Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things to do in Adelaide and beyond

Wikiposts

Things to do in Adelaide and beyond

Old Dec 10th 2006, 9:20 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to do in Adelaide and beyond

Originally Posted by mysnix
Ditto to that, we find The Gorge wildlife park at cudlee creek much better than Cleland.

On public transport you could:

Take a dolphin cruise on the port river.
Spend the evening in Glenelg - pubs and clubs.
Go for a meal at Windy Point!
Go on the heluva ride jet boat from Glenelg Marina.
Fish and chips on the beach at Brighton.
Snorkeling at Port Norlunga.
Visit the museums for free on North Terrace.
Go shopping at Harbour Town.
Take a picnic and spend the day at a swim centre.
Go for a walk in one of the national Parks - Belair is great - see koalas, emus, echidnas etc. close up.
Got to the moonlight cinema in the botanical gardens.

A bit further out, some tours and transport though:

Views from Mount Lofty.
Mount Lofty Botanical Gardens are lovely.
If you have time spend some time on the river at Mannum - if you have time hire a houseboat, it is fab, especially in summer!
Go and see the worlds biggest rocking horse at Gumeracha.
Go to Lobethal to see the lights.
Go to the Whispering Wall on the way to the Barossa.
Go on a wine trail in the Barossa or the Adelaide Hills or Mclaren Vale - or do all of them. There is also a wine and cheese trail in the Adelaide Hills yumm!
Go to Victor Harbour and walk round Granite Island.
Go to Hahndorf and have a german sausage, in a german (!) pub, with german beer.

Just off the top of my head!

Adelaide being the city of churches is a bit of a myth, we have far more pubs than churches

Have a great stay, check out SATC

By the way we are spending the same period in Sydney what are our must dos???

Nikki
xx
Wow what a list, that will keep us busy when we get back!!
Old Dec 10th 2006, 10:22 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally Posted by chels
OH seems to think we can get a tour bus over there, I'd rather DIY but as time will be limited to the one day we may not have the option. Main thing though is getting to see Kangaroo Island
Great place, been twice. You need 3 days minimum to see enough of it, in my opinion.
http://www.hartill.net/KangarooIsland/
Old Dec 11th 2006, 9:04 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshpom
Great place, been twice. You need 3 days minimum to see enough of it, in my opinion.
http://www.hartill.net/KangarooIsland/
Would love to spend 3 days minimum there, but the main purpose of our trip to Adelaide is to spend time with family and celebrate Christmas with them, and to celebrate a 4 yr old's birthday. Unfortunately it wouldn't go down well if I was to tell them that we were off to spend 3 days on KI!
Old Dec 29th 2006, 9:38 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions. We didn't get to go to Kangaroo Island in the end - it would have been a bit pricey to hire a car / catch the ferry or go on a day trip (over $200!!!) so we plan to go for a few days in the future when I'm in Adelaide for longer and we don't have Christmas / birthday commitments.

We did get to go to Hahndorf, which OH esp. liked as he spent a year teaching in Germany, and I liked because I stuffed myself on cake, fudge, cheese and wine!!!

We also went around the city centre (finally, on my 3rd visit to Adelaide) and visited the art gallery, museum and sat by the river.

And last, but not least, I visited... Marion Westfield Had to keep the MIL happy, you see, and help her find an exclusive, no one will be wearing this in England, outfit.

Of course, as soon as I left Adelaide they did lots of fun things (OH is still there until tomorrow night), like driving round wineries etc. Grrrr

This was definitely my best trip so far to Adelaide, and that's down to all your helpful suggestions

btw I didn't notice an abundance of churches or pubs! But I did notice how spacious everything is compared to inner west Sydney, and loads of flowers (agapanthus?)
Old Dec 29th 2006, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions. We didn't get to go to Kangaroo Island in the end - it would have been a bit pricey to hire a car / catch the ferry or go on a day trip (over $200!!!) so we plan to go for a few days in the future when I'm in Adelaide for longer and we don't have Christmas / birthday commitments.

We did get to go to Hahndorf, which OH esp. liked as he spent a year teaching in Germany, and I liked because I stuffed myself on cake, fudge, cheese and wine!!!

We also went around the city centre (finally, on my 3rd visit to Adelaide) and visited the art gallery, museum and sat by the river.

And last, but not least, I visited... Marion Westfield Had to keep the MIL happy, you see, and help her find an exclusive, no one will be wearing this in England, outfit.

Of course, as soon as I left Adelaide they did lots of fun things (OH is still there until tomorrow night), like driving round wineries etc. Grrrr

This was definitely my best trip so far to Adelaide, and that's down to all your helpful suggestions

btw I didn't notice an abundance of churches or pubs! But I did notice how spacious everything is compared to inner west Sydney, and loads of flowers (agapanthus?)

Glad you had a good time. It was a bit cold for you as well wasn't it
Old Dec 29th 2006, 9:43 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

l thought Kangaroo Island was the best part of the state, should try it next time.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 9:50 pm
Mozzie magnet

Originally Posted by Wendy
Glad you had a good time. It was a bit cold for you as well wasn't it
I had to wear the same pair of jeans for six days, as the alternative was shorts and a skirt and it was too darned cold to bare my legs! Oh well, it gave me the opportunity to say to the in-laws 'I told you so', they've never before believed us when we've told them how cold it can get

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
l thought Kangaroo Island was the best part of the state, should try it next time.
It was disappointing not to be able to visit, but $400 for a day trip for two of us seemed a bit extravagent for such a short visit. Hopefully next time we can hire a car and spend a few days over there, and explore it properly.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

I phoned my brother in Adelaide on Christmas morning...and he said he couldn't remember a colder Christmas Day...but as usual they were having a ball