 for trying but your words will fall on the deaf ears of the desperate.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 1:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diprotodon
10/10 for trying but your words will fall on the deaf ears of the desperate.
....and also on the ears of those who had been here two months already in January 2004....?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204155
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 2:04 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Naaaaa far to difficult just go to centerlink and make a claim

Isn't that kind of a no-brainer? I think the question was more or less about the things you might not think of...like checking out centerlink. For those with kids (specially single parents) this can mean the difference between struggling and not. Your kids deserve it.. no matter who thinks you don't.

Also, make sure to get a tax file number ASAP, (Can be done online at the ATO website) and do your drivers test to convert to an Australian licence. All of these things get more complicated the longer you wait.

Siren
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 2:07 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, posting as yourself not Mr Siren....... he would've wondered about my last post.........!
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 2:09 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
....and also on the ears of those who had been here two months already in January 2004....?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204155
It's his brother using his login, Polly. That's the excuse they usually use.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 2:13 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Peter
It's his brother using his login, Polly. That's the excuse they usually use.
he had a friend once, too.......
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220208
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 2:14 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

HOW did I miss your link, Pollyana?

Ah, well....can't help 'em all huh?

Ahhh.... yes.. the brother excuse.... that ALWAYS works, doesn't it???
In my case it the other half

Siren
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 2:16 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cruise
Dear all,

Thanks

Cruise
I think you need to get your drivers licence within three months of arriving, but the actual test you need to take will depend on which state you live in.

Your tax file number is a must. It can be applied for online and you will not be able to work without one (at leat we were unable to). Aditionally for the self employed an ABN (Australian Business Number) should be applied for at the same time as your tax file number.

If you are not moving straight into a long term rental property then a PO Box may be a good idea for the first few months until you have an address sorted.

The other things we got as quickly as possible were:

Life insurance, contents insurance, a vehicle and car insurance. You do not want to be still sorting out these things and (god forbid) have an accident or get burgled and find your UK insurance company will not cover you.

Can't think of anything else at the moment...

Mel
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 2:20 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Siren
HOW did I miss your link, Pollyana?

Ah, well....can't help 'em all huh?

Ahhh.... yes.. the brother excuse.... that ALWAYS works, doesn't it???
In my case it the other half

Siren
You can tell I'm bored if I'm tracking the history of posters can't you! I must get some sleep and stop these sarky posts!
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 2:21 pm

...but I LIVE for the sarcy comments!!! Don't stop now! LOL
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 2:24 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Siren
...but I LIVE for the sarcy comments!!! Don't stop now! LOL
I shall return tomorrow/today with more......! Glad someone appreciates them - its not often I dare to post what I really think about some people on here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.