Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is there a small claims court system in Australia?

Is there a small claims court system in Australia?

Old Oct 28th 2004, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Is there a small claims court system in Australia?

6mths ago we moved house from one part of Adelaide to another. Prior to this we had signed up to an ISP who provided us with broadband. When we moved we informed the company that the new area was not able to give us this service and therefore we did not need it. They said that they COULD provide it and would help sort it out and set it up for us with telstra. During the last 6mths we have still been paying the broadband monthly charges even though we were not getting it, and several weeks ago this company admitted defeat saying that our phone system could not support a broadband connection.
They then agreed to refund us all the extra charges we had paid over the previous 6mths.
So far we have been to the old cliche "cheques in the post" 3 times and we have never received it. Then they told us seveal days ago that they would electronically deposit the money into our bank account. I hasnt happened!!
We are really angry about it now as they owe us several hundred dollars in back payments

Does anyone here know if theres small claims system like in the UK that we can threaten them with, and if so, is it a costly process?
Old Oct 28th 2004, 11:48 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there a small claims court system in Australia?

Podgy, yes there is a small claims court & yes, its cheap.

This is Qlds one

http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/courts...factsheet1.htm

Try your local police station or magistrates court for info in SA.

Good Luck .
Old Oct 28th 2004, 11:51 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Heres some info on the SA one for you .

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index...mItemId/341848
Old Oct 28th 2004, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Thanx Mrs DB ... great to have you back BTW!

Hope you enjoyed your trip
Old Oct 28th 2004, 12:24 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by podgypossum
Thanx Mrs DB ... great to have you back BTW!

Hope you enjoyed your trip
I think they spent loads of money so must have had a great time
Old Oct 28th 2004, 1:10 pm
Rocket Scientist

Nice to see you too Podgy, also very glad to be back, Dagboy even more so I think!

Moneypen, did I meet you at the pub at Cole Green or not? As for spending money, boy, you dont know the half of it, cuurrently getting quotes to ship back a half a 20 foot container full of antique furniture that I ended up buying :scared: .
Old Oct 28th 2004, 1:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
As for spending money, boy, you dont know the half of it, cuurrently getting quotes to ship back a half a 20 foot container full of antique furniture that I ended up buying :scared: .
Must remember this and mention it to The Bloke next time he gives me a "look" for spending $50 in Ikea....he doesn't know how lucky he is!
Apart from the shopping, how was the trip??
Old Oct 28th 2004, 3:13 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Nice to see you too Podgy, also very glad to be back, Dagboy even more so I think!

Moneypen, did I meet you at the pub at Cole Green or not? As for spending money, boy, you dont know the half of it, cuurrently getting quotes to ship back a half a 20 foot container full of antique furniture that I ended up buying :scared: .
Only in passing. Was sitting at other end of table and didn't have a chance to say hi, so "hi"
Old Oct 28th 2004, 3:49 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by podgypossum
6mths ago we moved house from one part of Adelaide to another. Prior to this we had signed up to an ISP who provided us with broadband. When we moved we informed the company that the new area was not able to give us this service and therefore we did not need it. They said that they COULD provide it and would help sort it out and set it up for us with telstra. During the last 6mths we have still been paying the broadband monthly charges even though we were not getting it, and several weeks ago this company admitted defeat saying that our phone system could not support a broadband connection.
They then agreed to refund us all the extra charges we had paid over the previous 6mths.
So far we have been to the old cliche "cheques in the post" 3 times and we have never received it. Then they told us seveal days ago that they would electronically deposit the money into our bank account. I hasnt happened!!
We are really angry about it now as they owe us several hundred dollars in back payments

Does anyone here know if theres small claims system like in the UK that we can threaten them with, and if so, is it a costly process?
Before you go that route telephone the Obudsmun...... thta can makes things happen. Sure Small claims can only cost 20 to 30 dollars but it is a hassle.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 1:58 am
Rocket Scientist

Moneypen, sorry bout that, we got dragged back to Arnies place to deliver that chest of drawers & ended up annoying them for the rest of the afternoon. Poor people still havent recovered Im sure, they've not been seen since, lying dead in their armchairs, bored to death by our constant ramblings I think :scared: LOL. Should have a sign I think "Beware, we talk alot, you may not get a word in!" .

Polly, had a good time, but am glad to be home. Dagboy is happy again now we are home, despite enjoying seeing his family, he hated it there & spent his whole time wishing that he was back here in Oz.

Dont think we'll be going back to visit for a while. He enjoyed "the holiday" & going to Italy & France etc but thats about it. As for moving back there, I dont think you could pay him enough money for him to ever want to move back. Wild horses wouldnt drag him back .

So now back home, trying to frantically organise things so we can move into our new house next month & be organised & get a pool in intime for xmas .

(sorry podgy, have hijacked your thread! )
Old Oct 29th 2004, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

No Worries Mrs DB... you gave me the info i needed. Compant in question has been given 24hrs to put the money back into our account or they are being sued!! They have promised to do it... we shall see

We shall be buying our first Aussie home in the next couple of months. Best of luck with the move
Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Unfortunately I know the answer to this one, yes! And we will be attending one next month, by invitation of our previous landlady.

I will keep you posted as to what it is like. If I survive the stress of it all that is.

The wait for a date was about 8 weeks.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:19 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinaj
Unfortunately I know the answer to this one, yes! And we will be attending one next month, by invitation of our previous landlady.

I will keep you posted as to what it is like. If I survive the stress of it all that is.

The wait for a date was about 8 weeks.
Sorry about this PP another thread hijack
Hey Tina,
Are you certified now??
Scuba wise of course