Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things to do in Adelaide and beyond

Things to do in Adelaide and beyond

Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:20 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things to do in Adelaide and beyond

I'm spending the festive period in Adelaide with OH's family, including my in-laws. We hope to visit Kangaroo Island, and a winery or two, and we've been to places like Glenelg.

Any other suggestions for fun things to do? Preferably things we can do without a car, for when we can't get OH's brother to chauffer us around
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:27 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to do in Adelaide and beyond

Originally Posted by chels
I'm spending the festive period in Adelaide with OH's family, including my in-laws. We hope to visit Kangaroo Island, and a winery or two, and we've been to places like Glenelg.

Any other suggestions for fun things to do? Preferably things we can do without a car, for when we can't get OH's brother to chauffer us around
I believe there are plenty of churches in Adelaide, Maybe you could have a religious experience, and try to visit as many of them as you can in a specific time period. That sounds like the sort of fun I would really enjoy.

You could contribute to all of the collection plates as you went...

S
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Which suburb will you be in?

Don't want to suggest something to do down south if your staying in Gawler or the Barossa Valley
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Whereabouts in Adelaide are you staying? I lived there for 31 years but it would be handy if you had a car Glenelg has changed a lot over the last few years, not sure if it's for the better though I've been to Kangaroo Island many times, taking visitors. It's not too bad in summer but in winter it can be quite desolate. I love Rocky River though, although the emu's can be very inquisitive to say the least Hope you enjoy your stay, wish I was going back there for Christmas
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I believe there are plenty of churches in Adelaide, Maybe you could have a religious experience, and try to visit as many of them as you can in a specific time period. That sounds like the sort of fun I would really enjoy.

You could contribute to all of the collection plates as you went...

S

I do that every day.

Honest
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

As I have mentioned before, I have no idea why it is called 'The City Of Churches'...but at least next to each church there is a pub
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
As I have mentioned before, I have no idea why it is called 'The City Of Churches'...but at least next to each church there is a pub

Ah, so that's why every time I put $5 in a collection plate I get a pint
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:34 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Which suburb will you be in?

Don't want to suggest something to do down south if your staying in Gawler or the Barossa Valley
Oh gosh, that's a question - I'm staying at 'XX and XX's house'!!!

Few minutes later...

Just googled a few words to try to remember, and the suburb is Seaview Downs. I think. It's not far from the Marion Westfield (had to google that too, I thought it was called Miranda but that's the one in Sydney. Knew it was a girl's name though ). Quite hilly and you can see the sea!!
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh gosh, that's a question - I'm staying at 'XX and XX's house'!!!

Few minutes later...

Just googled a few words to try to remember, and the suburb is Seaview Downs. I think. It's not far from the Marion Westfield (had to google that too, I thought it was called Miranda but that's the one in Sydney. Knew it was a girl's name though ). Quite hilly and you can see the sea!!

Right, I know that one. Give me a while I'll just go check out my tourist book
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

Mount Lofty.....you can see over the whole of Adelaide and there is a cafe up there and walks to go on.

Cleeland Wildlife Park is OK especially with kids.

Go to Victor Harbour and walk over to Granite Island and see the penguins.

LibbyX
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:38 am
Mozzie magnet

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
Whereabouts in Adelaide are you staying? I lived there for 31 years but it would be handy if you had a car Glenelg has changed a lot over the last few years, not sure if it's for the better though I've been to Kangaroo Island many times, taking visitors. It's not too bad in summer but in winter it can be quite desolate. I love Rocky River though, although the emu's can be very inquisitive to say the least Hope you enjoy your stay, wish I was going back there for Christmas
This will be my first visit to Kangaroo Island, OH has been before and had a wonderful time so I'm really looking forward to it

We may hire a car for a day or two - I'm assuming you can hire a car for that short a period
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Take a look at this link for a few idea's http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/guides/bestplaces.html

If you pick up this booklet from the newsagents or the metro office there are a few money off vouchers at the back. http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/guid...best_place.pdf

You might get some more idea's from here http://www.sacentral.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm

Cleland wildlife park is fabulous, our kids really enjoyed themselves there (me too ).
Old Dec 8th 2006, 5:03 am
Mozzie magnet

Originally Posted by Wendy
Take a look at this link for a few idea's http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/guides/bestplaces.html

If you pick up this booklet from the newsagents or the metro office there are a few money off vouchers at the back. http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/guid...best_place.pdf

You might get some more idea's from here http://www.sacentral.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm

Cleland wildlife park is fabulous, our kids really enjoyed themselves there (me too ).

Thanks Wendy, you're a real star! Karma on the way
Old Dec 8th 2006, 5:04 am
Mozzie magnet

Originally Posted by LIBBY
Cleeland Wildlife Park is OK especially with kids.

LibbyX
Errr - no kids. We don't all have them!! But we are young at heart, so that sounds like a good option anyway.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Errr - no kids. We don't all have them!! But we are young at heart, so that sounds like a good option anyway.

It's lovely you'll love it.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know (I've been in the pub all aft so brains not 100% just now )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.