Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is there still a need for Plumbers

Is there still a need for Plumbers

Old Jan 26th 2012, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

andystone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is there still a need for Plumbers

Hi all, im new to all this (just signed up), was just wondering whether there is still a need for plumbers/heating engineers in Australia, and if so which areas. Am thinking of emigrating with my partner and 2 kids.
Any advice or job offers welcome.

Andy x
Old Jan 26th 2012, 10:40 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there still a need for Plumbers

Originally Posted by andystone
Hi all, im new to all this (just signed up), was just wondering whether there is still a need for plumbers/heating engineers in Australia, and if so which areas. Am thinking of emigrating with my partner and 2 kids.

Andy x
Do you have the skills required to apply for a visa?
Old Jan 26th 2012, 10:59 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Andy x
Hi Andy

Start here....http://www.immi.gov.au/

Plumber .......http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupati...er-general.htm

If you apply for a General Skilled Migration visa on or after 1 July 2011 and you are not nominated by a
State or Territory Government, you must nominate an occupation from Schedule 1 of the Skilled
Occupation List.

SOL (Skilled Occupation List)...http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1.pdf

Types of Skilled Migration Visa'a http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sh...categories.htm

Recommend migration agent, you can get free advice from the one we used... www.iscah.com (In Perth)

More links..... check the house prices carefully......
www.reiwa.com (WA only)
www.realestate.com.au (All Oz)

TRA..... Trades Recognition Australia http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...s/default.aspx

Good luck mate!
Old Jan 27th 2012, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

hmunker is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you still scored on age...Isnt it more difficult over the age of 45?
Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:02 pm
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

Andy, have you considered looking next door to NZ?
There will be a big demand for all the building trades soon in Christchurch, once the insurance companies start authorising repairs and rebuilds to the damaged houses. They are actively recruiting in the UK at the moment I believe and once you have been out here a while, you can get NZ citizenship which entitles you to restricted residency in Australia.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 11:11 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hmunker
Are you still scored on age...Isnt it more difficult over the age of 45?
Booklet 6, General Skilled Migration, contains detailed information about applying to migrate to Australia for people who are highly skilled, are under 50 years of age and who will quickly make a contribution to the Australian economy.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books6.htm
Old Jan 28th 2012, 6:49 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

BritishExpats also has a forum specifically for plumbers that you might want to look at as well http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=119
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:18 am
Just Joined

andystone is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replys, yes would be worth looking into NZ as well, thankyou.
think i would qualify as i have served a full 4 year apprenticeship and have 5 years post apprenticeship experianece, the last 2 i have been self employed. i also have natural gas and also Lpg qualifications, but would i have to convert/resit my quals?
I dont think age would be an issue as im only 28.
Does anyone know whether there is a definate need for plumbers as could not take the risk of going only to struggle finding work, also any ideas on pay?
thanks again for the responses

Andy
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:30 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replys, yes would be worth looking into NZ as well, thankyou.
think i would qualify as i have served a full 4 year apprenticeship and have 5 years post apprenticeship experianece, the last 2 i have been self employed. i also have natural gas and also Lpg qualifications, but would i have to convert/resit my quals?
Does anyone know whether there is a definate need for plumbers as could not take the risk of going only to struggle finding work, also any ideas on pay?

Andy
in order for people to point you in the right direction you would be better to add which state you intend living in as each state has a different way of applying the licencing rules and requirements

regards steve

ps also have a look in plumbers section
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=119
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:34 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Andy
For current salary rates the best place to look is www.hays.com.au and click on their salary guide and then select the industry and role you are interested in. (Hays are one of the largest recruitment agents in Australia and have a really good grasp of market conditions across ANZ).

Some of major players in LNG in OZ are Woodside, Chevron, BHP Billiton & Shell, as well as Clough, WorleyParsons, Aker Kvaerner & SKM. You could also try FosterWheeler (not a huge OZ presence at the moment but aggressively looking to get bigger).

I think all of these companies have UK offices, so maybe another option for you is apply to the UK office of one of them and then get an 'internal' transfer to OZ in a couple of years? You would need to research each company carefully as they all have their good and bad points (some more bad than good IMHO but YMMV).