Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things cannot bring to Oz

Wikiposts

Things cannot bring to Oz

Old May 19th 2004, 9:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I remember coming through Customs at Brissie, in the "Stuff to declare" line, and the bloke in front of me said he had a bit of food. So they opened his suitcase and it was full of fresh meat, with pizzas laid on top of it! Ever so neatly packed!!!
Old May 19th 2004, 9:18 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Things cannot bring to Oz

*double post*

Last edited by Ulujain; May 19th 2004 at 9:25 pm.
Old May 19th 2004, 9:19 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Things cannot bring to Oz

Originally posted by bondipom
Thats because they pull over a lot of people, especially ethnic old ladies stuffed with salamis. The system is even tighter than the US so I always declare (the extra bottle of scotch means I have to).
The US is probably very tight now post 9/11 but on the two times I have entered the US via LAX I probably could've walked in carrying an anti-tank rifle and three hand grenades and they would've waved me through and told me to have a nice day. The IATA weren't kidding when they gave LA the LAX code-name.
Old May 19th 2004, 9:35 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by l_jg
Hi,

I've also been looking into this.... does anyone have any idea if you can take fossils and stones (semi precious) into Oz?

We are only planning on taking these type of things, a few books and some clothes as they are our collectable nicknacks that we don't want to sell / give away. I've searched on the AQIS website and customs, but can't find anything about fossils in particular..... Anybody taken any over and had problems??

Also, fumigation etc. how much did it cost you all? We will only have a couple of boxes of stuff that might need fumigation (wooden ornaments) do they charge by the item or boxload?

Thanks
Lisa
Fossils you may have to produce ,a letter of authenticity, so as to say they are not stolen, stones low value no probs , sapphires,emeralds ,topaz,ruby& diamonds , may require import duty?? , the worst thing i have seen recently, was a new "CHUM" who put on his B534, that he was carrying a conch shell, now apparently he did not know ,were it was packed, and conch being an endangered species , customs wanted to site it, after about 3 hr s , at $126 an hr,we found it , it was old and pre , en -date, so if you have any thing your not sure of ditch it, or put it were it is easily found,........................ MM
Old May 20th 2004, 12:22 am
Sydney since Oct 04

l_jg is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Mr Mover!

I don't have any receipts for any of the fossils, they are just £5 small items that I've picked up at markets / shops, or picked up off beaches myself.... I emailed customs but they just sent me a link to their website where I couldn't find any info on fossils and was the reason that I emailed them in the first place

I'll definitely pack them somewhere easy to find though, I don't fancy paying $126 an hour to search my bags!

Thanks
Lisa

Originally posted by mr mover
Fossils you may have to produce ,a letter of authenticity, so as to say they are not stolen, stones low value no probs , sapphires,emeralds ,topaz,ruby& diamonds , may require import duty?? , the worst thing i have seen recently, was a new "CHUM" who put on his B534, that he was carrying a conch shell, now apparently he did not know ,were it was packed, and conch being an endangered species , customs wanted to site it, after about 3 hr s , at $126 an hr,we found it , it was old and pre , en -date, so if you have any thing your not sure of ditch it, or put it were it is easily found,........................ MM